Pope blames 'ugly conclusions' for African Catholic freakout over same-sex blessings

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The author of the article is fairly balanced, although the quotes from The Daily Beast are obviously pro-gay and views with derision the idea of homosexuality being a sin; but the comments made by some of the African people in the article are enlightening. The Pope's response illustrates how utterly and completely tone-deaf he is to any criticism of his views. A sad situation, all way 'round. :(

Reactions: zippy2006

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The author of the article is fairly balanced, although the quotes from The Daily Beast are obviously pro-gay and views with derision the idea of homosexuality being a sin; but the comments made by some of the African people in the article are enlightening. The Pope's response illustrates how utterly and completely tone-deaf he is to any criticism of his views. A sad situation, all way 'round. :(

The colonists are busy calling the natives benighted. What an insult, particularly from the pope himself.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟766,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sounds like typical western condescension. I knew a late American born, Episcopal priest of Syrian ancestry. He told me that when he said that he didn’t agree with ordaining women in the 1970s. He was told by many colleagues that his attitude was understandable in light of his background. He was a mild mannered conservative priest and not a chauvinist in any sense.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟281,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With regards to Frankie's drivel about his aims in F.S. and more being about "welcoming" and "inclusion", you can't really do better than to reply with what one person said in the comments of the article Michie posted above:

"It occurs to me that Jesus was all about division; sheep and goats; white washed tombs; millstones; tossing improperly dressed folks out of a wedding banquet; setting father against son; bringing the sword. That kind of thing."

(bolding and italics mine)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
With regards to Frankie's drivel about his aims in F.S. and more being about "welcoming" and "inclusion", you can't really do better than to reply with what one person said in the comments of the article Michie posted above:

"It occurs to me that Jesus was all about division; sheep and goats; white washed tombs; millstones; tossing improperly dressed folks out of a wedding banquet; setting father against son; bringing the sword. That kind of thing."

(bolding and italics mine)
I read that too. In fact Jesus warned of division within families by following Him.

Upvote 0