Apr 25, 2004
Australia
Visit site
✟16,641.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was a pastor in a legalistic semi-Baptist denomination for 20 years. Then I decided to go and get a master's to learn the Bible better. It took me over 5 years, but was a wonderful journey into the Scriptures. However, it also changed me. No longer could I be satisfied with the status quo. I believe that my district superintendant felt threatened, but may have had some other motive to get rid of me. He certainly lied to the denominational heads and got me out of the ministry.

Our friends could not understand why just "losing a job" ought to be so depressing to us. But this was not just a job, it was our friends, our lives, our mission for God. Our children saw all this and have been turned off of churches almost totally. My wife is still in pain and so am I.

After a move, we finally settled into a Pentecostal denomination and I began teaching at their Bible College. However, because I challenged students to think and to use their Bibles, rather than just swallow a party line because some man says so and because I had voiced the idea of founding an independent church, I was unceremoniously removed and accused of seeking to steal sheep.

I was eventually invited to preach at a CoC, which seemed to be just right for me. However, a 5 week vacation overseas was ruined upon our return, when we found out that an elder had taken over behind our backs during our absence. We promptly left the church, but a couple of months later, decided that the Christian thing to do was reconcile. Now I sit like a useless lump on a log while that elder invites every Tom, Dick and Harry to preach, but not me. I am in the penalty box and seem to have leprosy.

I would really love to go elsewhere, but cannot find a place and we need to go somewhere. I would really love to return to teaching the Scriptures, but for now that door is closed. I just wait upon God. Do any others have similar stories. I have heard that this is a common experience among pastors at least once in a lifetime.

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
It sounds like you've hit some of the worst circumstances that a pastor/minister can run into, and I'm really sorry to hear it because I know it will leave some deep wounds. My family, personally hasn't had to face anything that dramatic, but I have heard of pastors' families who have so you're not alone in that. I can't image what the ride has been like, but I hope & pray that you & your family will be able to find a peaceful place that fits you and supports you in your ministring.

Upvote 0

godsavedme555

Apr 21, 2007
✟155.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like you've hit some of the worst circumstances that a pastor/minister can run into, and I'm really sorry to hear it because I know it will leave some deep wounds. My family, personally hasn't had to face anything that dramatic, but I have heard of pastors' families who have so you're not alone in that. I can't image what the ride has been like, but I hope & pray that you & your family will be able to find a peaceful place that fits you and supports you in your ministring.

Upvote 0

godsupergirl

Mar 22, 2007
Visit site
✟7,708.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My dad was the pastor of a Southern Baptist church here in Ca. One day a man came to the church and told him that God sent him there to teach him. Now understand that my father was a very baptist man, and anything that had to do with the move of the Holy Spirit was just unacceptable. Well, this man prayed for my dad and he fell flat on the ground. He couldn't get up for about an hour. After that day whenever he layed hands on someone in the church strange things began to happen. Well, now we understand what was happening, but then we didn't.

Needless to say, the elders didn't like this at all. They accused my dad of stealing, tried to put the memebers against him and when that didn't work, went to the board. They had their way.

Everyone in the baptist community was informed and no one would talk to us. We were alone, well except God was there. Thank God 1 pastor was convicted and brought us food and a little money or we wouldn't have made it.

My dad started his own church and we've been here for about 10 years. God has been very good to us and has never left our side.

As a result though my brothers are very bitter and don't want to even look at a person who says they're a christian. As for me I found God in a personal way and I can't even imagine not having Him with me.
:swoon:

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟809,746.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, I regret that this has happened to you and your family. But you know we have to rely on what The Word says - Yahweh will turn out things for your good.

So I would use this time to work on forgiving - because when we're in pain, we haven't forgiven. We know, it's not be an easy task. My dh and I were hurt in a church and left churches for about 15 years. Now I realize how very important it is to forgive asap.

I love scripture, too. In I Sam 30, when King David & his men came into their camp & it had been destroyed and their families taken, scripture says he "encouraged himself in the Lord" then he started seeking the Lord on how to handle the situation.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

benedett

Nov 10, 2007
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're not alone, God builds character thru heartache. in 2002 I fell from grace, hard. leading worship, the youth ministry and having an 80 member bible study in my dad's 500+ member church in tijuana mexico. I lost it all to sin. my wife divorced me and married my best friend, lost all property, business, and self esteem. for 2 years i spent my life doing nothing but rebel against God. in late 2004 I returned and humbled my heart to the Savior, in another church. enjoying the fact that i was just a member helped me very much in the restoration process. 5 months into my new life, the pastor there asked me to head a halloween event, i agreed. God was opening all doors, produced, directed, wrote, and acted in 19 scene theatre production. full of twists and surprises, acrobats and stunts. God moved and in 6 days 100 people were saved and over 4000 tickets were sold @ $2.00. the important part is the won souls. there was much controversy, some married actors shared a kiss and the leader was entirely blamed, in this case, me. well, i became rather popular and the outcast, the pastors and his leaders came against me. it broke my heart, i asked myself as i brought down curtains from the ceiling "aren't these the people that are suppost to support you, aren't they here to help win souls and not attack new people from within.?" since the age of 12 i had been a pk, and knew that with every mission accomplished in the kingdom there would be repercussion from the enemy. It was my first time feeling them from within. i feel that this particular pastor was intimidated, instead of bringing new soul winning people around him, he has a history of pushing successful leaders away. I also feel that starting a new church would be my best choice. As a pk, you learn to see things that don't make sense neither spiritually or logically, and with so many experiences you get from growing up in church, you learn to imitate the good, and discard the past falls, either from you or around you or above you. keep on going, there is a plan behind it.

My outlook on that experience is this. If ever the great God of heaven decides to use my life in a massive way, preaching and sharing to the millions, and any personalities come against the work of God in my life. you know what, i can say it'll be alright, that already happend to me before. as King Solomon once said, there is nothing new under the sun. pastors make mistakes, elders have issues too. forgive them, they taught you something. they contributed to your growth. as a matter of fact. thank them, God will be glorified, and isn't that what it's all about anyway. it's not about us. although we can share anecdotes and life teachings. it's all about Jesus.

Upvote 0

BookReader

Oct 23, 2007
Jakarta
✟15,481.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
My Dad went through some tough times, and as a result, I was affected.
My Dad was born with a silver spoon, but he rejected it to live for God. He ministered in Indonesia, where he got me, then moved to Malaysia. At first, he could not find much work, but this he knew: he wanted to live for God. An elder offered him a job with a high salary, so we moved to the north part of Malaysia. But there, things began to fall apart. My Dad recieved his pay later and later, but he still hung on, knowing that God would help him. Eventually, he recieved less and less, and had it not been for kind contributors, we would have become bankrupt. Why? Because on the pulpit, he preached of repentance, sin, and spiritual death. The elders, who once sat in the front row, moved further back every Sunday until they did not attend the service. They insisted on getting a bigger location even though there were few members. It got so bad, until we left the place and returned to the capital. There, we saw in the news the same elder who offered my Dad a job arrested for fraud. I do not mean to ridicule them; I am just telling the plain truth. Many things came after that, things worse than what I described. But here, I will end my story. Praise Jesus for protecting us and helping us through all those times!

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2008
Visit site
✟15,144.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have never experienced such things as listed /w/ my dad being a pastor, but we've had bumps in the road. My dad is a hard core, fireball, southern baptist preacher that preachs God's KJV Bible. My dad didn't go to Bible college, he doesn't have any initials in front of his name, but he's the best preacher that I've ever heard. He's not a pep talker, an encourager, or a motivator, he's just a really good, God called preacher, we've had some rough times, but God has always been there for us, and has never left us and never will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums