New fossil shows four-legged fishapod that returned to the water while Tiktaalik ventured onto land

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟236,545.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
If you'll excuse me for just a moment: I need to go to the men's room and look in the mirror and see how much loathing is showing on my face...^_^
The adjective 'loath' (or 'loth') means disinclined, reluctant or unwilling. It does not have the same meaning as the verb 'loathe', which means 'regard with disgust, abominate, detest'.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,152,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The adjective 'loath' (or 'loth') means disinclined, reluctant or unwilling. It does not have the same meaning as the verb 'loathe', which means 'regard with disgust, abominate, detest'.

That's a good point. .... ok.

So, I instead went to the men's room to see how much of a loath face I could see upon mine own visage.

It's not quite Steinbeck, and it's not quite right, but it works for me. (Gawd, I always was loath to attend English class!) ^_^

Last edited:
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟156,345.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
When you stop asking loaded questions then we can more fully engage just about any and every ETHICS quadrilemma you'd like to engage. :cool:
Loaded as in substantive.

It's a thing, for theists generally, with
only frivolous questions, and answers
built of air.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟156,345.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm sure he knows that, as well as he and I
know the reason for the equivocation.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,152,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Loaded as in substantive.

It's a thing, for theists generally, with
only frivolous questions, and answers
built of air.

Are you implying you'd actually like to have a serious engagement in a discussion of the Bible?

My goodness, Estrid! Why didn't you tell me earlier? We could have saved a lot of wasted time. :dontcare:

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟156,345.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you implying you'd actually like to have a serious engagement in a discussion of the Bible?

My goodness, Estrid! Why didn't you tell me earlier? We could have saved a lot of wasted time. :dontcare:
And now you go with condescendtion /snark.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,152,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And now you go with condescendtion /snark.

Well, not everyone can be perfect, Estrid. Besides, I'm trying to lighten up the mood because if really want to "talk Bible," conversation can go South in the blink of an eye.

Or, we can handle this the "Estrid" way? How would you prefer I approach our conversations, Estrid? Do you want me to present less crappy humor on my part? I can do that. But you might not like what you hear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟246,080.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Well, not everyone can be perfect, Estrid. Besides, I'm trying to lighten up the mood because if really want to "talk Bible," conversation can go South in the blink of an eye.
Wouldn't it be more appropriate, and certainly more polite, to focus on the subject of the thread?

I've added a question mark to the sentence, but - just to be clear - it's rhetorical.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,152,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wouldn't it be more appropriate, and certainly more polite, to focus on the subject of the thread?

I've added a question mark to the sentence, but - just to be clear - it's rhetorical.

Are you kidding? That would be an act of consistency, and if there's anything worse than being boring here on CF, it's to react to other people with any kind of consistency. I mean, it's not like anyone is really here to learn anything, and I'd hate to stop folks from having the freedom to avoid education. :D

Upvote 0

doubtingmerle

I'll think about it.
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2003
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟468,520.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
How many tries did it take them to find this thing?
Evolution theory did not give the exact GPS coordinates of where Tiktaalik or Qikiqtania would be found. It did give indications of the general rock layers where such creatures might be. However, those rock layers are huge.

If somebody told you that he dropped a needle in a particular haystack, and sure enough, you eventually find the needle in that haystack, was the person who told you this wrong?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,951,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Evolution theory did not give the exact GPS coordinates of where Tiktaalik or Qikiqtania would be found.

I stopped right here.

I'm looking for a number.

Not two paragraphs of baloney.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟156,345.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
You are using the wrong mental map in the sense that the map is not the territory. The Paleontologist did not set out looking for Tiktaalik or Qikiqtani they were looking for fossils in an area that was a likely place for fossils to have formed.

The finding showed that "The transition from life in water to life on land was going both ways." which was not previously understood.
The transition back to water has been going on
ever since there were land animals and continues today.

Upvote 0

Frank Robert

Feb 18, 2021
KW
✟127,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The transition back to water has been going on
ever since there were land animals and continues today.
Yes it has. @AV1611VET's mental map is that it takes multiple tries to find something that is being specifically specifically searched for as in the return to water as opposed to new knowledge or things not quite understood.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟847,275.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I stopped right here.

I'm looking for a number.

Not two paragraphs of baloney.

Will this do?
I'm not sure what counts as a try, but it was after five seasons of hunting on the same island.

"After five years of digging on Ellesmere Island, in the far north of Nunavut, they hit pay dirt: a collection of several fish so beautifully preserved that their skeletons were still intact. As Shubin's team studied the species they saw to their excitement that it was exactly the missing intermediate they were looking for. 'We found something that really split the difference right down the middle,' says Daeschler."

• Informative
Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟156,345.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes it has. @AV1611VET's mental map is that it takes multiple tries to find something that is being specifically specifically searched for as in the return to water as opposed to new knowledge or things not quite understood.
Who cares what he thinks

Upvote 0