Principles First - The conservative movement is in the throes of an identity crisis.

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟288,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There may be hope.

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟999,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How often I have wondered at the engine of conservatism. Does it exist to be blessed of itself, or by Christ? And if as being a beneficiary of Christianity, which to my knowledge always has, why is there such reluctance for conservatism to acknowledge not "religion" (which it always has), but the Name?

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟288,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How often I have wondered at the engine of conservatism. Does it exist to be blessed of itself, or by Christ? And if as being a beneficiary of Christianity, which to my knowledge always has, why is there such reluctance for conservatism to acknowledge not "religion" (which it always has), but the Name?
The name "Conservativism"? I think they have. But I don't see how Trump can be their champion.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟999,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The name "Conservativism"? I think they have. But I don't see how Trump can be their champion.
Conservatism AND Trump? While PDJT may be to some length, a contributing factor in that silence, possibly, you like many others still contend theatrics suggest an absence of faith.

"Donald Trump is a Baby Christian" - James Dobson, June 27, 2016

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟288,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Conservatism AND Trump? While PDJT may be to some length, a contributing factor in that silence, possibly, you like many others still contend theatrics suggest an absence of faith.

"Donald Trump is a Baby Christian" - James Dobson, June 27, 2016
It depends on the theatrics. I look for Christian virtues but that is not usually aligned with conservativism. It is a balancing act even within the Christian community, to keep tenacity to Gospel while also addressing contemporary needs and thinking. "Conservativism" is only a label. What do they want to conserve? It certainly is not virtue.

Upvote 0

RoBo1988

Sep 3, 2021
Dayton OH
✟96,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, does anyone think that these 15 values existed before Trump came on the scene? I don't . Remember the Tea Party? The frustration has been building up for some time.

Many want the so-called conservatives to actually conserve, instead of being the political version of the Washington Generals, while the Democratic Globetrotters run rings around them.

Someone like Trump was inevitable, because the RNC has ignored their voters for decades.

Upvote 0

rocknanchor

Continue Well 2 John 9
Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
Notre Dame, IN
✟999,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is a balancing act even within the Christian community, to keep tenacity to Gospel while also addressing contemporary needs and thinking.
Remember the Tea Party? The frustration has been building up for some time.
Happily forces a definition out of my opening comment. Yes, understood on "addressing, needs and thinking" would tend to fortify the gathering effect of more and more members. But if the current balance is considered its most successful median at the expense of the secondary balance; The reduction to shield the Lord from view till everyone knows we have willingly bound open occupation of the ministry. Fortunately, I don't think we are at all close to that, though I do feel that is the spirit that presently tries to blend into conservatism.

If not for the few honorable mentions of Jesus along the way, yes, the Tea Party sprang up much like conservatism, when abuse threatens and brings tensions to a boiling point, it sometimes won't wait for a central figurehead to lead, necessity itself will bring remedy to pass by pure, unbridled righteous indignation.

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟288,417.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, does anyone think that these 15 values existed before Trump came on the scene? I don't .
They were implicit. Trump challenged them so now they must be made explicit.. Especially:

Truth, honesty, rationality, & facts are non-negotiable.​

No one is entitled to their own facts – regardless of party. Data isn't something to be afraid of and intelligence isn't something to demean. We aspire to an objective political discourse that is uncompromisingly honest. The currency of good ideas must again be their rationality and logical persuasiveness, rather than how loudly they are shouted.

The Constitution and the rule of law are paramount.​

The law is a great equalizer. No one is above it. It maintains order and commits us to common rules. The Constitution isn't perfect, but its mix of individual rights, enumerated and separated powers, checks, and balances is the greatest formulation of self-government yet devised. The rule of law and the Constitution must be defended.

Last edited:
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0