Visit site
✟7,647.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm reading an excellent book entitled Reason for the Hope Within, Alvin Plantigna (Foreword), Michael J. Murray (Editor). This book contains a collection of apologetics essays written by Christian Philosophers of today.

This book is not necessarily a "Reformed" read, although I feel it would benefit readers of practically any denominational orientation. The topics discussed are philosophical in nature and doctrinal specifics, for the most part, don't assert themselves. There are numerous contributors, and it didn't occur to me to take the time to research each individual's doctrinal position. As I've read through this volume, my Reformed sensibilities haven't been overly offended (at least not yet; I still have a little ways to go before finishing). A number of relevant topics are discussed, as follows: (from the Table of Contents):
Theistic Arguments - William C. Davis
A Scientific Argument for the Existence of God: The Fine-Tuning Design Argument - Robin Collins
Evil, God, and Suffering - Daniel Howard-Snyder
Arguments for Atheism - John O'Leary-Hawthorn
Faith and Reason - Caleb Miller
Religious Pluralism - Timothy O'Connor
Eastern Religions - Robin Collins
Divine Providence and Human Freedom - Scott A. Davidson
The Incarnation and the Trinity - Thomas D. Senor
The Resurrection of the Body and the Everlasting Life - Trenton Merricks
Heaven and Hell - Michael J. Murray
Religion and Science - W. Christopher Stewart
Miracles and Christian Theism - J. A. Cover
Christianity and Ethics - Frances Howard-Snyder
The Authority of Scripture - Douglas Bount

Chapter 1 -- Reason for Hope (in the Postmodern World)
Michael J. Murray

"As indicated in the Introduction, this book is an attempt to present a broad-reaching apologetic or defense of the Christian faith. Before we begin, however, it is of the utmost importance that we pause briefly to discuss exactly what it is that a 'defense of the Christian faith' is supposed to do. Is it supposed to present us with arguments that will bring all non-Christians to their intellectual knees? Is it supposed to show without question that a Christian worldview is more compelling than any other worldview? In order to understand how this book should be used, we need to answer these questions first. "

"Defenses of the Christian faith of the sort we are offering in this book have two aims. The first, and I think primary, aim of such a defense is that it builds up the believer by helping him or her to understand the deep, puzzling, seemingly paradoxical riches of the Christian faith. Such building up helps believers better understand their faith and, more importantly, to appreciate in more profound fashion the glory of the Creator they love and serve. In addition, this deeper understanding helps them share their faith with others. It can do this because the more intimately we understand what it is we are sharing, the more intelligently and convincingly we can do so."
(page 1)

Chapter 1 -- Reason for Hope (in the Postmodern World)
Recent Challenges to the Apologetic Enterprise
Michael J. Murray

"The aim of this book is to take what has been happening in the halls of academic Christian philosophy and make it accessible and useful to church leaders and laity."

"...we hope that this book will act as a primer for an apologetic for the church as it enters the third millennium." (page 3)

It should be noted that this a first-of-it's-kind work.

I don't recommend this book to those who are already well-read, well-studied in these philosophical subjects. Although the essays seem comprehensive to me as one fairly new to philosophical concepts, they are obviously not exhaustively so.

Gem