• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Psychosis and Paranoid Schizophrenia

Status
Not open for further replies.

xianlexavier

the elf
Dec 4, 2003
✟7,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does anyone have more information or links I can go to online to help educate myself and my mum and dad about this? especially paranoid schizophrenia. I'm almost scared to look it up myself. I'm scared because I'm just afraid my symptoms will be too similar.

Also, how can i admit and face the fact that i may have mental illness? i've been denying myself a lot lately. i try to act normal, like everything is okay (when around family), but i know it's not and putting on this happy-face act is hard to do. how can i show my true feelings?

thank you!
Lex the elf

Intrepidman

Oct 7, 2005
✟165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I found this:

Schizophrenia usually develops gradually, although onset can be sudden. Friends and family often notice the first changes before the victim does. Among the signs are:

• Confusion
  • Inability to make decisions
  • Hallucinations
  • Changes in eating or sleeping habits, energy level, or weight
  • Delusions
  • Nervousness
  • Strange statements or behavior
  • Withdrawal from friends, work, or school
  • Neglect of personal hygiene
  • Anger
  • Indifference to the opinions of others
  • A tendency to argue
  • A conviction that you are better than others, or that people are out to get you

Upvote 0

Intrepidman

Oct 7, 2005
✟165.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Here's some more:

The essential feature of it is preoccupation with one or more systematized delusions or with frequent auditory hallucinations related to a single theme. In addition, symptoms characteristic of the Disorganized and Catatonic Types such as incoherence, flat or grossly inappropriate affect, catatonic behaviour, or grossly disorganized behavior, are absent. When all exacerbations of the disorder meet the criteria for Paranoid Type, the clinician should specify "Stable Type".

Associated features of Paranoid Schizophrenia include unfocussed anxiety, anger, argumentativeness, and violence. Often a stilted, formal quality or extreme intensity in interpersonal interaction is noted.

Upvote 0

xianlexavier

the elf
Dec 4, 2003
✟7,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
thank you for all the info! it's very helpful. i want to find out how i can treat or cure myself. i want rid of this so bad :( i wonder if herbal stuff would help, like certain vitamins or something? but i'm scared to go off my meds without telling my doctor, and he won't be thrilled about that b/c he has seen me without them :-S
but again, thank you. i'll save this info on my comp :)

Upvote 0

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i went to counselling to help me cope. my head therepist sent me to DBT classes... diabolical behaviors and clinical issues. wow. now i can help me and minister to others.
i had wonderful christian therepists. we even prayed together. ?:hug: don't be scared. knowing is just like mr. cheese says.

something more important about knowing... is knowing where you need to give things over to Jesus. it is so very comforting to know how you are relying on God to sustain your needs. :hug:

Upvote 0

xianlexavier

the elf
Dec 4, 2003
✟7,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
goldenviolet said:
i went to counselling to help me cope. my head therepist sent me to DBT classes... diabolical behaviors and clinical issues. wow. now i can help me and minister to others.
i had wonderful christian therepists. we even prayed together. ?:hug: don't be scared. knowing is just like mr. cheese says.

something more important about knowing... is knowing where you need to give things over to Jesus. it is so very comforting to know how you are relying on God to sustain your needs. :hug:

:eek: that poem is awesome!!

diabolical behaviours and clinical issues. i never heard of that! i'll look into it. i'll ask my therapist about that on thursday and see if she has any referrals to something like that around here where i live.
"now i can help me and minister to others." < yes that's true! help yourself and help others at the same time. that's always a good thing! *thumbs up!*
yes, i agree with the knowing - thing. mr. cheese, as i've said, is so intelligent. i believe i've read some of his posts before. amazing. no other words for it. theres so many cool people here on CF.. some even seem like angels to me. they're at the right place at the right time, and know what to say and when to say it.. and they are always there for you. < that's referring to many people i've met here.
this is too cool!
and yes I've turned to God about my needs (not wants, as I've learned from my parents). I know that with God, 'nothing' is impossible but without Him, 'nothing' is possible.
take care and thanks to you and mr. cheese for the insight!
Hugs from me,
Lex

Reactions: goldenviolet
Upvote 0

xianlexavier

the elf
Dec 4, 2003
✟7,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
goldenviolet said:
i'm glad you like my poem :hug:
for your age you sound very wise in spiritual matters about yourself .
God bless you :hug:!

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thank you!!!!!!! you just lifted my spirits!! i feel.. GOOD. wow :) just one little sentence like that made me feel so much better (been depressed all day btw). my mum says that i am "wise beyond my years" hehe but it feels so much better to my soul for someone who doesn't live with me to notice this and tell me about it. God Bless YOU!!! (BIG OL' HUGS FROM ME TO YOU!)

thanks again, you are so kind :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

goldenviolet

Holy is the Lord God Almighty
Nov 28, 2004
Salem, Oregon
Visit site
✟62,074.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
xianlexavier said:
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww thank you!!!!!!! you just lifted my spirits!! i feel.. GOOD. wow :) just one little sentence like that made me feel so much better (been depressed all day btw). my mum says that i am "wise beyond my years" hehe but it feels so much better to my soul for someone who doesn't live with me to notice this and tell me about it. God Bless YOU!!! (BIG OL' HUGS FROM ME TO YOU!)

thanks again, you are so kind :clap:

just because you struggle some days, shouldn't ever forget you are smart and worth a crown of salvation as the title "God's friend". the bible says so... "I have called you friend"... :groupray: ... i'm glad your mom encourages you :angel:
icon12.gif

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:eek: Woah, I noticed that I have a lot of those symptoms:

* Confusion I have this a lot.
* Inability to make decisions Very common with me.
* Hallucinations I have these every now and then but not very often.
* Changes in eating or sleeping habits, energy level, or weight That sort of thing changes with me all the time.
* Delusions My family has acknowledged this and I know that I have delusions sometimes.
* Nervousness I am nervous even when I am at home.
* Strange statements or behavior I've always been a strange person.
* Withdrawal from friends, work, or school I've alwyas been a loner.
* Neglect of personal hygiene I hate to admit it but I do suffer from this.
* Anger Its not as bad as it used to be but sometimes I do get very angry.
* Indifference to the opinions of others I am like this often.
* A tendency to argue I don't like to argue but it seems that I end up doing it more than what I would like.
* A conviction that you are better than others, or that people are out to get you I have also had this symptom before. :(

Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
xianlexavier said:
thank you for all the info! it's very helpful. i want to find out how i can treat or cure myself. i want rid of this so bad :( i wonder if herbal stuff would help, like certain vitamins or something? but i'm scared to go off my meds without telling my doctor, and he won't be thrilled about that b/c he has seen me without them :-S

Regardless of what happens to you: DO NOT go off your meds without consulting your doctor first.

I was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 1991 when I was 20, and was put on medication. When I showed signs of improvement, I thought that I could go without the meds and what do you know? I had another mild relapse!

Sadly, there is no uniform cure for schizophrenia. The best advice that I can give you is to spend moderate time outdoors in the sun, get plenty of exercise, and stay away from alcohol and illegal substances as they can easily exacerbate your condition.

I don't know of any herbal remedies myself, but there is a group on Yahoo! that you could pose your question to.

Go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalChristian

Maybe someone on there will be able to help you. It is a pretty active group, and no doubt your question will be answered as soon as possible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jenafer

Mar 11, 2004
AUSTRALIA
✟7,917.00
Faith
Anglican
xianlexavier said:
Dear Lex,

first let me say that I am so very sorry if if have this awful mental illness. My son has been living with the illness for a number of years.

Be very kind and patient with yourself, and don't blame yourself for getting this sickness. After reading heaps of books, I have come to believe it is a genetic illness. Have you actually been diagnosed..

I think it is important to get the best medication that suits you.. take the medication to control the worst of the symptions, but try not to take too much medication so you turn into a zoombie.

For example, I think it is important to get a good night's sleep. Perhaps take your medication at night so you have a good rest. Sometimes people have to take a few different types of medication to find one that suits them best.. this can be a stressful time.

Once again I am truly sorry if you have schizophrenia, and my best wishes are with you, Jenafer.

Upvote 0

Septima

Nov 16, 2005
Stockholm
✟694.00
Faith
Christian
Hello! :wave:

Psycosis/Schitzorfenia is often a signal disturbance in you brain. The brain produces extra dopamine to cope with the pressure form theese extra disturbing signals it gets! Overactiveness in the lobe part of the brain is very commom! The lobe part of the brain is were you have senses of creativity, happiness, motivation etc. That part can also be described as the part that directs the rest of you brain/ body, as an orchestra leader. Its very essensial for your life quality that it funktions well and healthy! It is very sensistive for signals.

Psychosis can also be described as when too much mental, emotional pressure during long period of time with the result that sleep and dream is not enough for you to go through when your brain tries to calatlog all you impressions you got during daytime or you have stored from the past! The brain cannot understand or/and read all information it gets or has gotten. It gets overloaded with information that it has put on hold with opressed feelings, emotions, thoughts etc. The effect will be that your brain continues to dream even though you get out of bed and are fully awake and active, wich creates strong pictures, voices and body sensations in your mind. The person can entende to turn inside and shut the outside world out to be able to restore him/her self, just as you do when you dream.

The main thing is to try find out the roots to why you developed psycosis! You need help to do this with proffecional ppl! Also unload all pressure as much as you can from the outside world so you disturbance signals gets limited to your self and not comes from the outside! All ppl have a chance to get psycosis, but not all developes the sickness! Psycosis can often be a effect of exhaustion and starts early in the childhood when we develope ourselfes. Many ppl/children who gets mixed signals from the parents or have had traumas developes it. Also common is if you have been involved when growing up with authoroty persons that has had bad affects on you and given you mixed, comfusung signals on how they think you should be to fit into the invorement and soceiety can develope this. Also to put impossible expectaions on yourself can result in psycosis. Some ppl gets "burned out" or "walk into the wall", some ppl gets "psycosis problems".

Vitamins:
The brain needs some vitamin help indeed. What is good is to take extra fish oil (omega 3 and 6) and B vitamins that the brain so well needs. Also use oil in you food like "olive oil", the brain needs that to funktion well. Drink water and get some sunlight! That you sleep well is also very important to rehabilitate and so is physical contact with other ppl you trust like hugs etc

continue...

Cause the fact in most cases is mixed signals, personality issues and the persons affected it very sensitive for signals its imortant to be truthful, loving, gentile, patient and understanding to ppl that have psycotic reactions! If you have psycotic symptoms the psyciatric care can help you to deal with most of this. But also, in my experiance, you might also needs spitutual healing and guidance. The psyciatric care often talkes about emotions, traumas in your life etc that needs to be delt with from a personal/mental/medical perspective, and its a good thing! But they often leaves out the spirit and soul from the conversations! The spirit and soul also gets wounded from life, so you also need help and healing that part! It can be hard to find a christian person that has knowlage about what the psycosis specialliced phsyciatrics has, unfortuantly! So I would suggest you both get a psycosis specialliced psycologist and a christian that you can talk about your spiritual wounds with! It all goes hand in hand! The body, mind, soul, spirit etc. The more inner doors you open to let Jesus and The Holy Spirit in to help you and heal you the better!

Don't get stressed out if getting healed from scitzofrenia/psycosis takes time! Its ususally does! Its worth to take things slow and be thural so you can build yourself up in/with Jesus from the ground and then can stand strong the rest of you life and be happy!

I also want to add...
Some ppl believe that theese extra signals/disturbances in psycosis/scitzofrenia also can be demonicaly influenced or driven. If you feel that this can be the case, pls don't shut the door totally to your needs of emotionally, spirutually, mental healing also! God wants to heal and deliver you completley, let him lead you on the way, strenghen you, love you, care for you both from inside and by working through other ppl!

HUGS!

Upvote 0

Prophet5

Mar 22, 2006
✟15,122.00
Faith
Christian
Hi,

First of all, I do not think you suffer from schizophrenia. If you did you wouldn´t be aware of it. Schizophrenia is a state of Psychosis, in this state you actually can not tell the difference between what is real and what is makebelief. I recommend you to watch the movie "a Beautifull mind".

However If you are taking medication I can not recomend you to stop taking them. If you do what happens is that you can fall deeper into whatever you are suffering from. It is like stop taking anti depression medicine, this is very dangerous because you can fall deeper into the depression.

Anyhow, I know that there is a new medicine that is under development that is said to become the best medicine ever for psychotic deceases. I heard about it a few years ago, with some luck it should be out in 3-4 years if the scientists suceeded in making it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.