RE: Question on behalf of my church

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟433,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello all,
So my church is a member of the Christian Reformed Congregation of America. Our pastor left us about two months or so ago to move his family to Japan. However now the congregation is wanting to begin looking for a new pastor. How does a church in the reformed doctrine begin this process? Is there an organization I could ask for assistance or a place my church council could look for help? The denomination is not very helpful for some reason.

Thanks for looking.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟932,949.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I go to a PCA church so I wouldn't know. In the PCA church new pastors are voted in by the congregation.

Regular reformed churches I don't know though. They probably have a similar process. I know to be a pastor of a reformed church you need a masters degree. So they'll probably take time to find someone. Who is pastoring your church for now?

• Informative
Reactions: Lost Witness
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟433,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Right now we're having fill in pastors. Which is confusing as all get out. Their is not a single themed sermon. Its all over the place.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟126,026.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hello all,
So my church is a member of the Christian Reformed Congregation of America. Our pastor left us about two months or so ago to move his family to Japan. However now the congregation is wanting to begin looking for a new pastor. How does a church in the reformed doctrine begin this process? Is there an organization I could ask for assistance or a place my church council could look for help? The denomination is not very helpful for some reason.

Thanks for looking.
This is why it is stressed to have more than one elder in a single congregation, but sometimes those options are simply not available.

I would ask the PuritainBoard if you are looking for more seasoned answers from Reformed folk in your circle.

Upvote 0

The Righterzpen

Jesus is my Shield in any Desert or Storm
Feb 9, 2019
Western NY
Visit site
✟145,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I know OPC churches tend to draw from seminary students. They often train at various established churches and than go preach at churches looking for pastors. And than at that point; congregations can make a decision as to whether or not they want to call this fellow.

It may be difficult to get a "seasoned pastor" who's looking for a church. Of those who don't get deposed for things like running off with the music director; pastors tend to "stay put" or they get burned out and switch careers.

Upvote 0