Jan 25, 2004
Texas
Visit site
✟1,635.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am perhaps not the best person to answer this, however, I will do my best.

Reformed is a title often placed in front of church, be it Baptist, Presbyterian, etc. which means that this church has not gone the way of most of the Protestant Churches in the past two centuries. Basically, reformed churches still hold to the doctrines of the original reformers, Calvin, Luther etc.

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
A Reformed church is that holds to Refomed Theology. (duh) The largest example of a Reformed church is the many Presbyterian churches.

For more Reformed Theology, look at the Westmister Standards:

http://www.opc.org/documents/standards.html

And the Canons of Dort (written in the 16th century to settle a dispute of dutch preachers and condemn the Arminian heresy):

http://www.reformed.org/documents/canons_of_dordt.html

The poineers of Reformed THeology were some of the Rformers themselves, like John Calvin and John Knox.

Upvote 0

tigersnare

Angry Young Calvinist
Jul 8, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
✟1,636.00
Faith
Calvinist
Cary.Melvin said:
How is a Reformed Church defined?
Thanks,
Basically as, your worst nightmare!! :mad:

Ok that's a big fat lie :D . Westminster Confession is a great place to start, I will be studying it this summer myself.

Calvin, Knox...we like Calvin, he wrote some good stuff.

Upvote 0

II Paradox II

Oracle of the Obvious
Oct 22, 2003
California
Visit site
✟860.00
Faith
Calvinist
Cary.Melvin said:
How is a Reformed Church defined? Is it associated with a certain denomination? And where do reformed Churches come from?
1) How is a Reformed Church Defined? The most commonly accepted use of the term is essentially any church that derives it's doctrine and polity from the non-Lutheran Magesterial reformers (i.e... Calvin, Knox, Oeccalampadius, etc...). Within this broader category we all share a common reverence for the sovereignty of God, a very similar doctrine of salvation and generally similar ecclesiology. However, there are some differences in regards to sacramentology in particular. Some, typically more baptist in origin, tend to have a more symbolic sacramental theology whereas other such as reformed anglicans and presbyterians have a much more developed sacramentology.

2) Reformed churches typically associate themselves with one of several creeds and confessions, the Westminster Confession being the most famous.

ken

Upvote 0

Foundthelight

St. Peter's R.C. Church, Delhi, NY
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2003
Central New York
Visit site
✟26,728.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In general, Reformed Churches based on the Scottish Presbyterian model use the Westminster Confession.

Those based on the Dutch Reformed model use the Belgic Confession, Canons of Dort, and Hiedelberg Confession.

They are both Calvinistic in their theology.

Then there are the Reformed Baptists who are Calvinistic with the exception of infant baptism.

Again, these are generalizations.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
a nice essay on the topic of:

What does it mean to be Reformed Really?
By C. Matthew McMahon

is at:
http://www.apuritansmind.com/Baptism/McMahon-WhatDoesItMeanToBeReformed.htm

and where he writes
The definition of the word “Reformed” is not given by whim and fancy of those who wield the term to define the five solas of the Reformation, or the doctrines of grace. To use the term to simply refer to those sets of biblical propositions is to use the term as slang. The pastors and theologians of the Reformation, precisely and forcefully utilized the word “Reformed”, and packed it with ideologies and history. It was a word that defined the manner of a thinker in that age. He had a certain understanding of the Bible, and a certain set of convictions. These convictions ran much further than our contemporary superficial understanding of the Solas or of the doctrines of grace. The term “Reformed” was used, and should be used, in a much larger context than that. Its definition, as we will see unfolded in this article, is restrictive and not liberal in its application, but liberal and not restrictive in its theological propositions. It fought against the ebb and flow of papal dictatorship, heretical controversy and political expediency with a precise and swift strike of the sword of Word of God. It is a word that defines the edge of theological difference with razor sharpness. If it were abused today, then that is a detriment to its history. If it were redefined today, then it is at the peril of the definer and the Reconstructionism of what others will believe such a term defined those of the past. The historian, the pastor, the theologian of today must be exceedingly careful to have their facts straight on history, for history defines the idea.
I do want to ensure the reader that my answer to the questions above (“Where would we look for resources on Reformed Theology?” and, “where would we find first-class Reformed theology articulated in classical form?”) are validly answered by my statement “in the writings of Reformed literature.” There are three areas that safely guide one to prove this out: 1) what classic Reformed Theology teaches, 2) where this “classic” aspect of Reformed Theology emerged from, and 3) what has happened to the term “Reformed” today. After surveying these 3 areas, I think we will all have to agree on the basics of “what constitutes Reformed Theology.” We will know what it really means to be considered a Reformed Theologian, Reformed Pastor, or Reformed Believer.

There is no doubt that the Reformed Tradition traces its historical roots to the time of John Calvin (1509-1564). Calvin, though born in Noyon, France, could be considered as a “Swiss” reformer due to his long stay at the city-state Geneva in Switzerland. The term “Reformed” is itself not ambiguous. Even the third and fourth generation reformers (and Puritans) used the term considering men like Calvin and Zwingli as prime examples of the Reformed Tradition of that time. Francis Turretin uses this term quite extensively in his work on the “Calling of the First Reformers.” Thus, the term was easily acquainted with Protestantism during the 16th century as its foundation and root for definition.

this is a nice place to start asking these questions.....

Upvote 0

Bulldog

Don't Tread on Me
Jan 19, 2004
22 Acacia Avenue
✟8,212.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
US-Libertarian
brentstr said:
Then of course the is the Reformed Church of America (RCA) which is a denomination and is very popular here. I am a member of the Reformed Church.

Welcome! :wave:

Does the RCA ordain women as church leaders? (as I have heard)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟517,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good Day, my Reformed pals

There is a quote by BB Warfield I will para phase it if I may.

;The Refromation was a victory of Augustine's view of God's Grace over his view of the church.

Just as Augustine stood alone in gap against Rome with reguards to Peligus {sp}. God's Grace in the person of Jesus stands in the gap for God's chosen people. That the father's will be done in Christ.

For His Glory Alone!

Bill

Upvote 0