Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
This post follows an article written by Russell Moore,
editor of Christianity Today.

Christianity Today Editor Rips Republicans For Lacking 'Moral Vision' In Abortion Stances

With the cancerous growth of political tribes in America, the true voice of historical Christians is being subsumed by ludicrous conspiracy theories, and golden sneakers.

Although Biden claims to be a Catholic Christian, his loyalty to the Democratic Party's position on abortion, is completely at odds with being a Catholic Christian.

Although Trump claims to be sensitive to Evangelical Protestant Christians, his logically incoherent statements on the law and morality are incompatible both with historic Christianity, and the historic definition of a fair rule of law.

It's time that ALL Christian groups in America realize that there is no American political party that represents them. And this grinding fact, is clear on the topic of abortion.

Russell Moore, editor of Christianity Today, is right. American Christians should never let the political parties presume to speak for historical Christians.

American Christians need to vote for a candidate that will uphold the fair rule of law in America, regardless of the outcome of court decisions. This, at least, will uphold freedom of religion for Christians in America. That is a basic starting point.

Then, at the state level, Christians should be quite clear that our bodies are not our own -- they belong to God. And we have a moral-ethical OUGHT to live in our bodies, in a way that is righteous and brings honor to God. This contradicts the lawless posturing of Donald Trump, who thinks that the law of the land is only valid if it acquits him of dozens of felony charges. This contradicts the immoral tolerance by Joe Biden of abortion on demand, which historic Christians have always associated with murder of a human being.

The teaching of the Bible on how we ought to use our bodies, is offensive to BOTH of the caricatured policies of the American political parties.

And American Christians must come to grips with the fact that orthodox Christian teaching has now become offensive to both of the main political parties.

American Christians must stop voting for political parties, and start to vote strategically first to uphold a fair rule of law, and to uphold public safety, but then also to support freedom of religion for orthodox Christian groups that are increasingly treated as second class citizens.

And Christians in America need to reject the political rhetoric of the political parties, that claims to uphold Christian values and morality. The behavior of the House is despicable. The behavior of Donald Trump is despicable. The claim by Joe Biden to be a Catholic Christian is despicable.

Christians need to extricate themselves from their attachments to either of these political parties. And Christians need to start voting as a completely independent block of voters, cut free of the childish conspiracy theories that Trump trumpets, or the fake Christian associations that Biden claims to have.

• Winner
Reactions: AlexB23

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟250,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Russell Moore, editor of Christianity Today, is right. American Christians should never let the political parties presume to speak for historical Christians.
Russel Moore should never presume to speak for all Christians.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟570,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Those exceptions? “Rape, incest and declining poll numbers,”

That's a pretty sick burn, but I think it'll be lost on a crowd that largely turned their backs on him for rejecting Trump.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The teaching of the Bible on how we ought to use our bodies
The key word is "our" and yet we worry about others? How about Love and Prayer keeping our mouths shut and letting God do the rest? I still think God can do it.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,138,963.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians aren't an independent bloc. The difference between evangelicals and mainstream Protestants is a chasm.
Catholic voters split equally between the two parties.
There are no homogeneous churches.
If your theoretical independent bloc tried to micro manage my vote, I would still evaluate things on my own.

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟179,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
This post follows an article written by Russell Moore,
editor of Christianity Today.

Christianity Today Editor Rips Republicans For Lacking 'Moral Vision' In Abortion Stances

With the cancerous growth of political tribes in America, the true voice of historical Christians is being subsumed by ludicrous conspiracy theories, and golden sneakers.

Although Biden claims to be a Catholic Christian, his loyalty to the Democratic Party's position on abortion, is completely at odds with being a Catholic Christian.

Although Trump claims to be sensitive to Evangelical Protestant Christians, his logically incoherent statements on the law and morality are incompatible both with historic Christianity, and the historic definition of a fair rule of law.

It's time that ALL Christian groups in America realize that there is no American political party that represents them. And this grinding fact, is clear on the topic of abortion.

American Christians need to vote for a candidate that will uphold the fair rule of law in America, regardless of the outcome of court decisions. This, at least, will uphold freedom of religion for Christians in America. That is a basic starting point.

Then, at the state level, Christians should be quite clear that our bodies are not our own -- they belong to God. And we have a moral-ethical OUGHT to live in our bodies, in a way that is righteous and brings honor to God. This contradicts the lawless posturing of Donald Trump, who thinks that the law of the land is only valid if it acquits him of dozens of felony charges. This contradicts the immoral tolerance by Joe Biden of abortion on demand, which historic Christians have always associated with murder of a human being.

The teaching of the Bible on how we ought to use our bodies, is offensive to BOTH of the caricatured policies of the American political parties.

And American Christians must come to grips with the fact that orthodox Christian teaching has now become offensive to both of the main political parties.

American Christians must stop voting for political parties, and start to vote strategically first to uphold a fair rule of law, and to uphold public safety, but then also to support freedom of religion for orthodox Christian groups that are increasingly treated as second class citizens.

And Christians in America need to reject the political rhetoric of the political parties, that claims to uphold Christian values and morality. The behavior of the House is despicable. The behavior of Donald Trump is despicable. The claim by Joe Biden to be a Catholic Christian is despicable.

Christians need to extricate themselves from their attachments to either of these political parties. And Christians need to start voting as a completely independent block of voters, cut free of the childish conspiracy theories that Trump trumpets, or the fake Christian associations that Biden claims to have.
Biden may be a fake Christian as you see it but as President he has no mandate to criminalize a Christian sin for non-Christian citizens of a secular republic.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟154,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Christians aren't an independent bloc. The difference between evangelicals and mainstream Protestants is a chasm.
Catholic voters split equally between the two parties.
There are no homogeneous churches.
If your theoretical independent bloc tried to micro manage my vote, I would still evaluate things on my own.
Once the most “correct Christians” are in control, then we’ll see things “improve”, yessiree.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟154,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟44,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My take on Russell Moore's article, is that SUDDENLY, many Christians in
America are realizing that Trump is not a representative of Christian
moral-ethical values.

My point is that neither political party in America, represents Christian
ME values. And, that the fair rule of law in America, needs to be upheld
in America, to guarantee freedom of religion in America.

Some of the responses here, are not dealing with these basic assertions.
They may be relevant ME topics, but do not deal with they basic sea
change in the attitude of Christianity Today.

I think that Christians in America, should NOT automatically identify with
either of the main political parties in America.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟44,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Biden may be a fake Christian as you see it but as President he has no mandate to criminalize a Christian sin for non-Christian citizens of a secular republic.

I'm not sure what you're asserting.

The president in the United States does not write the laws, and so cannot criminalize
anything.

As for the rule of law, ANY fair rule of law criminalizes somethings, and promotes
some other things. If you claim that a fair rule of law CANNOT criminalize ANYTHING,
then you are standing against most moral-ethical thinkers throughout history.

What exactly, are you asserting?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟312,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
moral-ethical values.

Then they are rather slow on the uptake or just didn't pay attention. Whatever variety of Christian moral-ethical values you subscribe to or express, Trump never really fit any of them.

Reactions: Fantine
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟29,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then they are rather slow on the uptake or just didn't pay attention. Whatever variety of Christian moral-ethical values you subscribe to or express, Trump never really fit any of them.
This is why I was against Trump in 2016. Heck, my position on him even got me temp-banned from my favorite political form, a member of which I have been since 1997. But then he became president. Based on what he did as president I consider him the best president of the last 120 years. But I wouldn't want my sister marrying him.

One of the logical flaws a lot of us Christians share when it comes to selecting political leaders is that we are looking for Jesus II. Problem is, when you are limited to normal human beings in the talent pool, perfection is the enemy of excellence.

Maybe that is why God still called a murderer and adulterer a man after His own heart.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
One of the logical flaws a lot of us Christians share when it comes to selecting political leaders is that we are looking for Jesus II. Problem is, when you are limited to normal human beings in the talent pool, perfection is the enemy of excellence.

Maybe that is why God still called a murderer and adulterer a man after His own heart.
Preach it, brother! I thank God for his love because of my adultery. Maybe David was cut some slack because the Lord knew David loved him, Psalms is proof of it. It's not all about my actions. I used to think we needed more Christians in government but no longer because looking back for 50 years we were hard-loaded with "Christians" in government and look at today. I think we need to get all those old tractors out government put some youth. The millennials are smart or at least the ones I've met.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟499,290.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The key word is "our" and yet we worry about others?
I think the word "our" in that sentence implies the bodies of all of mankind, collectively. Even the bodies of non-christians should be used according to the standards of a certain sub-group of christianity.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟179,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what you're asserting.

The president in the United States does not write the laws, and so cannot criminalize
anything.

As for the rule of law, ANY fair rule of law criminalizes somethings, and promotes
some other things. If you claim that a fair rule of law CANNOT criminalize ANYTHING,
then you are standing against most moral-ethical thinkers throughout history.

What exactly, are you asserting?
That abortion being a Christian sin is not enough of a reason to criminalize it for the non-Christians citizens of a secular state.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,138,963.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That abortion being a Christian sin is not enough of a reason to criminalize it for the non-Christians citizens of a secular state.
And some mainstream Protestant denominations do not prohibit abortion.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,792.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
moral-ethical values.

My point is that neither political party in America, represents Christian
ME values. And, that the fair rule of law in America, needs to be upheld
in America, to guarantee freedom of religion in America.

Some of the responses here, are not dealing with these basic assertions.
They may be relevant ME topics, but do not deal with they basic sea
change in the attitude of Christianity Today.

I think that Christians in America, should NOT automatically identify with
either of the main political parties in America.
I kind of agree with you because it's tribalism. Humans like to be in tribes so it takes a special person to step outside their comfort zone. I'd like to think this human evolved from my animal instincts. Except for my Cowboys even when they were snorting cocaine.

I have to ask when are your morals my morals because every Christian will be shown their shortcomings and I have plenty. But Russel's persuasion can go too extreme like everything else in this country, Christians resort to names like "baby killer". I've heard and thought that back in the day. I think we should worry about our salvation and let others work out their own.

"I think he’s trying to make this intentionally murky,” Moore said. “The problem is that a pro-life vision requires a moral vision, requires persuasion as to why every human life is valuable. And that requires a particular view of human dignity, of vulnerability. And we don’t have that here."

For whatever reason Trump chose his stance on abortion law, I don't care because I agree. That law is imposing morals on people who'd like to live otherwise (Liberty?). You can see also the extremism on the right and left if you look for it. Peace

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,280,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

It's more at the denominational level, that you see wildly different politics from Mainline Protestants. Depending on the denomination, you can find congregants that are Evangelical-adjacent in many Mainline Protestant churches.

Upvote 0