Like it or Hate It?

Do you like or hate being a PK?

• Love it (I'm considering the ministry myself)

• Hate it (I'm considering atheism)

• Six of One, Half a Dozen of Another

Results are only viewable after voting.

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
It's always bugged me when people say, "She's the pastor's kid. She knows better."
hah, I've heard that a few times. I've also heard the "ask her she's the pastor's daughter, she should know". I always laugh at ppl who think being a PK means I have no personal & spiritual struggles of my own that I can't always handle.

aigiqinf said:
Classic line. Some people are just ignorant.

Well thank God for ignorant ppl cuz they sure do make everybody else like 20 times smarter than usual!

Upvote 0

Ivy

Pray for President Barack Obama
Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi fellow "Peeks" :wave: Just wanted to drop in and say hi quick....we just started our homeschool year, me and my kids, plus we just got a new puppy (8 week old Siberian Husky & boy is she cute--and a handful!) so there's been a crush of activity the last couple weeks. Hey, thanks for everyone taking part in the poll so far! A philosophical six-of-one crowd! ;):thumbsup: Howdy and a big hug to the kids here, too.:hug::kiss:

Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Doctoring hearts with the love of Jesus
Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi fellow "Peeks" :wave: Just wanted to drop in and say hi quick....we just started our homeschool year, me and my kids, plus we just got a new puppy (8 week old Siberian Husky & boy is she cute--and a handful!) so there's been a crush of activity the last couple weeks. Hey, thanks for everyone taking part in the poll so far! A philosophical six-of-one crowd! ;):thumbsup: Howdy and a big hug to the kids here, too.:hug::kiss:

Hi Ivy :wave:

Oh my, it sounds like you have had your hands full recently! I pray that this homeschooling year goes well for you and your kids. I'm sure it will though! :)

I think you should post a picture of your Husky in the Pets Gallery section of this site when you can. I'd love to see a picture of her myself. ;)

Take care of you! God bless!

Lots of love to the rest of you PK'ers too! :hug:

Upvote 0

JesusFreakForEternity

It's amazing how You can speak right to my heart
Apr 13, 2006
Bath, England
Visit site
✟8,548.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well I'm about to become a PK... my dads gonna be starting soon. I can't wait! He's spent the last 20 years or so as a school teacher, and then a head teacher, and recently he's found that God is calling him to this type of ministry, so it's been a really exciting time for us all. In the last year or so, its been greart to see how God's been guiding my dad and showing him its the right thing to do, when he has a great job, we had a pretty stable family life, nothing really needed to change... but God showed us all so clearly through what people at church said, God speaking to dad personally, through how my siblings and I felt about the idea, that this is what He wants. So I'm pretty excited, although i'm sure I'll soon figure out the downsides to it. I get asked a lot about it at school, because there was an article in the local newspaper about my dad, and he's pretty well known in my city! And I'm already known as a bit of a weirdo / Jesus-Freak at school, so there will be nothing new there!

Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hi JesusFreak :wave:

It sounds like you and your family are very close and that is extremely encouraging! Keep that positive outlook and attitude always, and everything will be ok. It is a great calling by God to be in the ministry and I'm sure that your dad will continue to touch lives. Being a PK is a calling (although unchosen) of its own! What a blessing that is! England needs more spirit filled believers like you and your family as witnesses for the Lord so keep it up, and never waiver from the Lord's grace, love and mercy in your life. :prayer: God bless all of you.

Well I'm about to become a PK... my dads gonna be starting soon. I can't wait! He's spent the last 20 years or so as a school teacher, and then a head teacher, and recently he's found that God is calling him to this type of ministry, so it's been a really exciting time for us all. In the last year or so, its been greart to see how God's been guiding my dad and showing him its the right thing to do, when he has a great job, we had a pretty stable family life, nothing really needed to change... but God showed us all so clearly through what people at church said, God speaking to dad personally, through how my siblings and I felt about the idea, that this is what He wants. So I'm pretty excited, although i'm sure I'll soon figure out the downsides to it. I get asked a lot about it at school, because there was an article in the local newspaper about my dad, and he's pretty well known in my city! And I'm already known as a bit of a weirdo / Jesus-Freak at school, so there will be nothing new there!

Upvote 0

angelstears

In God's Arms...
Sep 17, 2006
Waikato
✟15,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok well for me, my dad used to be a pastor, until a yr n a half ago. before i became a christian, around 3 yrs ago, i hated it, but after that i actually came to like it. my dad cud help me n stuff.... i actually miss it now. wish he was still a pastor, hes now a funeral director but yeah... i miss it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

swingnscream

more music - dance our troubles away
Jan 25, 2004
I roll with the foxes and hunt with the hounds
✟11,702.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Ok well for me, my dad used to be a pastor, until a yr n a half ago. before i became a christian, around 3 yrs ago, i hated it, but after that i actually came to like it. my dad cud help me n stuff.... i actually miss it now. wish he was still a pastor, hes now a funeral director but yeah... i miss it.
I think that pretty much sums it up: like it, hate it, miss it. It's always a combonation if you've been a PK long enough, and I think that's a healthy additude to have.

Upvote 0

Eagle_Wings

Just Your Ordinary Average Everyday Sane Psycho.
Nov 18, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
lol...I was just thinking, if my brother were to answer this he would probably give a totally different answer then mine, interesting how the same situation has a different effect on people.

I'd have to say it's a little of both for me. I was homeschooled practically all my life, so I didn't have to deal with trying to fit into a new school everytime we moved...but all that moving did cut down on the friends aspect! It also seemed like we always had churches that don't have anyone else there my age! My parents worked really hard to make sure that we weren't judged or criticized by the congregation, but I did have to deal with the backstabbing of my folks, or the downright ingratitude of others. My personality trait is that of prophet- right is right, wrong is wrong- nothing in between- so I tend to be quite judgemental and also find it difficult to watch the people in the church and not see any growth or change in them at all.

I'd have to say overall, it's been a good experience. Looking back over my life I can see where we've always had good churches, the ministry was a family affair- which will be kinda difficult when I move to Denver on my own in the Spring, God was always good at preparing the family when it was time to move. Always seemed like my parents would let me know we were moving again just when I was feeling up for another adventure---if only the adventures didn't include unpacking, I don't mind packing so much, it's all the unpacking that really sucks! ;)

I will say that we were in a place for 3 years that I did feel the way that alot of you seem to feel, I hated it and grew very bitter during that time. My heart hurts for those of you in that situation and I'm so sorry you've had those experiences!

Upvote 0

Locket

Speak softly and carry a BIG STICK
Oct 23, 2004
In the Milky Way Galaxy
✟51,839.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
*hesitates* Well...

I love the fact that I know everyone and everyone knows me.

Thankfully my church has picked the angel over the demon stereotype for me, so I'm the beloved goody two-shoes.

I always know what's going on, many times way before my friends.

I know the words to every song we sing.

I feel very comfortable and much more confident than I would elsewhere, so I can stretch my personality into being more friendly and brave to meet new people.

HOWEVER

My Dad is often very busy. Not only does he have his regular pastorial duties, but he does work for various state events (ex: he's in charge of Bible Quiz for our state), and since we live the closest to the church he's always the one dragged out there when the alarm goes off (never mind if it's two in the morning).

I'm expected to know everything. Granted, part of it is my fault because I speak up when I can offer some knowledge.

I'm supposed to be super-spiritual. People, I'm a quiet little thing. I don't dance in church, I don't holler, I don't even like to sing out loud because I hate my voice. I didn't want to get baptized for the longest time because I didn't like the idea of being teh center of attention.

I'm at church all the time. I know this sounds horrible, but it's how I feel sometimes. We have three morning services, all of which I'm at (working in nursery during the third), one on Sunday night and one on Wednesday night. I can only stay home if I'm flat on my back with a headache or extremely contagious (or puking). And when for some reason I get a reprieve (say a music night), I feel guilty for even thinking of not going.

And finally, when there's anything extra at church, others looked shocked and appalled when I say I'm not going. I'd rather read a book than go to a concert. I don't have $500 for some uplifting youth ministry trip. I'm a homebody. I'm not gregarious. Many of the events at church don't interest me in the least. Funny thing is, many people have not learned that guilt trips have the opposite effect on me :D

Upvote 0

Ivy

Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's funny how I miss the smell of pews--and candles--I miss wearing a choir robe, isn't that funny? (don't go to a traditional-style church as you can see) And call me crazy, I liked potlucks (except for the green bean stuff, of course). :sick:

Upvote 0

Dr. Holly

Nov 15, 2004
Virginia
✟12,535.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It's funny how I miss the smell of pews--and candles--I miss wearing a choir robe, isn't that funny? (don't go to a traditional-style church as you can see) And call me crazy, I liked potlucks (except for the green bean stuff, of course). :sick:

It is funny how that happens, isn't it? Scientists have proven that sense of smell is the strongest memory trigger too so that probably has a lot to do with it. I believe that we tend to remember the better times and events the most, and occassionally reflect on the bad times too. That's only human nature afterall.

Whether or not I enjoyed the potlucks depended on which church I was at during that time frame. My dad had one church where there was a Japenese family and they would make real Japenese food that was unbelievably delicious! So I do remember those potlucks above the rest of course! ;) There was also another lady in a different church that made a pie to die for. Sheesh, I'm getting hungry thinking about this stuff.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ivy

Oct 26, 2005
NY State
✟17,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, me too! Hungreeeee!

I have a vivid memory of a potluck when I was about 5 or 6. They had a special dessert table where everything was cut up and put on little plates......now that's a sight a little girl likes to see, esp. desserts with cherries!!!!! :) I was sneaky that time, I took two.

Upvote 0

Randi

Jun 13, 2005
✟2,018.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
One thing I thought was hilarious...

I was sitting outside the church building last Sunday. Several of the little girls were playing and I was keeping an eye on them. One of the little ones started heading toward the road. I told her to come back. She said "no" and kept going.
Her older sister (who is 5) ran up and grabbed her arm and said, "You HAVE to obey her...Her daddy's God!"

Haha...then I had to explain that my dad actually isn't God. Such fun. : )

I love being a PK most of the time, but it can be stressful.

Upvote 0

Pattyannee

Aug 9, 2004
Visit site
✟15,270.00
Faith
Christian
I hated it but only because I knew we never lived up to being the Pastor's family. There was always trying to be perfect at church, and being normal at home.
Now i'm older I realize I put to much expectation on myself as a PK. I expected myself to do everything right, but I was human as the next kid.

Upvote 0