Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Who is your favourite film director and if you had to choose a particular 'theme' or style a film or series of films were shot in, what would be your favourites?

Oh man that's a tough one.

I think my favorite director would have to be Christopher Nolan, and not just because the films themselves are incredible, but because he's such a purist with his craft. He refuses to transition to digital formats, he insists on using 35 and 70mm film stock - which is amazing. There's nuance and romance to film stock that can't be beaten. He even forbids cell phones on set, and doesn't even own one himself. I really admire his love and respect for the art of filmmaking.

I've also really come to love Denis Villeneuve. I haven't seen Blade Runner 2049 yet, but I've heard great things. Sicario is what really attracted my attention to Villeneuve's style, and then I saw Prisoners which is equally incredible. He, like Nolan, has a very crisp and simplistic narrative approach that tends to steer away from productions that rely heavily on effects and computer generated imagery (although obviously Blade Runner contradicts that).

FWIW, I really want to emulate the cinematic aesthetics of Wally Pfister, he's done a lot of work with Nolan until Nolan started partnering with Hoyte Van Hoytema for Interstellar. That switch was only because Pfister had another commitment when Nolan was getting ready to direct the film, but Hoytema and Pfister both have similar visual styles.

Overall I like 'dark' films, like neo-noir and thrillers. Concepts that are character driven and take deep dives into the darkness of humanity. I like antiheroes, characters who have good intentions but struggle against baser instincts. I think what perfectly captures this is the 2011 film Drive. To me that's almost a perfect film (directed by Nicolas Winding Refn).

Visually it follows a noir formula, a lot of dramatic lighting and shadow play. Narratively you have a character who, while trying to do the right thing, cannot seem to escape his own violent nature. I like the kind of "old school" convention that the main character doesn't have a name and actually has very few lines. It forces the ensemble of the cast to kind of carry the film equally, along with compelling visuals and tense themes peppered throughout.

• Agree
Reactions: High Fidelity
Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟911,831.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

I loved this movie. It's one of those films where the music and film blend to communicate the tone perfectly. The tension at some points is simply incredible.

I like Nolan, too. Interstellar is one of my favourite films and especially so with the soundtrack. Nolan and Hans Zimmer really work well together and the same is true with the Batman films. The Batman films really feel like a journey.

There's a TV series I believe is called 19-2 and there's a scene that's a single shoot and lasts 13 minutes. It's a scene of police in an active shooter scenario in a school shooting. It's incredible.

Reactions: Gnarwhal
Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟439,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I loved this movie. It's one of those films where the music and film blend to communicate the tone perfectly. The tension at some points is simply incredible.

Exactly. It's this perfect synergy of writing, acting, cinematography, and scoring. Some of the creative choices almost blur the line between narrative and documentary. I'll be curious to see how Soldado turns out, since Villeneuve isn't attached to that production at all.

I like Nolan, too. Interstellar is one of my favourite films and especially so with the soundtrack. Nolan and Hans Zimmer really work well together and the same is true with the Batman films. The Batman films really feel like a journey.

I agree, their pairing is a lot like Spielberg and Williams. I just watched Interstellar again last night, and Zimmer's incorporation of a pipe organ was a stroke of genius, the way it crescendos at some of the key moments really draws in the viewer. I still struggle to wrap my head around the physics that are at the heart of the story, which I think is a feather in Nolan's cap for making such a strong effort to make the content accurate.

There's a TV series I believe is called 19-2 and there's a scene that's a single shoot and lasts 13 minutes. It's a scene of police in an active shooter scenario in a school shooting. It's incredible.

No kidding? That sounds incredible. Is that a British show? I'd like to see that scene, at least. Whenever I think of continuous shots I think of Children Of Men or the opening to Spectre. Both of which executed those very well.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟911,831.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
No kidding? That sounds incredible. Is that a British show? I'd like to see that scene, at least.

Canadian. It's available on Amazon Video if you have Prime. It's also on YouTube if you search for 19-2 long scene.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟439,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Canadian. It's available on Amazon Video if you have Prime. It's also on YouTube if you search for 19-2 long scene.

Awesome! I'll check it out!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Travelers.Soul

Traveler; Dreamer; Warrior; Coffee lover
Aug 15, 2010
Land of the Horse
✟132,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yap. Fenwick's doing an AMA.

Okay, so the truth is I did one like 5+ years ago but I can't find it so... here we are.

Fire away ladies and gents.
7dd6e96e6508fb43b1564d8a9964c19d7bf1eba07fc98e3c0c099b999ce5040f.jpg

Upvote 0