US
✟90,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I want to be good at reselling. I've tried my hand at it for a little while buying from wholesalers or clearance items and trying to sell on Amazon. I haven't made a single sale.

I spend 24/7 trying to figure out how to do well at this. Since I see so many online articles that boast about this being a profitable side gig.

I'm discouraged. Anyone who is good at this please help.

Last edited:

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I want to be good at reselling. I've tried my hand at it for a little while buying from wholesalers or clearance items and trying to sell on Amazon. I haven't made a single sale.

If you are going to do this, I would thing Ebay might be better than Amazon, but it's never easy. Typically, postage costs eat up most of your profits. And without websites and the like, customers won't find you.

Since I see so many online articles that boast about this being a profitable side gig.

Don't believe everything you read online.

I say again, don't believe everything you read online.

Upvote 0

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I spend 24/7 trying to figure out how to do well at this. Since I see so many online articles that boast about this being a profitable side gig.

James 1:5
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

Upvote 0

TheGuide

Feb 5, 2007
Houston, TX
Visit site
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Amazon has a lot of inventory and actual stores that sell through them, so you don't need to buy inventory. You just have to come up with a product line then advertise in a mail order catalog, magazines, newspapers, free social events, etc. Of course, all of these are expensive but you're starting a new business so you have to find money to get the word out. Also, get help setting up your Amazon site so that the line of products in Amazon's inventory are specific. It's best not to be a competitor with Amazon, but rather a true reseller of products that will pop-up when your attached website link is searched. Hopefully this helps.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
there is a reason something is on clearance. usually it has to do with lack of consumer interest. think about it. why oh why would a store put it top seller on clearance? unless a new version is coming out why would they loose money to give away a product everyone wants? The only people making money selling clearance items are people selling to resalers.

Resale is very high risk even if the investment is low. the reason it is so cheap to invest is because no one wants the product and unless you can convince someone they will make a million dollar selling the stuff no one wants to buy... you will be stuck with your product no matter what you paid!

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

Carlon

Jul 7, 2021
Ohio
✟8,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
First of all, what product were you trying to resell. The most important thing is to choose the product that is always in demand. Clothes, old things in good condition, various geek items. At sales and flea markets, there is always a product that can be resold at a higher price. The most popular platform for this is, of course, eBay. And then it's a matter of time. You always have to start with something not expensive so as not to lose everything.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟313,210.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You probably need good ratings and review like 5 star score, good reviews, etc. These things are big deal in reselling and could strongly impact your success as reseller.

Two ways to do these: sell very cheap at cost or at slight loss (to encourage interest to purchase and receive reviews and ratings) or find a friend or relative who are willing to help you out and buy your items which a very good chance of getting good score and feedback from them.

Ads can also make some difference. I think Amazon have these options for a fee and you might also get free advertising if you have good ratings so pretty much good reviews and score is a good way to start.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Selling on Amazon requires top of the line traffic.
Ton's of it. So people need to line up your traffic before launching.
You need to have a list of hungry customers ready to buy on launch day
in order to break into the top listings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0