Piers Paul Read, the writer of ‘Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors,’ has written an excellent new ‘History of Catholic Church’...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,767,294.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
‘I felt I had a vocation,’ says the noted British author about his life’s work. ‘It was what God wanted me to do.’

LONDON — “I thought I would like her to know about the Church not just because I’m a Catholic but also because it is part of our culture,” says Piers Paul Pead, speaking to the Register.

The “her” he is referring to is his non-Catholic granddaughter, currently a student at Oxford University. She is, he says, “clever” but freely admits that she knows nothing about the Catholic faith. She was the catalyst — and first, intended audience — for Read’s latest book, A History of the Catholic Church (Meid Books), begun during the 2020 lockdowns and published in September 2023.

Described by one reviewer as “a tour de force,” Read’s History has 127 short chapters, from the Church’s roots in Jewish history to the pontificate of Pope Benedict XVI. The narrative describes how a small community of believers was to grow into one of the world’s most noteworthy institutions, with chapters on the challenges faced by the Church in her 2,000-year history from the emergence of Islam and the schism with the Orthodox, through to the Protestant Reformation and the French Revolution, with more recent threats from Bolshevism and Nazism, as well the rise of today’s secularism. Not so much a Church history, Read wanted to write of a Church through the lens of the secular history around her. There are also chapters on Catholic art, architecture, philosophy and literature as the author seeks to present not so much an academic treatise as a selection of episodes. Conscious of his granddaughter’s needs, his history is written for what he describes as “a general audience” as much as for Catholics.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
‘I felt I had a vocation,’ says the noted British author about his life’s work. ‘It was what God wanted me to do.’

LONDON — “I thought I would like her to know about the Church not just because I’m a Catholic but also because it is part of our culture,” says Piers Paul Pead, speaking to the Register.

The “her” he is referring to is his non-Catholic granddaughter, currently a student at Oxford University. She is, he says, “clever” but freely admits that she knows nothing about the Catholic faith. She was the catalyst — and first, intended audience — for Read’s latest book, A History of the Catholic Church (Meid Books), begun during the 2020 lockdowns and published in September 2023.

Described by one reviewer as “a tour de force,” Read’s History has 127 short chapters, from the Church’s roots in Jewish history to the pontificate of Pope Benedict XVI. The narrative describes how a small community of believers was to grow into one of the world’s most noteworthy institutions, with chapters on the challenges faced by the Church in her 2,000-year history from the emergence of Islam and the schism with the Orthodox, through to the Protestant Reformation and the French Revolution, with more recent threats from Bolshevism and Nazism, as well the rise of today’s secularism. Not so much a Church history, Read wanted to write of a Church through the lens of the secular history around her. There are also chapters on Catholic art, architecture, philosophy and literature as the author seeks to present not so much an academic treatise as a selection of episodes. Conscious of his granddaughter’s needs, his history is written for what he describes as “a general audience” as much as for Catholics.

Continued below.
It is amazing how long ago the Catholic church goes back. It goes back to the 1st century. And remember folks, Jesus was the founder of the Catholic church.

For those who do not have a century to read the article, here is a condensed summary:

Piers Paul Read, a noted British author and convert to Catholicism, discussed his latest book, "A History of the Catholic Church," with the Register. The catalyst for the project was his non-Catholic granddaughter, who knew little about the faith. Read aimed to write a general audience-friendly history of the Church that went beyond just an academic treatise, also covering art, architecture, philosophy, and literature.

Born to a Catholic mother and sent to a Benedictine school as a child, Read's faith was deeply influenced by the monks there. He studied history at Cambridge University before embarking on a writing career. While known for his novels, Read gained significant attention with "Alive: The Story of the Andes Survivors," an account of a 1972 air crash in the Andes that became an international bestseller.

Despite the challenges faced by the Church throughout history, including from Islam, the schism with the Orthodox, Protestant Reformation, French Revolution, Bolshevism, Nazism, and secularism, Read believes that it has had a positive impact on the world. He acknowledges recent abuse scandals but maintains that most priests are good and holy men, feeling sorry for them due to media exploitation.

Read emphasized that his history is not a defense of the Church nor an apologetics work but rather a selection of episodes written for a general audience. He has written fiction, scripts, and non-fiction titles on various subjects, including infamous criminals and controversial historical topics.

Currently a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, Read has served on the governing bodies of various organizations and was once a member of the Arts Council's Literature Panel. Married with four children and six grandchildren, he lives in London with his wife.

Regarding aspiring writers, Read is unsure about the benefits of creative writing courses but emphasizes the importance of doing thorough research and gathering necessary material before beginning any project. He believes that writing well is difficult to teach, but real talent can be easily identified. Overall, Read feels that his calling as a writer was a vocation from God.

Upvote 0