✟8,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi All!

I was curious about how many use NFP and how many just let things happen whenever.

Also, for anyone who uses NFP, what do you think of the scripture where Paul tells us not to deprive our spouse except for a time of prayer?

My DH thought that that verse rules out NFP because of the amount of time per month that you must abstain. Thoughts anyone????

Pleasant weekend!

Katydid

Just a Mom
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama
✟11,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, we don't use NFP. We don't use any birth control. But, I do know some who use NFP. There are a few that I know that only abstain for about 3 or 4 days. But they use The Billings Method. At any rate, from what I understand it is more accurate. So there are ways that don't require you to abstain for 7 days or so. But, the point is, if a couple is using NFP, then they have agreed to seperate for a time. They can use that time for prayer. So it is how you look at it. Your dh can say that Paul's one verse says that you can't abstain once a month, but that is not what that verse says. It says to be in agreement in abstaining, and use that time for prayer.

Upvote 0

teishpriest

Feb 23, 2007
United States
✟8,006.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for some of the replies. I think the big thing about NFP was that I have a MUCH harder time tracking my cycle when I'm nursing, so I thought that I was fertile WAY more often than I was. That and the stress of worrying about getting pregnant again was really making me crazy, and I wasn't "in the mood" or even very pleasant to live with. So in our case, it wasn't just a few days, LOL! It was really a relief for me to stop worrying about it.

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

We use NFP...but are also very open to any new life which results from our union. I wouldn't use it at all if we didn't feel like we had grave reason to postpone pregnancy. However, in our circumstances trying to space pregnancies is prudent and responsible.

We use Billings Method- and I have never had any ambiguity about my fertility returning while I was nursing or knowing my fertile times while I was nursing. Other than our oldest- I have always been nursing when I have gotten pregnant, and it was only with this last that it was sort of a surprise- but that was because I was taking allergy medicine which masked my fertility symptoms and we really ought to have abstained, but just didn't think about the medicine. It was very early- like day 6 of my cycle. However that had to do with medication and user failure rather than method failure.

We abstain about a week to 10 days each month (not at the same time- this is for menstruation and fertility) when we are trying to postpone pregnancy and I am having my menses. It's kind of neato because afte ovulation it's like a mini honeymoon every month....

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟21,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I used Billings during a time when we could not afford to have a child. I loved using the method. Like St Paul says in Corinthians, we agree to abstain for a short time and we use that time for more prayer and fasting. I see 1Cor7 as an affirmation of the appropriateness of NFP in some situations. I don't know any couples who abstain for a period of prayer and fasting except those who use or have used NFP.

The way I see it is that we want to put ourselves into God's hands when it comes to children, when and how many. So we would only use NFP in serious circumstances, because we believe that God does ask us to be responsible. There are times, especially just after the birth of a child, when it would be irresponsible to conceive because of the detriment to the mother's health.

I agree with you Rose, the time after ovulation is awesome! It's like a second honeymoon every cycle;).

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟21,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for some of the replies. I think the big thing about NFP was that I have a MUCH harder time tracking my cycle when I'm nursing, so I thought that I was fertile WAY more often than I was. That and the stress of worrying about getting pregnant again was really making me crazy, and I wasn't "in the mood" or even very pleasant to live with. So in our case, it wasn't just a few days, LOL! It was really a relief for me to stop worrying about it.

Maybe a change in method is required...

Upvote 0

oliveplants

Senior Veteran
Jan 4, 2006
✟11,079.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
We sort of tried to use NFP. We refuse to abstain during fertile times, because, well, we don;t want to. :blush: SO we used a condom or VCF. I was tracking fertility by mucus and spit (under a microscope), as I'd heard the temp thing only works if you sleep all night. But either the VCF didn't work or else DH's sperm lived 4 days in infertile mucus, cause I got pregnant anyway. (Sorry TMI.)

We are delighted about the baby, I was just trying to space a little for my health.

I know anything but abstinance makes NFP less effective, but we just can't bring ourselves to do that.

As far as the scripture, I can see how that can be applied either way, but to me (personally) it does lean more away from NFP than towards it.

Upvote 0

Christdefinesme

Sep 21, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Visit site
✟16,560.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmmm:scratch:
So just curious cuz I was reading through these threads, we use the Billings method (Love and Fertility, right?)
And, how is FAM, different from Billings? Seems like the same thing....
Anyhow, we also use condoms during the fertile times, but, I've always considered that birth control, not necessarily "quiverfull" mentality.
What's your opinion?
Just curious.....anyhow the billings method is so great, in our case.
It's perfect for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 5, 2009
Austria
✟7,619.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We use NFP, to be more accurate, we use the STM (sympto-thermal-method). Even though it can be a bit confusing while breastfeeding, it works really well when you keep to the rules. At times when we don't want to abstain we use a diaphragm. It does the trick.
I'm just so glad that I don't take the Pill anymore for years. Only when I got rid of it, did I notice how it affected my relationship to the Lord and my health.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JmelynnOU

Princess of the King!
Nov 2, 2005
Bartlesville, OK
Visit site
✟15,183.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am very confused by all of this talk about condoms and NFP...the point of being Quiverfull is that we don't use ANY forms of birthcontrol or attempt to CONTROL any part of it. I don't condemn anyone for using these things...it is none of my business...but you can't say you are Quiverfull if you are practicing NFP.

Upvote 0

BeanIrene

Aug 31, 2010
Cheyenne, WY
✟15,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If we are ever blessed to be back into fertile circumstances, we will not be using any birth control.

I grew up in a family where birth control was completely normal, and almost...well...something that we just did. I spent a lot of years on birth control, and 2 1/2 years ago was finally able to be off for good. It has been better for my health in ways I could not even express.

So if the choice ever came again, I would choose nothing. We abstain for 7 days during my menstruation (yes, I have one that long) and then go back to coming together when ever the desire arrises.

Upvote 0