worldwatcher

I want to meet you in heaven.
Oct 25, 2005
✟25,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure if I am posting this question in the right spot, but I need to know, what is the mark of the beast?...what does it mean? Someone once told me it is when you get a mark on your hand and wont be able to buy or sell anything in the last days. I find the book of revelations very hard to read. Can someone help me understand this?

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here is what we used to call "The Beast" back in our po' college days:

beast_heaven.jpg

Be on the lookout for anyone with this tattoo.

Upvote 0

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
worldwatcher said:
I am not sure if I am posting this question in the right spot, but I need to know, what is the mark of the beast?...what does it mean? Someone once told me it is when you get a mark on your hand and wont be able to buy or sell anything in the last days. I find the book of revelations very hard to read. Can someone help me understand this?

I think this would be better placed in Apolegetics, or Liberal Philosophy or somewhere else.

The Mark of the Beast is not anything we would know until it's too late, despite all those bad Cloud Ten flicks. You've also got the buying stuff bit backwards: in the end time, you'll need the mark to buy stuff. The mark of the beast (according to various interpretations), can represent Roman citizenship (or more fairly, ancient Roman patriotism), a microchip (uhh, yeah, right), or a literal tattoo of the number "666". When reading Revelation, don't just read it literally, John put a bunch of hidden meanings in there. One thing to think about is "Babylon=Rome". There are plenty of interpretations out there, and none have proven any more correct than the others, despite what half-crazed street preachers and (again) bad Cloud Ten flicks say. Though, interestingly, in the Greek and Hebrew alphabets, have number assigned to thier letters. The name of the Roman emporer at the time Revelation was written, when all the letters are added up (in Greek), come out to 666.

At any rate, try Wikipedia, or about.com, don't do generic websearches, you'll get a bunch of obviously false interpretations saying that Catholics/Jews/Muslims/Freemasons are working for the AntiChrist (and if you've had a hard time reading Revelation, don't let demonic lies like that get the better of you), or that the Mark of the Beast is the UPC on products you buy, or some other stupidity.

Here's a discussion on this subject from another site, this should cover things better. Christian Guitar Theology Forums

*Mutters to self, ignore the following* (why do people keep posting end times stuff in Philosophy? They need to make a separate section called "end times" in big letters... And why does every one say that revelations is hard to read? It's loaded with metaphors, imagery, and allegory, not stuff you interpret literally.)

Upvote 0

FSTDT

Yahweh
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟1,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
worldwatcher said:
"I cannot believe what I saw on the news last night*... there was an interview w/a CatholicParishoner... Full-face, on his forehead was a large black smudge... this mark bore no resemblance to a cross whatsoever. In my entire life, never had I seen this sight!

I chalked it up to just a real radical person. The last time I saw a smudge like that was on Charles Manson. Then, it showed the people coming out of the church a moment later. I sat and stared in total amazement...people walking out of that Catholic church had the same black smudge on their forehead!!! Right smack dab in the center!

I have never felt such a cold chill as that which enveloped me. I tingled all over in stunned amazement. I told my husband that I wondered if this was just the 'forerunner' [to the Mark of theBeast]? It made an huge impact on me, and it should have done so for the entire Christian population. I don't know why it was 'black' or why it was in the center of the forehead, but one thing I do know, it was a bone-chilling sight!

[* The above was posted a day or so after Ash Wednesday.]"

Smiley4554, Atlantis Rising Forums

Upvote 0

whitestar

Veteran
Aug 25, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟17,242.00
Faith
Christian
Abbadon said:
I think this would be better placed in Apolegetics, or Liberal Philosophy or somewhere else.

The Mark of the Beast is not anything we would know until it's too late, despite all those bad Cloud Ten flicks. You've also got the buying stuff bit backwards: in the end time, you'll need the mark to buy stuff. The mark of the beast (according to various interpretations), can represent Roman citizenship (or more fairly, ancient Roman patriotism), a microchip (uhh, yeah, right), or a literal tattoo of the number "666". When reading Revelation, don't just read it literally, John put a bunch of hidden meanings in there. One thing to think about is "Babylon=Rome". There are plenty of interpretations out there, and none have proven any more correct than the others, despite what half-crazed street preachers and (again) bad Cloud Ten flicks say. Though, interestingly, in the Greek and Hebrew alphabets, have number assigned to thier letters. The name of the Roman emporer at the time Revelation was written, when all the letters are added up (in Greek), come out to 666.

At any rate, try Wikipedia, or about.com, don't do generic websearches, you'll get a bunch of obviously false interpretations saying that Catholics/Jews/Muslims/Freemasons are working for the AntiChrist (and if you've had a hard time reading Revelation, don't let demonic lies like that get the better of you), or that the Mark of the Beast is the UPC on products you buy, or some other stupidity.

Here's a discussion on this subject from another site, this should cover things better. Christian Guitar Theology Forums

*Mutters to self, ignore the following* (why do people keep posting end times stuff in Philosophy? They need to make a separate section called "end times" in big letters... And why does every one say that revelations is hard to read? It's loaded with metaphors, imagery, and allegory, not stuff you interpret literally.)

Ha! I love your sig....and totally agree with your post too...:)

Especially the 'bad Cloud ten flicks comments'....ALL I have been seeing on here are brainwashed Cloud ten folks ....:( I was started to wonder if this wasn't the rapture ready board instead....:D

God bless
Whitestar

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums