✟90,060.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Numbers 33:

55 But if you do not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you, then those of them whom you let remain shall be as barbs in your eyes and thorns in your sides, and they shall trouble you in the land where you dwell.
The expressions seem to mean some troublesome spot.

Judges 2:

3 So now I say, I will not drive them out before you, but they shall become thorns in your sides, and their gods shall be a snare to you.
Paul used a similar expression in 2 Corinthians 12:

7 So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations,
That's the purpose of Paul's thorn: to keep him humble. God humbles everyone, including his prophets and servants.

a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me,
It was not literally a thorn. Satan used it to harass Paul constantly. God used Satan to keep Paul humble. Paul wasn't being precise in describing exactly what it was.

to keep me from becoming conceited. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”
The thorn was some kind of weakness in Paul.

Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
This was how Paul dealt with it practically.

10 For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
He looked to the strength of God, not to the thorn. I don't think it was a physical condition. It may be some mental/psychological attack that he had trouble dealing with. When it happened, he rested in God.

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟798,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Numbers 33:

Judges 2:

That's the purpose of Paul's thorn: to keep him humble. God humbles everyone, including his prophets and servants.

It was not literally a thorn. Satan used it to harass Paul constantly. God used Satan to keep Paul humble. Paul wasn't being precise in describing exactly what it was.

He looked to the strength of God, not to the thorn. I don't think it was a physical condition. It may be some mental/psychological attack that he had trouble dealing with. When it happened, he rested in God.
It is a hard pill to take, that God is more interested in a person coming to know him intimately, depending on him, than he is even in temporary faithfulness.

And this is how faithfulness and obedience is measured: Love the Lord your God with all your being.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟92,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Numbers 33:

Judges 2:

You didn't steam roll over the spiritual implications of this! Thank you! Many people try to "identify" Paul's thorn, but I firmly believe that Paul wanted it to be there for all of Christendom to personally identify, of their own needs in walk with Jesus.

Some attempt to make it a simple carnal matter of blindness. But, that removes the key insinuations of the thorn. We fail, but Jesus doesn't. That's exactly how Paul wrote about it.

Well written!

Upvote 0