Should I be concerned about storing a Bluetooth keyboard in a vehicle in whether extremes?

Belonging to Abba

Jesus loves you!!!
Jun 27, 2015
✟39,235.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have read that storing electronics with Lithium-Ion batteries in a hot or freezing whether negatively effects the batteries. The instructions on a Garmin GPS are to not store the device in temperatures below 32 degrees or above 78 degrees F, but I am breaking that rule and just storing the GPS in the glove box.

If I decide to start storing a Bluetooth keyboard to use with my phone in the car, will that negatively impact the battery? Should I consider storing the keyboard in my locker while I am at work when it gets hotter out? I have been in the habit of leaving the keyboard at home, but recently I have started to want to take the keyboard in my car so I can take it to the park after work and type on my phone. Also it is a Logitech “Keys to Go” keyboard, so I think it is the intended use to take the keyboard with me places.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟97,591.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have read that storing electronics with Lithium-Ion batteries in a hot or freezing whether negatively effects the batteries. The instructions on a Garmin GPS are to not store the device in temperatures below 32 degrees or above 78 degrees F, but I am breaking that rule and just storing the GPS in the glove box.

If I decide to start storing a Bluetooth keyboard to use with my phone in the car, will that negatively impact the battery? Should I consider storing the keyboard in my locker while I am at work when it gets hotter out? I have been in the habit of leaving the keyboard at home, but recently I have started to want to take the keyboard in my car so I can take it to the park after work and type on my phone. Also it is a Logitech “Keys to Go” keyboard, so I think it is the intended use to take the keyboard with me places.
Storing a Bluetooth keyboard in a car's glovebox in weather extremes could potentially cause some damage to the keyboard over time. It is best to store the keyboard inside the home instead.

Reasons to avoid in-car storage of keyboard:

1. Temperature: Extreme temperatures can affect the internal components of the keyboard, especially batteries if it's a wireless one. Prolonged exposure to high temperatures can cause the batteries to swell or leak, leading to malfunctions. On the other hand, extremely low temperatures can cause the batteries to drain faster and may make it difficult for the keyboard to function properly.
2. Humidity: A glovebox can be a moist environment, especially in hot and humid weather or during heavy rain. Moisture can seep into the keyboard and damage its internal components, causing corrosion or sticky keys.
3. Shakes: Cars experience a lot of shaking from the engine, bumps in the road, and other sources. This can potentially damage the delicate internal components of the keyboard over time.

However, many Bluetooth keyboards are designed to be portable (such as your Logitech, good brand by the way) and can withstand some temperature, shakes and humidity fluctuations. If you plan on storing a keyboard in your car's glovebox, consider investing in a protective case to shield it from extreme temperatures and moisture. Additionally, try to keep the temperature inside the glovebox as consistent as possible by avoiding prolonged exposure to extreme temperatures or direct sunlight by parking your car in the garage.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide whether the potential risks of storing a Bluetooth keyboard in your car's glovebox outweigh the convenience. If you use it frequently, it might be better to keep it with you in a backpack or store it in a more temperature-controlled environment when not in use.

Upvote 0