Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Not Under The Law?

Here is a 6 minute video I saw that explains the whole 'being under law" term.

What are your thoughts on this video?

My thought is that God says we are no longer under the law, because we are no longer under the law. Simple. No need to jump through so many theological hoops just to try and make it say something it doesn't. Christ IS the end of the law for all who believe. Believe it.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟88,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree that Christ is the completion of the law, but I dont think that Christians get a free pass and have no rules that God wants them to abide by.

While we may no longer be under the curse of the law, we are still expected to keep Gods commands and are under grace to repent when we sin.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
I agree that Christ is the completion of the law, but I dont think that Christians get a free pass and have no rules that God wants them to abide by.

While we may no longer be under the curse of the law, we are still expected to keep Gods commands and are under grace to repent when we sin.

We are no longer under law. Period.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
We are no longer under the law as it relates to the old covenant. Our new law is the teachings of Jesus. His words will be our judge. The teachings of Jesus reveals the spirit of the law on stone.

If you are in Christ, Christ is in you, and you are no longer under law. Period.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟88,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you are in Christ, Christ is in you, and you are no longer under law. Period.

Romans 10:4

New King James Version (NKJV)

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

This means the law itself cant provide righteousness, and Christ completes the law. It doesnt mean as a Christian , you dont have any commands that God expects you to obey.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian
Romans 10:4

New King James Version (NKJV)

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

This means the law itself cant provide righteousness, and Christ completes the law. It doesnt mean as a Christian , you dont have any commands that God expects you to obey.

It means the law cannot produce righteousness. Only the Righteous One can....and where is He? And what is He doing?

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

So who here says or implies Christians get a free pass on sin? The only people here I know of saying anything like this is the pro law contingency.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟88,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So who here says or implies Christians get a free pass on sin? The only people here I know of saying anything like this is the pro law contingency.

I think the misunderstanding is the "not under the law". We are expected to follow Gods laws though. ALL might not apply to us as Christians as some were ceremonial, apllied to priests only, some to women.

Now the big problem comes when you think you can actually gain your righteousness from being obedient to the law and not realize its your faith that saves you. I know many who will eat , sleep, and drink Torah and every other word out their mouth is Torah and think they are so holy because they keep Torah.

The pro law crowd issue is not their trying to be obedient to Gods commands, but its the constant misjudgementation and condemnation of others when they feel they are not living right according to them.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

I think the misunderstanding is the "not under the law". We are expected to follow Gods laws though. ALL might not apply to us as Christians as some were ceremonial, apllied to priests only, some to women.

Now the big problem comes when you think you can actually gain your righteousness from being obedient to the law and not realize its your faith that saves you. I know many who will eat , sleep, and drink Torah and every other word out their mouth is Torah and think they are so holy because they keep Torah.

The pro law crowd issue is not their trying to be obedient to Gods commands, but its the constant misjudgementation and condemnation of others when they feel they are not living right according to them.
Isn't that exactly what the pro law contingency promote?

"It means eternal salvation to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord" {6T 356.4}

What do you make of this verse -

Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟88,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isn't that exactly what the pro law contingency promote?

"It means eternal salvation to keep the Sabbath holy unto the Lord" {6T 356.4}

What do you make of this verse -

Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

The law is for the lawless who break it. As Christians if we are not doing those activities, we are not under the law and dont have to worry about the penalty of breaking it applying to us.
Usually when the Sabbatrian crowd jumps in, they go on the, if you break one commandment you break all of them rant and start comparing Sabbath breaking to murder and stealing.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

The law is for the lawless who break it. As Christians if we are not doing those activities, we are not under the law and dont have to worry about the penalty of breaking it applying to us.
Usually when the Sabbatrian crowd jumps in, they go on the, if you break one commandment you break all of them rant and start comparing Sabbath breaking to murder and stealing.
So how does now we are delivered from the law mean only when we don't sin? Please explain.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟88,485.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So how does now we are delivered from the law mean only when we don't sin? Please explain.

We are delivered from the curse of the law. Now when we sin we have grace to repent. If we dont repent we are still under the curse of the law.

The bible says no murder will inherit the kingdom of heaven, but that is assuming you murdered someone and never repent. But the bible also say not to abuse grace either, ie commit the same sin over and over again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
F

from scratch

We are delivered from the curse of the law. Now when we sin we have grace to repent. If we dont repent we are still under the curse of the law.

The bible says no murder will inherit the kingdom of heaven, but that is assuming you murdered someone and never repent. But the bible also say not to abuse grace either, ie commit the same sin over and over again.

IOW the law holds no power. I don't run from the law to grace if I sin, I live under grace. The law has no say.

The Bible doesn't say those who don't murder will inherit the kingdom of heaven.

Yes I fully agree with you and Paul on the matter of abusing grace.

Reactions: listed
Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian

Nope, I'm sorry but this doesn't work either as you are equating a sin can cancel out our redemption in Christ, which makes us have to AGAIN become redeemed. We aren't redeemed constantly by repentance it happens once when we accept Jesus. You are advocating the idea EACH sin forfeits our salvation.

Galatians 3:13New American Standard Bible (NASB)

13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a [a]tree”—

Upvote 0