Orthodox View on Masturbation - Is it a Sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaRegina

Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟115,460.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
jkotinek said:
This, like the topic of masturbation in general, isn't something that you're likely to find treatises written on. ;)

To extend Aria's answer a bit (if that isn't too presumptuous),consider the theology expressed in marriage, that it should be a reflection of the relationship of the Trinity: two distinct persons in an insoluble relationship. The kind of love that should be expressed is unselfish and completing. The sex act, as the physical expression of that relationship, would necessarily not be individual, but cooperative. To be somewhat base, both parties should be experiencing fulfillment and genuine love for the other--not a fetishized fantasy or exotic objectification. Without getting into specifics of what is allowed or not allowed, I think that is a good guideline, as it would also be relevant to misuse of sex even in traditional modes of intercourse.

Good answer.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta said:
I'm very glad you posted this, James. The idea that sex is sinful (within marriage) if procreation is not intended is NOT a traditional Christian belief. Actually, a lot of what some have said sounded very Roman Catholic, as they tend to view marital sex this way.
Catholics do not view marital sex as sinful, but as an image of the relationship between Christ and the Church. Please do not misrepresent our beliefs. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Carly said:
Catholics do not view marital sex as sinful, but as an image of the relationship between Christ and the Church. Please do not misrepresent our beliefs. Thank you.

To be fair, there are Catholics who believe this, GDE stated as such and Neal has cleared up that it is not the belief of your Church. Jumping in with accusations of misrepresentation is unecessary, especially after an apology was made.

GDE said:
I have some family members who are devout RC and have indicated they believed it was sin if not for procreation. I assumed it was something that the RCC taught. Sorry! Is this something that the RCC stance has changed over time, like with Vatican II?

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Pie-baking apron-clad hausfrau :D
Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks, Oblio.:)

While sex is not meant for ONLY for procreation, children should be the natural consequence of it. It is the natural order of things. You can't exactly have children as a result of oral sex. It also seems like a selfish act IMO.

Wow...........this might be starting to get a little too graphic for me....:blush: I guess it's better to ask about these things rather than live in ignorance or deception, though.

Upvote 0

Filia Mariae

Senior Contributor
Jul 27, 2003
USA
Visit site
✟11,996.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Oblio said:
To be fair, there are Catholics who believe this,
There are also Orthodox who believe this. There are Jews who believe this. There are Muslims and Hindus who believe this. When I refer to what any religious group believes, I refer to their actual teaching and not the vast spectrum of beliefs which nominal members of that group may hold as it causes less confusion.

GDE stated as such and Neal has cleared up that it is not the belief of your Church. Jumping in with accusations of misrepresentation is unecessary, especially after an apology was made.
I did not see that exchange. I apologize.

Upvote 0

walking.away.123

Mar 24, 2004
None
✟25,039.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Carly said:

I just finished reading Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales. He said that only holy marriage covers up the sin of sex. It was pretty clear that he felt it was sin but that marriage sanctified it. I doubt many hold that opinion today, but that is the history.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Orthodox does not have "venial" and "mortal" sins. All sin is a seperation from God and needs to be confessed.

Just for clarification, all venial and mortal sins are separation from God as well and need to be confessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BlestVessel

May 17, 2004
COLORADO, WITH MY HUSBAND
Visit site
✟7,929.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Oblio, can you tell me where this is written in Scripture? That we must effort to search our past for sin? A person can sin 5-50 times a day, in heart, in thought, in deed, in lack of deed, how is a memory to recall this? From what I know of Scripture, it says "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" and the saved are adopted sons and daughters, members of the bodies of Christ. The Holy Spirit reveals things from the past that need to be resolved, that's part of His purpose in us, to help us and correct us. Yet He doesn't drill our minds, expect us to set aside days and weeks to recount the past, no, we're to trust in HIS work in us and cooperate accordingly. This recalling to memory is indicative of a lack of faith, or so it appears to me.

Upvote 0
M

Matthias

I wouldn't be too hasty in your opinion. Plus, why does everything HAVE to be in the Bible? The Bible is ultimately open to interpretation. I've found that posting passages from the Bible can cause debates, and whatnot, so I tend to keep away from posting passages from the Bible to back up my beliefs or the beliefs of a specific denomination.

How about the idea of being baptised? There are numerous passages in the Bible on the theme of being baptised and the consequences of not doing so; it's how someone interprets them that matters. Burt might interpret a certain passage as saying this, George might interpret it as saying something else, and Doug might not agree with either of them.

Oblio can post the passages from the Bible for you; the question is if you will believe them to mean what us Orthodox believe them to mean...

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
From a Catholic standpoint, sex within marriage is meant to be both procreative and unitive; procreative, in the sense that the couple must always be open to new life. And unitive, in the sense that it is an expression of love and a divine reflection of the unity of the spousal relationship between Christ and the Church.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rising_Suns said:
From a Catholic standpoint, sex within marriage is meant to be both procreative and unitive; procreative, in the sense that the couple must always be open to new life. And unitive, in the sense that it is an expression of love and a divine reflection of the unity of the spousal relationship between Christ and the Church.
I agree, and from what I've read so far Orthodox teaching would support this. Only thing is that the unitive aspect of it leaves some grey area where other sex acts are concerned. One could still claim that love and unity are shared (as well as mutual satisfaction) in non-procreative sex acts. I really don't know the answer to this.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BlestVessel said:
Oblio, can you tell me where this is written in Scripture? That we must effort to search our past for sin? A person can sin 5-50 times a day, in heart, in thought, in deed, in lack of deed, how is a memory to recall this?

We are called to confess our sins and repent. These commandments are throughout Scripture both in example and as a directive. If we do not search and examine our heart completely, how can we be expected to change it's direction (metanoia or what is translated as repent is literally the change of the nous, or the heart. We must examine thoroughly that which we wish to change) ?? The memory recalls what it can, as we progress further towards theosis, the mind becomes more adapt at recalling that which is counter to God's will, that is sin, for it is counter to that which it is progressing towards.

From what I know of Scripture, it says "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shalt be saved" and the saved are adopted sons and daughters, members of the bodies of Christ.
... And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house.
(Acts 16:32)

Now the question is, what is the word of the Lord ?

The Holy Spirit reveals things from the past that need to be resolved, that's part of His purpose in us, to help us and correct us. Yet He doesn't drill our minds, expect us to set aside days and weeks to recount the past, no, we're to trust in HIS work in us and cooperate accordingly. This recalling to memory is indicative of a lack of faith, or so it appears to me.

Perhaps you misunderstand, this life confession is a one time event, prior to Baptism/Chrismation. It is in some ways similar yet more exhaustive than the impromptu confessions given by Evangelicals at 'altar calls'. Later confessions are prepared for with only a search of the recent past (perhaps similar to repeat responses to altar calls). His work in us is precisely that, to help us to see with new eyes that where we fall short, and with a new tongue confess those things to Him. I fail to see how this is indicative of a lack of faith.

With all respect, the idea that we just trust in His work and go along for the ride so to speak with a simple sinners prayer (a general confession) and the Bible under your arm is a modern Protestant idea and has no basis in Christianity.

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
One could still claim that love and unity are shared (as well as mutual satisfaction) in non-procreative sex acts.

Then from the Catholic Church's standpoint, this would be disordered against God's will, since sex must be both procreative and unitive, not either or.

Upvote 0

Grand_Duchess-Elizaveta

Jun 22, 2004
Canada
✟4,397.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rising_Suns said:
Then from the Catholic Church's standpoint, this would be disordered against God's will, since sex must be both procreative and unitive, not either or.
Makes sense. What if the couple is infertile? Does that mean they're not suppose to have "relations"?

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rising_Suns said:

So does that mean that catholics believe that sex, for purposes other than procreation is sinful. This seems to fly counter to Carly's assertion that the Church does not teach that sex for purposes other than procreation is sinful. :confused:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.