Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
And changes since v2

"One of the weaknesses of the postconciliar liturgical reform can doubtless be traced to the armchair strategy of academics, drawing up things on paper which, in fact, would presuppose years of organic growth. The most blatant example of this is the reform of the Calendar: those responsible simply did not realize how much the various annual feasts had influenced Christian people's relation to time […] they ignored a fundamental law of religious life.” Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger, The Feast of Faith, 81-82 (published by Ignatius Press)."

"The liturgical reform, in its concrete realization, has distanced itself even more from its origin. The result has not been a reanimation, but devastation. In place of the liturgy, fruit of a continual development, they have placed a fabricated liturgy. They have deserted a vital process of growth and becoming in order to substitute a fabrication. They did not want to continue the development, the organic maturing of something living through the centuries, and they replaced it, in the manner of technical production, by a fabrication, a banal product of the moment.” (Ratzinger in Revue Theologisches, Vol. 20, Feb. 1990, pgs. 103-104)

A banal fabrication = A common lie

"[W]e have a liturgy which has degenerated so that it has become a show which, with momentary success for the group of liturgical fabricators, strives to render religion interesting in the wake of the frivolities of fashion and seductive moral maxims. Consequently, the trend is the increasingly marked retreat of those who do not look to the liturgy for a spiritual show-master but for the encounter with the living God in whose presence all the 'doing' becomes insignificant since only this encounter is able to guarantee us access to the true richness of being." (Cardinal Ratzinger's preface to the French translation of Reform of the Roman Liturgy by Monsignor Klaus Gamber, 1992).

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I was just re-reading his The Spirit of The Liturgy the other day and am also looking at one of his main influences, the book of the same name by Guardini.

https://www.ewtn.com/library/LITURGY/SPRLIT.TXT

Here is a hard copy of Guardini:

But he is not opposed to a valid and reverent Novus Ordo. So we must take his comments in full context, not soundbite.

Reactions: mea kulpa
Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
But your quotes did make me think of the real beauty of the Liturgical year. The cycle of feasts and celebrations are one of the greatest teaching tools a family can have. And they have come back to a great extent. We use them in our family.

Reactions: mea kulpa
Upvote 0

mea kulpa

Benedictine Traditional Catholic
Feb 9, 2016
united kingdom
✟39,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But your quotes did make me think of the real beauty of the Liturgical year. The cycle of feasts and celebrations are one of the greatest teaching tools a family can have. And they have come back to a great extent. We use them in our family.

Yes i think a real shift and an awakening is happening in the church as regards to what we have neglected. I feel the holy spirit at work like a slow yeast

Upvote 0