Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I believe with a fundamental theory that the true,ancient,patristic,catholic/orthodox early Church is the true Church of Christ.

Then from there it gets Komplicated. :priest:
aaaand.... what leads you to believe that?

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I believe with a fundamental theory that the true,ancient,patristic,catholic/orthodox early Church is the true Church of Christ.

Then from there it gets Komplicated. :priest:
What fundamental theory is that?

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What fundamental theory is that?
The theory that states that the FOUNDATION (i.e. fundamental) of Christianity is built on the Scriptures as understood in their proper context, which we can gain understanding of through use of the ECF writings (i.e., Patristics).

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The theory that states that the FOUNDATION (i.e. fundamental) of Christianity is built on the Scriptures as understood in their proper context, which we can gain understanding of through use of the ECF writings (i.e., Patristics).
but the ECF's are not consistant. Doesn't that throw a monkey wrench in the works?

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
but the ECF's are not consistant. Doesn't that throw a monkey wrench in the works?
Nope. The accepted ECFs are universal in their understanding of Christ, salvation, sacraments, and the nature of the Church.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Nope. The accepted ECFs are universal in their understanding of Christ, salvation, sacraments, and the nature of the Church.
then could we not say that all other doctrines should not be so? The things that they are NOT consistant in? The things that typically seperate us into various denominations?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

No.

The Orthodox Holy Fathers were God's spiritual champions who exegeted the Scripture with real knowledge and a sense of patristic understanding.

They were the bearers of the apostolic traditions we still keep today.

Keep in mind that this is going back to the 1st century. :priest:

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
No.

The Orthodox Holy Fathers were God's spiritual champions who exegeted the Scripture with real knowledge and a sense of patristic understanding.

They were the bearers of the apostolic traditions we still keep today.

Keep in mind that this is going back to the 1st century. :priest:
I'm talking about specifically the around 300 AD explosion of teachings that are not previously seen in any writings. What of them?

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm talking about specifically the around 300 AD explosion of teachings that are not previously seen in any writings. What of them?

I'll have to look into 300 AD.

What the ancient Fathers did was defend the early Church against an endless list of Heretics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I admire the Book of Concord which LCMS conservative Lutherans are supposed to know and confess, but disagree the Protestant explanations of their theology.

I was going to provide you with a link to a website which had a nice summary of why Lutherans are consistent with the Augustinian tradition of the Western Church.

However, I looked and saw that the person maintaining the site has just converted to Roman Catholicism!
http://orthodoxlutheran.fws1.com/

Guess he was like Jaroslav Pelikan, who remarked about his conversion to Orthodoxy, "There was only so many times I could circle the airport before landing".

Upvote 0

simonthezealot

have you not read,what God has spoken unto you?
Apr 17, 2006
Minnesota
✟19,953.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm with Uphill on this one, and as I mentioned on another thread Paul was correcting churches as early as the mid 1st century whom already started screwing things up. Why would patristic sources support fundamental Christianity, when so many practiced different forms until some structure was forced in the councels of the 4th century.

Upvote 0

Uphill Battle

Apr 25, 2005
✟23,416.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I'm with Uphill on this one, and as I mentioned on another thread Paul was correcting churches as early as the mid 1st century whom already started screwing things up. Why would patristic sources support fundamental Christianity, when so many practiced different forms until some structure was forced in the councels of the 4th century.
and, at which point, some uncorrected error and/or unsupported doctines were dragged in to the mix, if I'm not mistaken.

Upvote 0

Knowledge3

Mar 29, 2005
✟9,814.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

Because patristic sources is philosophical wisdom and knowledge of Christian spirituality gleaned from prayer and spiritual experience in strict ascetics and monastic heyschasm.

Upvote 0

ScottBot

Revolutionary
May 2, 2005
a state of desperation
✟57,712.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm sure providing us with some specific examples would help us understand your paradigm.

Upvote 0