Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are two "Missionary Baptist" groups that are mostly concentrated in Arkansas, East Texas, and North Louisiana and are predominantly white: The American Baptist Association and the Baptist Missionary Association of America. They are premillenial, many are King James-only, closed communion (only members of that local church can partake of the elements), and hold to a "Baptist Bride" mentality (only their type of Baptist churches are "true" churches according to Scripture).

• Informative
Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There are two "Missionary Baptist" groups that are mostly concentrated in Arkansas, East Texas, and North Louisiana and are predominantly white: The American Baptist Association and the Baptist Missionary Association of America. They are premillenial, many are King James-only, closed communion (only members of that local church can partake of the elements), and hold to a "Baptist Bride" mentality (only their type of Baptist churches are "true" churches according to Scripture).
Sounds like Landmark churches to me. They have spread from Kentucky to all over in the last two decades.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds like Landmark churches to me. They have spread from Kentucky to all over in the last two decades.

My thoughts exactly.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Stringfellow_Hawke

Jul 4, 2018
West Virginia
✟37,334.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is anyone here a Missionary Baptist or have had experiences with them?

In what ways do they differ from other Baptists (especially compared to Independent and Southern Baptists?)

I know they put an emphasis on missionary work, hence the name, and from what I have read, they believe in doing no work on Sundays, though I could be wrong about that.

What are their beliefs, how are they different from other Baptists, and what is their attitude like towards other Baptists and the rest of Christianity?

None at all really. I was raised in the Missionary Baptist church.

Upvote 0

Striver

"There is still hope."
Feb 27, 2004
South Carolina
✟24,794.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look, I have some limited experience with these groups in background and I read a book on the subject, so while I don't claim to be an expert at all, there are some things I've learned:

The term Missionary Baptist dates back to the 1800s as others have save regarding controversy on how church should work. It wasn't just about missions, but rather a clash of styles of church. You don't see as many uses of the term Missionary Baptist because that's essentially the winning side, but it's unfair to totally paint those who are Regular, Primitive, etc as totally against missions. Their way of doing church was suited to a different style of life that clashed with larger denominational trends.

Church in Appalachia (where this centered) is different from church in the south in approach. A good way to learn why and how is the book Appalachian Mountain Religion A History by Deborah Vansau McCauley. She's a little wordy at times, but she does a great job of tracing the lineage.

To very briefly summarize, most of these groups share certain features of worship in common. Footwashing, love feasts and revival culture are the primary things that we might notice at first glance. The Baptist revival tradition was very strong in Virginia and what was then the western part of Virginia (now WV). In addition to this, heavy piestic influences came from Anabaptist traditions as well as some early vestiges of revivalism borne out of Scotland, even prior to the Ulster revival.

This would, in effect, lead to a type of what we now call Charismatic or Pentecostal BUT it would not necessarily be the Asuza Street strand. Thus, you have a wide range of Calvinistic and Arminian beliefs that look very similar in praxis. Interesingly, aside from the Landmarks, a number of these churches will share pulpits with other theological persuasions and possess the same types of culture that can navigate one anothers' services. Revivals are key to the functioning of the church. Sometimes they're called "big meetings" or other terms.

To try and wrap up a lengthy post, key to understanding the dynamic is that the pastors are viewed as on equal footing as members. There are no seminaries and churches are generally quite small and locally-oriented. People in the community can come, but you're often talking about very small communities.

This clashed with larger denominations. The Methodists were coming out of their revivial stage in early America, as were the Baptists. This lead to them looking down upon mountain religion even though it looked a lot like how they used to be in earlier times.

Essential to understanding why this matters is the concept of "getting" religion. People of this tradition view preaching, dancing, and whatever other activities as something where the Holy Spirit figures prominently. Thus, he will guide people into church and put them ultimately where God wants them. This clashes by very nature since it's more of a grass roots push rather than a top-down system which most denominations were either developing or were used to at this point in time. It's overly simplistic to state that these churches just didn't want to field missions.

I'm reaching a little bit here perhaps, but you must understand in their view faith spreads more like a brush fire. Local people nearby would be touched who then go and start other churches down the road. It's almost a farm team system where new pastors and elders are apprenticed without some incorporated body being in charge.

The concept of missions to another area was an outside concept and not exactly on the radar. Whereas the larger denominations viewed the people as generally backwards, poor, ignorant and in need of a home missions movement to fix it all. The fire analogy here is that missionaries would go out and start their own little faith fires in diverse places beyond the horizon.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟758,929.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Currently I'm attending a church that is apart of the Amherstburg Regular Baptist Church Association and I believe they are considered "Missionary Baptists" but I honestly don't know...but I will ask. I know it was originally started as a black congregation and remains so but the preaching is very experimental, Calvinistic and orthodox.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

JohnJayH

Apr 26, 2022
new york
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I cannot go into the entire origins and breakaways of the Missionary Baptists, or any other denomination, and all the historical info is available on the internet as well as for the asking from any Missionary Baptist church. If one were to visit one,they would be more than happy to explain it to you.

That being said, the ones around here are predominantly all black, and are without a doubt, some of the most loving, caring and outright positive examples of Christ's Love and Light that I have ever encountered. And I am a whitey. They are very active in the community, and care not what color a person is. As they told me Jesus came to save souls not skins.
Point is they are some vert devout and very loving people who treat me like family

Upvote 0

PeterJames0510

Blessed more than I deserve
Jan 28, 2019
Lee
✟73,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's a missionary Baptist service, maybe this will help you understand the differences at least in worship. I believe this particular brand of Missionary Baptist are 'free will' Baptists, so they don't believe in eternal security.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As far as a denomination called "Missionary Baptist", other than the very small BMA based in Texas, there is none.
Churches that use that name generally fall into one of three groups:
1. In the Midwest and Upper Southern states, many took that name out of a very specific controversy in the early 1800s created by the teaching of an itinerant evangelist named Daniel Parker. Parker taught a strange doctrine called "Two-Seed-in-the-Spirit" which held that each person was born either of God's seed or Satan's seed and there was no way to move from one category to the other. Naturally, such a belief made evangelism and missions a moot point. So churches that rejected Parker's teachings took the Missionary name. (It is to be noted here that other "anti-mission" groups in that region, Primitive Baptists, ORB, etc. also thought Daniel Parker was a heretic.)
2. Parker's activity paralleled a larger debate over missions among the Baptists that held to Calvinistic doctrine, who questioned whether sending missionaries abroad would be presuming on God's election.
The churches who found no inherent contradiction in God's election and mission activity also assumed the Missionary descriptions. This would include the "Landmark Baptist/Baptist brider" denominations such as the American Baptist Association and the Baptist Missionary Assoc. of Texas. as well as pockets within the SBC and Independent Baptists.)
3. Black churches who, after the Civil War, fell into one of the above categories (which is pretty much all African American Baptist churches).

Upvote 0

RickardoHolmes

Aug 10, 2015
✟84,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been attending a Missionary Baptist church and I can say nothing but good things about it. I will point out that the church is predominantly black and I am predominantly white, but the people there do not care. Very loving people.
I prefer a Eucharist/Mass like what we have at the Episcopal church, but this congregation is much more open and extroverted than the Episcopal church.
SO far, good experiences

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0