Nova Scotia
✟15,132.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Others
I was born and raised Catholic, and was active in the church for well over a decade and a half (I'm only 23). I strayed from the church and dabbled with several other religions (most not Christian). I think God may be calling me back to the church though, and am strongly considering a reversion to Catholicism. How does one know for sure? During my time away from the church, I learned that I really don't know a whole lot about Catholicism. Certainly not as much as one who was raised in the church should know. Sure, I know the basics, but when it comes to the deep stuff, I am at a loss. Where does someone like me learn about who I was born to be? Where I do learn about the faith of my ancestors? Is there a good book to read? I was considering going to a class, but that may not be possible right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :) God bless,
~littlelamb~

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife is a cradle Catholic and I am a new Catholic and we have learned together through free resources.

Here are some links to sites:

Letter from men of the early church to other christian churches - http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/

Catholic encyclopedia - http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/index.html

Answers to many Catholic questions and answers for defending your faith (See Library links in upper left) - http://www.catholic.com/

Also check out the Hsitory section at this site and read what fellow Catholic shave written to and responded. Also ask questions in OBOB.

Upvote 0

Virgil the Roman

Young Fogey & Monarchist-Distributist . . .
Jan 14, 2006
Kentucky
✟64,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
These are treasure-troves of Spiritual riches contained with these catechisms that and a version of the Holy Catholic Bible such as:

Douay-Rheims

http://www.newadvent.org/bible/

Although this website NewAdvent.org website has the the same Bible version as the link above; it contains a most excellent encyclopedia about our Holy Catholic Faith.

Another on-line version of Catholic Scripture may be found below:

The New Jerusalem Bible

Of Note:
I sincerely recommend to you a good solid orthodox Catholic Version of the Holy Bible, the reason, being as Protestant bibles such as the :NIV, KJV, NKJV, etc. are missing the Deuterocanon (seven Old Testament books, which the Holy Catholic Church in her wisdom and guided by the Holy Ghost deemed canonical and thus were put in the canon of the Holy Bible by the One True Holy Catholic Apostolic Church. )Furthermore, protestant versions of the Bible are purposefully translated in order to avoid most Catholic Interpretations of Holy Scripture and when this not done with the scriptural texts themselves, often heretical and anti-Catholic footnotes or commentary is used with the various Protestant bibles. Therefore, I urge caution when using a distorted and incomplete version of Scripture as the Protestant Scriptures are; which are oftentimes such as the few that I mentioned above. Thus one should only use Protestant Bibles as a secondary source in conjunction with a Catholic Bible as primary source, when in comparing the differences between the Holy Catholic Faith, and the various Protestant Sects' faiths and in order to better instruct one's self and others on how the Holy Catholic Church alone can correctly guard and interpret Holy Scriptures as she is guarded by the Holy Ghost as opposed to the lack of the fullness of the Christian faith found often in Protestant scriptures.

In Christ's Peace,
Matthew

Below are a list of good Catholic Apologetics sites in order that one may learn more about our Blessed Lord's Holy Catholic Church and the objections raised against her (note I may have repeated a websites that I'd mentioned in previous posts!)

http://www.catecheticsonline.com/Apologetics.php
http://www.catholic.org/news.php
http://www.newadvent.org/
http://www.catholic.com/default.asp

toirewadokodesuka:
Read some Catholic Catechisms:wave:! It'll help you with learning about our Holy Catholic Faith!

Here's a list of catechisms that are approved via imprimatur by the Church:

These are in handy Question and Answer Formating, which are for very easy use of learning and reading in order that one might educate one's self in the One True Holy Catholic Faith:
A Doctrinal Catechism

The Balitmore Catechism

Catechism of Pope Saint Pius X

The Douay Catechism of 1649

Whilst these particular catechisms below are more detailed and compended into concise but detailed paragraph formats which explain the One True Holy Catholic faith as in the manner of an explanatory textbook style-form:

Catechism of the Council of Trent (a.k.a. "The Roman Catechism")

The Catechism of the Catholic Church

(Of Note: in order to learn specifically about the Catholic faith and her objections to the various Protestant heretical sects, especially the "A Doctrinal Catechism," but also the Catechisms of "The Douay Catechism of 1649" and "Catechism of the Council of Trent" would help educate, enlighten, and edify one not only better in regards to the Catholic Faith, but also the objections raised against her.)
Take care and do read with the mind of Church and with prayer to our Blessed Lord Christ Jesus with his grace always and at all times.
God bless you sir,
sincerely,
Ravenonthecross

Here's a few catechetical resources I've found through my reversion unto the One True Holy Catholic Faith.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

jdemnyan

Dec 1, 2005
The Great Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
✟7,667.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, I would agree to consider reading some solid orthodox resources- However, I would strongly encourage you talk with a priest or a member of consecrated life. After all, we are community of believers partaking of the unbloody sacrifice of the altar. If you are not comfortable about approaching a cleric, then maybe should talk to a lay minister or least a Catholic of good repute. They would provide both spiritual and practical insight to living the Faith-

Upvote 0

Gsox04

Mar 30, 2008
Kansas
✟15,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think a lot of people are in the same boat. I was raised Catholic and was active in it for 22 to 23 years. In the last year or two, though, I have had my own issues and questions concerning the Church. Because of where I stand now I no longer consider myself Catholic but still hold most of the Church's beliefs.
I have been in a search myself about the Catholic faith for many years now and I think what helped me immensely was taking an R.C.I.A. class. It's the class taken by people converting to Catholicism but it can also be taken by Catholics.
It can be intimidating going up to a priest and asking away but I think this is also one of the best options. There are many life-long Catholics who simply don't have the answers so going start to someone you know does seems like a good way to start.

Upvote 0

Mom2Alex

In Christ
Jul 19, 2008
+Diocese of Buffalo, NY
Visit site
✟9,585.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I was born and raised Catholic, and was active in the church for well over a decade and a half (I'm only 23). I strayed from the church and dabbled with several other religions (most not Christian). I think God may be calling me back to the church though, and am strongly considering a reversion to Catholicism. How does one know for sure? During my time away from the church, I learned that I really don't know a whole lot about Catholicism. Certainly not as much as one who was raised in the church should know. Sure, I know the basics, but when it comes to the deep stuff, I am at a loss. Where does someone like me learn about who I was born to be? Where I do learn about the faith of my ancestors? Is there a good book to read? I was considering going to a class, but that may not be possible right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :) God bless,
~littlelamb~

Hello LittleLamb! :wave:

I was away from the faith for quite some time due to family circumstances beyond my control as an adolescent and young adult. My advice would be to (if you aren't already) attend Mass. Be sure to go to confession first ;). And then study, study, study. Where to study? First, contact the priest at your local parish and explain your situation to him. Perhaps they have a program for adults who need a refresher course in Catholicism of sorts. Some RCIA programs welcome reverts to join them at the weekly meetings.

Be prepared to make a wish list of books:D. My shelves are overflowing and so is my love for Jesus now that I am finally 'home'. Buy yourself a good Catholic Bible, a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church and do a lot of online research to begin with. Be cautious on what you read as there are many unorthodox sites out that that say they are 'Catholic' but are not faithful to the teachings. You'll learn quickly which ones to distrust and there is even a good website which reviews 'Catholic' websites to let you know if they are true to Church teachings or not (CatholicCulture. org)

If you want specific recommendations or just need a support on your journey, please contact me. I'll be happy to give you my e-mail.

May God bless you!

Kelly :)

Upvote 0

2WhomShallWeGo

May 13, 2010
been in the USA and Canada
✟1,635.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
LittleLambofChrist, If you live and breathe and have are not sweltering in hell, God is calling you to be closer to Him. So yes he is calling you. So the question is, how do you get to know Him whom you love and search for. I have never seen the need to leave The Church. Perhaps you need to start with understanding what The Church answers are to your initial objections, verbalized or not. search some of the resources Matheus listed, Pray of course. Don't worry that you aren't "skillful at it" If you have Friends who are LIVING the catholic faith you might be able to get some answers with polite questions. Make sure they know you are seeking understanding not just flinging challenges at their beloved faith. Make sure they are intending to give you Church teaching not just their variation. Somethings are dogma somethings are not. Some things are BIG"T" traditions some are not. Read the saints. Read the bible. You may find that things jump out at you don't just discard that, it's the voice of God in your heart and sometimes in your face :D.

Trust in God, that He will lead you to Himself. Don't expect that every catholic you meet will know their faith. many are "cruising" through their spiritual life and aren't seeking God as ferverently as they should (we have sinners too). Don't let others issues with God and authority figures become yours. God bless you, may we meet face to face in the heavenly city.

JMJ

Upvote 0