USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I keep seeing a St Penelope listed among the Forty Holy Virgin Martyrs of Thrace, then some sources say that She was St Irene and was Penelope only before her conversion.

So is Penelope taken / given as a saint's name in your communion?

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The 40 virgin martyrs are apparently:

Celsina, Theoclia, Theoctista, Dorothy, Eutychia, Thecla, Aristaineta, Philadelphia, Mary, Veronica, Euthymia, Lamprotatia, Euphymia, Theodora, Theodota, Teteia, Aquilina, Theodulia, Aplodora, Lampadia, Procopia, Paula, Junilla, Ampliana, Percissa, Polynicia, Maura, Gregoria, Cyria, Bassa, Callinica, Barbara, Cyriacia, Agathonica, Justa, Irene, Matrona, Timothea, Tatiana, and Anna, and Martyr Ammon the deacon, their teacher, at Heraclea in Thrace

I don't see a Penelope in that list. I do see that there is an icon of a "Saint Penelope" on the market, but I cannot read Greek so I cannot truly tell if that is the name on the icon or not.

I searched derivatives of the name and came up with nothing as well.

Upvote 0

GoingByzantine

Seeking the Narrow Road
Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2013
✟92,845.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Never mind:

Great Martyr Irene

Looks like Irene's original name was Penelope. This makes Penelope an acceptable baptismal name for children and converts to Orthodoxy and Catholicism, if they would like Irene to be their patron saint.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The 40 virgin martyrs are apparently:

Celsina, Theoclia, Theoctista, Dorothy, Eutychia, Thecla, Aristaineta, Philadelphia, Mary, Veronica, Euthymia, Lamprotatia, Euphymia, Theodora, Theodota, Teteia, Aquilina, Theodulia, Aplodora, Lampadia, Procopia, Paula, Junilla, Ampliana, Percissa, Polynicia, Maura, Gregoria, Cyria, Bassa, Callinica, Barbara, Cyriacia, Agathonica, Justa, Irene, Matrona, Timothea, Tatiana, and Anna, and Martyr Ammon the deacon, their teacher, at Heraclea in Thrace

I don't see a Penelope in that list. I do see that there is an icon of a "Saint Penelope" on the market, but I cannot read Greek so I cannot truly tell if that is the name on the icon or not.

I searched derivatives of the name and came up with nothing as well.
But sometimes you see this list. as here:

Adamantine, Athena, Akrive, Antigone, Arivea, Aspasia, Aphrodite, Dione, Dodone, Elpinike, Erasmia, Erato, Ermeneia, Evterpe, Thaleia, Theanoe, Theano, Theonymphe, Theophane, Kalliroe, Kalliste, Kleio, Kleonike, Kleopatra, Koralia, Lambro, Margarita, Marianthe, Melpomene, Moscho, Ourania, Pandora, Penelope, Polymnia, Polynike, Sapfo, Terpsichore, Troada, Haido, and Harikleia.

Edit: I see your post 3, thanks. Yeah, makes sense.

Upvote 0