• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Just diagnosed - a couple of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rut

All creation points to the almighty Creator.
Oct 31, 2005
Norway
✟64,460.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I have used Metformin for some years now.For me wasn`t hard side effects.This medication is that most frienly for us diabetic.nearly no side effect.That you can get is gas in your stomack (I got that) but if you take the tablets in the middle of the meal it can help you some.

Here is a link that you can get more information about this medication http://www.drugs.com/metformin.html

Try to find some diabetes organization in your country.You can get much help from them.You can try to get newsletter from American Association Diabets (I get that every week) you can even try this one http://www.globalnews.idf.org/2005/04/new_nutrition_g.html
I read this sometimes

Upvote 0

jsimms615

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
✟143,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
DharmaBum said:
Hello all,

I was just diagnosed with type II yesterday. The doctor is putting me on Metformin. Any one ever used that?

Also, can anyone recommend any good web resources for diabetes info and diet?

Thanks in advance.

With loving-kindness,
D.
Hello. I was diagnosed about 5 1/2 years ago and have been on metaformin since then. It doesn't dramatically lower your sugar like some meds do, but is a very popular medicine and widely used. There are many good web site with info about diabetes. You could try webmd.com or diabetes.org to start with. Make sure you eat when taking your metaformin since it can upset your stomach.

Upvote 0

notreligus

Site Supporter
Jun 19, 2006
✟97,792.00
Faith
Non-Denom
DharmaBum said:
Hello all,

I was just diagnosed with type II yesterday. The doctor is putting me on Metformin. Any one ever used that?

Also, can anyone recommend any good web resources for diabetes info and diet?

Thanks in advance.

With loving-kindness,
D.
I've been on Metformin for nearly three years and it helps me keep my blood glucose levels under control. The Metformin alone won't do it. If you don't eat properly you will wreck your beta cells that you have remaining in your pancreas and then you will have to use insulin. Save your pancreas' remaining ability to produce some insulin. The general rule of thumb is to avoid all foods white: sugar, white bread, and potatoes, as examples. "If it's white, it should cause a fright." That may sound corny, but remember it and it will help you to control your diabetes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.