• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

my grandmother tells me I'm going to Hell

Feb 21, 2015
NORTH CAROLINA
✟15,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My grandma(or what I call her is GaGa) has a really bad religious spirit..
Her walk with God is all about "religion and not "relationship"
My whole life it's been, if you do this you're going to hell. If you do that you're going to hell.
And now that I'm saved it really hurts my feelings.
I know I'm saved.
I know it's according to my faith and not hers.
But it's hard when I perform praise and worship dances at my church and my first solo is coming up and she won't be there.
Now I know it's for the Lord but it still hurts when your family isn't there..
But every time we talk its like she bashes me and everything I believe in.
She tells me all the time I'm going to hell and that God doesn't recognize my church, because we don't do things like she believes..
Even went as far as telling my mom God doesn't recognize her marriage because they weren't married at "God's church".
Please help I love her but I'm not sure what to do

7angels

Dec 8, 2011
✟10,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
you know it may hurt you by what she says but i worry about your grandma's salvation. this is not the time for you to be worrying about yourself but to be praying for your grandma. if what you say is true then you should be praying for God to open her heart and mind to the truth without any demonic interference to get in the way of your grandma making a decision of whether to accept or reject Christ with a clear mind unhindered by ungodly influences. just pray also that when the time comes for her to make her decision that she makes the right choice.

i hope this helps.

God bless

Upvote 0

TheBarrd

Teller of tales, writer of poems, singer of songs
Mar 1, 2015
Following a Jewish Carpenter
✟14,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
I agree. It sounds to me as if it is the Grandma who has the problem here.
When you dance before the Lord, my dear, think of her. Pray that God might open her heart before it is too late.
It is a very difficult thing, at our age (I am 64, and a great grandma) to try to "unlearn" what the church has taught us all of our lives. Be patient with her, and try to show her a loving spirit. Let her see Christ in you, to where she wants what you have...
God bless you, Warrior!!

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟686,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm so sorry about your grandma. I thought my eccentric grandma was bad, but it was pretty easy into thinking that you were a Christian (she'd just take it at face value, I think, but then she'd proceed to "inform" you of various end-times stuff :p).

Just pray for her and that she'll see what it really means to be a Christian. Evidently she's been brought up in some sort of legalistic mindset, and your two options are to either try and draw her out of it or just let her stay that way. I'd go with the former option, but be kind about it, I guess.

Upvote 0

4KidsMOM

Mar 25, 2015
USA
✟15,212.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm sorry to hear that your going through this. It hurts so much to go through this. I know from current experience. As a new believer you will be under attack. The devil is not happy about you new found faith in Jesus Christ. Revelation 12 describes how he is on earth persecuting God children. It hurts when he uses those we love and those who should be on our cheering team to hurt us. Please sister do not be discourage. Continue to seek the lord, continue to worship him. Do not hate your Grandmother but love her. Create boundaries if possible so you are not constantly being hurt. Then again continue to worship our creator and seek him all that you do. Speak to him and tell him about all your troubles. You know that song, "what a friend we have In Jesus" oh yes he will carry all our burdens and pains. He is always there when you need a friend. Keep strong in this battle sister. I ask God in Jesus name to Bless you with an extra portion of courage and peace.

Amen.

Upvote 0