Reading letters

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟130,911.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
When you receive a letter do you expect to read it and understand what it says, or do you expect it to be intricate and detailed to the point of obscurity? And is a letter different from a doctoral thesis, an essay, and a novel?

Here's an excerpt from a letter
Ephesians 6:10-20 CPDV2009 (10) Concerning the rest, brothers, be strengthened in the Lord, by the power of his virtue. (11) Be clothed in the armor of God, so that you may be able to stand against the treachery of the devil. (12) For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, against the directors of this world of darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in high places. (13) Because of this, take up the armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand the evil day and remain perfect in all things. (14) Therefore, stand firm, having been girded about your waist with truth, and having been clothed with the breastplate of justice, (15) and having feet which have been shod by the preparation of the Gospel of peace. (16) In all things, take up the shield of faith, with which you may be able to extinguish all the fiery darts of the most wicked one. (17) And take up the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God). (18) Through every kind of prayer and supplication, pray at all times in spirit, and so be vigilant with every kind of earnest supplication, for all the saints, (19) and also for me, so that words may be given to me, as I open my mouth with faith to make known the mystery of the Gospel, (20) in such a manner that I may dare to speak exactly as I ought to speak. For I act as an ambassador in chains for the Gospel.​
How would you go about interpreting this passage?

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When you receive a letter do you expect to read it and understand what it says, or do you expect it to be intricate and detailed to the point of obscurity? And is a letter different from a doctoral thesis, an essay, and a novel?
Ephesians 6:10-20 CPDV2009 (10) Concerning the rest, brothers, be strengthened in the Lord, by the power of his virtue. (11) Be clothed in the armor of God, so that you may be able to stand against the treachery of the devil. (12) For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers, against the directors of this world of darkness, against the spirits of wickedness in high places. (13) Because of this, take up the armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand the evil day and remain perfect in all things. (14) Therefore, stand firm, having been girded about your waist with truth, and having been clothed with the breastplate of justice, (15) and having feet which have been shod by the preparation of the Gospel of peace. (16) In all things, take up the shield of faith, with which you may be able to extinguish all the fiery darts of the most wicked one. (17) And take up the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God). (18) Through every kind of prayer and supplication, pray at all times in spirit, and so be vigilant with every kind of earnest supplication, for all the saints, (19) and also for me, so that words may be given to me, as I open my mouth with faith to make known the mystery of the Gospel, (20) in such a manner that I may dare to speak exactly as I ought to speak. For I act as an ambassador in chains for the Gospel.​
As a continuation of Paul's cosmic scope where he has been drawing attention to the unseen (spiritual) world (1:3), and now moves to describe the spiritual battle that takes place against evil in that spiritual world, "the heavenly realms."

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟130,911.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
As a continuation of Paul's cosmic scope where he has been drawing attention to the unseen (spiritual) world (1:3), and now moves to describe the spiritual battle that takes place against evil in that spiritual world, "the heavenly realms."
What do you think saint Paul is telling you?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟283,884.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think saint Paul is telling you?
He is expanding the horizons of his audience, presenting the grand dimensions of God's eternal purpose and grace, that they may come to appreciate the high goals God has for the church: "when the times will have reached their fulfillment," to bring all things in the universe together under Christ (1:10). It is crucially important that Christians realize this, so Paul prays for this understanding (1:15-23, 3:14-21), and then goes on to show the steps toward the fulfillment of these goals:
1) reconciling individuals to himself as an act of grace (2:1-10),
2) reconciling those saved individuals to each other (2:11-22),
3) uniting those reconciled individuals (Jew and Gentile) in one body, the church--a mystery not fully known until it was revealed to Paul (3:1-6),
4) God's purpose therein being it as the means by which he displays his manifold wisdom to "the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms (3:7-13); i.e.,

Christian existence is not merely on an earthly plane, but receives its meaning and significance from heaven, where Christ is exalted at the right hand of God (1:20),
that while Christian life is lived on earth, the practical daily life of the believer continues to work out the purpose of God; i.e.,
the unity of the church under the headship of Christ (1:10), which foreshadows the "uniting of all things in heaven and on earth" under Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,058.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To answer your question directly, ideally the letter is easy to understand. (Though of course some subject don't lend themselves to real easy explanations.) I try to remember that we are reading translations that may seem a bit strange and harder to understand to us, than to the original audience. Even though I'm not a big fan of translations like The New Living translation, sometimes they can help me understand what was being said. Especially in the Old Testament. Here is Ephesians 6:10-20 in their version. Maybe it is a bit more clear?

A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we* are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.

13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.* 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.* 17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.*

19 And pray for me, too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God’s mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike.* 20 I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God’s ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should.

• Agree
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟35,137.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Hi Xeno:wave:

Letters in antiquity were quite important and delivered by trusted individuals, usually the amenuensis.

Because of the importance of letters to the churches, the person delivering them could easily respond to information not necessarily written down, and corroborate or supplement what was communicated. The first letter to the (Acts 15) Gentile churches had Paul and Barbabus, but Silas and Judas went along as well.

@Clare73 provides a good outline, I'll add that we stand firm when we are clothed in Christ. He is our Truth, Righteousness, Peace, Author and perfecter of our faith, Salvation and the Word. The more the Spirit reveals Him so we understand, the more we stand.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟719,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A letter is a written or printed communication directed to a person or organization.
A Doctoral thesis is a research paper written to complete the requirements for a degree in a specific discipline
A novel is a work of fiction.

So yes, a letter is different.
Here is a translation a little easier to understand:

Eph 6 :10-20​
10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.​
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; 18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— 19 and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.​
Proper exegesis would require literal translation because the verses are written literally. Paul is writing to the church at Ephesus regarding a number of issues. While not addressed to a specific pastor, he is writing to believers in the city. VS 1 clearly states

Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, To the saints who are in Ephesus, and faithful in Christ Jesus:

In the letter, he addresses a number of issues and his prayers in Chapt 1 and 3 are powerful in revelation and helping believers understand who they are in Christ. Chapter six begins with dealing with our children and ends with these wonderful verses reminding the believer who they are and encouraging us in our walk. Praying for one another, staying in unity.

That is how I would interpret the passage.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟719,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He is expanding the horizons of his audience, presenting the grand dimensions of God's eternal purpose and grace, that they may come to appreciate the high goals God has for the church: "when the times will have reached their fulfillment," to bring all things in the universe together under Christ (1:10). It is crucially important that Christians realize this, so Paul prays for this understanding (1:15-23, 3:14-21), and then goes on to show the steps toward the fulfillment of these goals:
1) reconciling individuals to himself as an act of grace (2:1-10),
2) reconciling those saved individuals to each other (2:11-22),
3) uniting those reconciled individuals (Jew and Gentile) in one body, the church--a mystery not fully known until it was revealed to Paul (3:1-6),
4) God's purpose therein being it as the means by which he displays his manifold wisdom to "the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms (3:7-13);

i.e., Christian existence is not merely on an earthly plane, but receives its meaning and significance from heaven, where Christ is exalted at the right hand of God (1:20),
that while Christian life is lived on earth, the practical daily life of the believer continues to work out the purpose of God; i.e.,
the unity of the church under the headship of Christ (1:10), which foreshadows the "uniting of all things in heaven and on earth" under Christ.
well said! QFT

Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0