So what exactly is a Moderate Christian anyway?

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are absolutely right, Chaos. He is the epitome of a moderate.

For the longest time I've been under the misapprehension that the only way to get to the radical inclusiveness and social justice of the Gospel is to also embrace a radical liberalism.

That's not true.

Looking at examples like Carter and Gordon Cosby I've come to realize that traditional orthodoxy points straight at what I've always viewed as the necessary outcomes of the Gospel.

So that's why I'm here. Attempting to make sense of this new understanding.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Our forum specific logo should be a portrait of Jimmy Carter.

He expresses both a traditional conservatism regarding orthodoxy and a desire to pursue the radical inclusiveness and social justice embedded in the Gospel.

My first instict is
7.gif
but I'm willing to hear it out~Carter and Conservative sorta never said in the same breath AFAIK; but then maybe I jes need educated ;)

He's my first president I ever really followed~I remember Nixon & Ford, but Carter was my first taste of actually paying attention to politics, and, well, it wasn't the best of times...but you would be speaking of his post presidency stuff, right?

Upvote 0

GreenMunchkin

Likes things. And stuff. But mostly things.
Site Supporter
Jan 21, 2007
United Kingdom of wo0t
✟99,941.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For the longest time I've been under the misapprehension that the only way to get to the radical inclusiveness and social justice of the Gospel is to also embrace a radical liberalism.

That's not true.

Looking at examples like Carter and Gordon Cosby I've come to realize that traditional orthodoxy points straight at what I've always viewed as the necessary outcomes of the Gospel.

So that's why I'm here. Attempting to make sense of this new understanding.
:hug: :hug: :hug: Those 3 represent about a million of 'em.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
For me (and I've had multiple theologically conservative pastors agree with me) while I consider my self conservative theologically, I often find that some "conservatives" get too hung up on certain issues that don't matter in the grand scheme of things. Based on that I feel that I have what many may consider "moderate" views.

edie

When I first read this last night. I knew what you are talking about. I have had issues with people that got hung up on issues that didn't really matter and out of my control. I rather discuss the real issues.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
but you would be speaking of his post presidency stuff, right?

I don't know that there's a lot of difference between President Carter and Jimmy Carter, the man who once was President.

But yes, I am mostly looking at his efforts through the Carter Center in terms of what I call the radical inclusiveness and social justice of the Gospel.

But, keep in mind, Carter (IIRC) had all the alcohol removed from the White House. He's pretty much an old fashioned Baptist.

Anyhoo, this isn't a discussion of Carter per se, but why he's an example to look to when we ask 'So what exactly is a Moderate Christian anyway?'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
:sorry: never heard of Gordon Cosby...had to google & find out about him there's not even a wikipedia article...

Cosby is the founder of the Church of the Saviour. Googling Church of the Saviour will turn up more stuff. Gordon himself doesn't have much of a presence on the web.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Our forum specific logo should be a portrait of Jimmy Carter.

He expresses both a traditional conservatism regarding orthodoxy and a desire to pursue the radical inclusiveness and social justice embedded in the Gospel.
Well, yes, he does, and I admire him for that. I think he's a genuinely good man and a good Christian, and a fine example of the spirit of moderation. But I still don't think he was a very good President.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Well you're going to a fun and surpising addition to our little group :D Good insights! Glad you made it to our little place. :)

Give it a week and you'll be calling me a heretic and making up the bonfires. :wave:

However, that week might be fun.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I'd like to think that you are correct, yet I have never strayed from any of those values, but have been consistently warned away from community with the conservatives of the forum... I really do think a certain level of exclusivity is implied by the claiming of the label.

I think a certain defensiveness is almost inevitable from conservatism. I have never ventured to visit there myself, and have no idea how I would be received. But I think it helps to try to think as others think, before judging them. Just as we all contain both male and female, we all contain both liberal and conservative.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I think a certain defensiveness is almost inevitable from conservatism. I have never ventured to visit there myself, and have no idea how I would be received. But I think it helps to try to think as others think, before judging them. Just as we all contain both male and female, we all contain both liberal and conservative.

Excellent point!
And a good reason not to label ourselves.
There is a continuum between extreme conservative and extreme liberal, and I doubt that any of us are at exactly the same point on that line.

(And, FWIW, you would be welcomed by most atCC!)

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
(And, FWIW, you would be welcomed by most atCC!)

I am welcomed almost everywhere to start with.:sorry: Even the Mormons thought I was lovely for about a week. :ebil:

(And I appear to already have a stalker of the less than liberal persuasion, who has reported about ten of my posts in the past week or so, scattering accusations of blasphemy like confetti. I am not sure I want to acquire any more such. ^_^ )

Reactions: higgs2
Upvote 0