Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

What is happening is not clear

… it is happening

It is clear to anyone who looks at the science. People have unreliable memories. Your refusal to accept this basic and easily demonstrated fact leads you to conclude all sorts of whacky science fiction shenanigans.

Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟131,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
It is clear to anyone who looks at the science. People have unreliable memories. Your refusal to accept this basic and easily demonstrated fact …

… the wrong answer

Clear to anyone who checks their memory

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟303,170.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

You need faith in memory

Then memory will be evidence

That's utterly meaningless.

That's like saying you need faith in washing machine goblins who steal socks from your washing, and THEN the fact that your socks go missing will be evidence for washing machine goblins.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

You need faith in memory

Then memory will be evidence
Did you pass all your exams with 100% marks? If not, which is the best explanation:
A) Your memory let you down and you made some mistakes
B) You changed reality each time to a universe where things were different

• Winner
Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟251,079.00
Faith
Atheist
Did you pass all your exams with 100% marks? If not, which is the best explanation:
A) Your memory let you down and you made some mistakes
B) You changed reality each time to a universe where things were different
That's an interesting problem, when you consider fields of knowledge where you memorize things, and fields where you figure out things.

If I remember correctly, and reality hasn't changed since then, I have that funny story my mother told me about he oral finals in mathematics. (It's a fun example for the whole topic of memory in itself.)

So she given some sort of complex geometrical problem to solve and explain, and she went to the blackboard and started construcing and drawing and explaining... and it was just perfect.
The professors smiled and nodded and dismissed her and my mom was basking in her achivement... and just before she turned and left, one of the teachers asked her: "So... what is 3 times 7?"

And my mother, still full of elation, declared proudly and with conviction: "24!"

Which of course is false, always has been false and no changing reality can ever make it correct. In contrast to the complex problem she had to solve, this was a basic information. She didn't calculate it. She didn't compute it. Simple multiplication is something you remember. And she failed, in that moment, to remember correctly.

She still got her full points though.

And on the meta-level: this story is false. Or, not totally correct. I remember the "3 times 7 equals 24" part, and I remember her telling me she had said so with full confidence. All the rest is conjecture. A reconstruction. To make sense of the whole story. For you, as well as for my own recollection.
Just saying that she once declared 3 times 7 to be 24 wouldn't convey the story... and I don't remember the whole story. But the rest of the story doesn't matter.
Was it as her "Abitur" (the final exam in German high school / Gymnasium)? Was it at some point in her teacher education? I don't remember. And I'm sure she had told me.

I filled in details with other memories. Did she have to solve a geometry problem, or was it algebra? I don't remember... but I do remember another story she had told me that involved geometry.
Was there a blackboard she drew on? I don't remember... but I have memories of my own oral Abitur exams... and even here I had to insert other memories / constructed scenes, because I did my orals in history, not maths.

Because this is how memory works. It just isn't a binder of photos or videoclips that you can replay, or an encyclopedia of articles you can browse.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.