Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well - since Jesus (who was God) WASN'T "walking" as "God almighty hiding in a Man-suit pretending to be Human", but as a REAL Human, subject to all the limitations of humanity, AND since he WAS "tempted in all respects as WE are" - a little "Reaction" is easily understandable at the point where EVERYTHING in creation is going to change forever.

"Sweating drops of blood" is certainly a Significant "physical reaction" to the HORROR which is approaching Him as HE prays. If He DIDN'T want a "Way out" we should question His sanity. But He knew there was none.

OF course He COULD have just chucked it all, walked away and left ALL humanity to righteously perish in hell. But He didn't do THAT either.

He went and did in FAITH what He'd come to do.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Well - since Jesus (who was God) WASN'T "walking" as "God almighty hiding in a Man-suit pretending to be Human", but as a REAL Human, subject to all the limitations of humanity, AND since he WAS "tempted in all respects as WE are" - a little "Reaction" is easily understandable at the point where EVERYTHING in creation is going to change forever.

"Sweating drops of blood" is certainly a Significant "physical reaction" to the HORROR which is approaching Him as HE prays. If He DIDN'T want a "Way out" we should question His sanity. But He knew there was none.

OF course He COULD have just chucked it all, walked away and left ALL humanity to righteously perish in hell. But He didn't do THAT either.

He went and did in FAITH what He'd come to do.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
W
And how does this apply to the prayers of we the saints?

It took great faith for Jesus to say 'Not my will but yours be done!'

Jesus also knew what was ahead, he knew the cross was ahead and what it would mean. It was a certainty.

We the saints do not know what is ahead in the same way Jesus did. We see through a glass darkly at most.

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have also heard it taught that it was the separation from the Father that was the most agonizing prospect for the Lord who had been one with the Father always. Perhaps this is what he asked to be lifted. Really who knows for sure.

Upvote 0
E

elenore

If not, why not? How not?
And how does this apply to the prayers of we the saints?

You own, the universe,
You own, everyone on earth -
You own, you own.

I was just listening to these lines in a song when I read that quote and I think it pretty much explains it.
I don't think this has anything to do with faith. It's just obedience. Jesus knew he was going to a horrible, horrible death, and he was a human being, not God, during his time on earth. He was the son of God. But he wasn't immune to pain or anguish.

He asked if there was another way. It's not surprising really - it's not like the guy lived in la la land.

BUT he said, not my will but yours be done.

The bible tells us that he was obedient, unto death even death on a cross. Phil 2:8

That means he had to make a choice.

Upvote 0