Is this the hardest teaching of Jesus as it relates to Salvation?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟109,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

I know it is hard to hear ( it is the hardest teaching of Jesus IMHO) that man has a complete inability to come. It does grate as it were against one's own view of self-determination and highly valued self-autonomy.

We see in John 6 Jesus says it twice and it does not go over very well.

Joh 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Then again:

Joh 6:65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.

The universal inability of man to come to Christ requires the active intervention of God on behalf of man.. so, he told them twice.... it finally sank in.

They (many) did not like that, so they leave Him.

Thoughts?

In Him,

Bill
I know it is hard to hear ( it is the hardest teaching of Jesus IMHO) that man has a complete inability to come. It does grate as it were against one's own view of self-determination and highly valued self-autonomy.

well said and it is from here where we should start to follow on to know ....

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In the next verse we see that the Father draws to Jesus the faithful Jews who had heard and learned from the Father. This is collaborated in John 5:47-49 where Jesus tells the Jewish leaders that they don't believe what he says because they don't believe Moses.. Those who learned from the Father will of course believe Moses.

John 6:45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. NKJV​
Post-Calvary, when we are under the New Covenant, Jesus draws all people to himself.
John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.
The Greek word there is pantas (all), which signifies the totality of the persons or things referred to and, in the light of the rest of the NT, what is referred to there is the elect.
Based upon John 6:44-45 and John 5:47-49, the Father draws those who are in right relationship with the Father.
I don't have a Jn 5:48-49 in my Bible.
Jn 5:47 - "SInce you do not believe what he (Moses) wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"
If they cannot believe the word of God from Moses, they also cannot believe the word of God from Jesus (because they are not the elect).

Jn 6:44-45 - "No one can come to me unless the Father draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets, 'They will all be taught by God' (Isa 54:13). Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me."
And no one listens to and learns from the Father who is not born again by the sovereign and unaccountable will of the Holy Spirit (Jn 3:3-8), for all are spiritually dead, blind, deaf and lame.
God grants who He draws. The Bible does not teach that people can only come to Christ through some special intervention of God prior to faith - which Calvinists term "Irresistible Grace". Notice the pattern of Ephesians 1:13: It’s hears, believes and sealed, not sealed, listens and believes.
Ephesians 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. NIV​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟138,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In the next verse we see that the Father draws to Jesus the faithful Jews who had heard and learned from the Father. This is collaborated in John 5:47-49 (errata: should have been John 5:45-47) where Jesus tells the Jewish leaders that they don't believe what he says because they don't believe Moses.. Those who learned from the Father will of course believe Moses.

John 6:45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. NKJV​

Post-Calvary, when we are under the New Covenant, Jesus draws all people to himself.

John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.​
The Greek word there is pantas (all), which signifies the totality of the persons or things referred to and, in the light of the rest of the NT, what is referred to there is the elect.
“Election” deals with God’s choices. For instance, the Bible refers to an election of:
  • Christ (Isaiah 42:1; Luke 9:35; 1 Peter 2:6)
  • National Israel (Deuteronomy 7:6; Isaiah 45:4)
  • Jerusalem (1 Kings 11:13)
  • Disciples (John 13:18; John 15:16)
  • Christians (Ephesians 1:1-3; 2 Thessalonians 2:13-14)
All of the major English translations in John 12:32 use "all people", "all men", or "everyone". In light of Revelation 22:19, you shouldn't play fast and loose with God's word by inserting your presuppositions.
Jn 5:47 - "SInce you do not believe what he (Moses) wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"
If they cannot believe the word of God from Moses, they also cannot believe the word of God from Jesus (because they are not the elect).
If God is controlling our faith through election, then why in the Gospel's did Jesus marvel at some for unbelief and other's for great faith? No our faith is not strictly up to God as it comes by hearing God's word and we all choose what we listen to (Romans 10:17).

Below is an earlier example of a suggestion to change Romans 5:18 to conform to your Calvinist presuppositions. You want to change the meaning of two uses of "all men" in the same verse - so that each use refers to a set of people that excludes each other.
My suggestion is not about the phrase but about the two Adam's to which the phrase refers; i.e., "all men" in Adam and "all men" in Christ in Ro 5:18-19.
Jn 6:44-45 - "No one can come to me unless the Father draws him, and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the Prophets, 'They will all be taught by God' (Isa 54:13). Everyone who listens to the Father and learns from him comes to me."
And no one listens to and learns from the Father who is not born again by the sovereign and unaccountable will of the Holy Spirit (Jn 3:3-8), for all are spiritually dead, blind, deaf and lame.
God is not unaccountable - we can take Him at His word. We went over John 3:3-8 in Posts 14-22 on this thread - so I don't want to rehash. John 3:3-8 does not clearly teach that one must be born-again in order to believe - that requires a peculiar interpretation of that passage that about 90% of Christendom rejects.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
“Election” deals with God’s choices. For instance, the Bible refers to an election of:
  • Christ (Isaiah 42:1; Luke 9:35; 1st Peter 2:6)
  • Christians (Ephesians 1:1-3; 2nd Thessalonians 2:13-14)
All of the major English translations in John 12:32 use "all people", "all men", or "everyone". In light of Revelation 22:19, you shouldn't play fast and loose with God's word by inserting your presuppositions.
Which does not alter the fact that it refers to the totality of the specific people, men, everyone referred to and, in the light of the rest of the NT, what is referred to there is the elect.
If God is controlling our faith through election, then why in the Gospel's did Jesus marvel at some for unbelief and other's for great faith?
Do you not marvel at your own faith, at being able to believe what you were not able to believe before? I sure do!
No faith comes by hearing God's word and we all choose what we listen to (Romans 10:17).
And is not the choice made according to the disposition God has or has not worked within the individual (Php 2:13, Jn 6:37), without which work of God no unregenerate one would/could come (Ro 8:7-8)?

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
All of the major English translations in John 12:32 use "all people", "all men", or "everyone".
Which does not alter the fact that in the Greek, pantas (all) means the totality of the persons or things referred to and, in the light of the rest of the NT, what is referred to there is the elect.
In light of Revelation 22:19, you shouldn't play fast and loose with God's word by inserting your presuppositions.

If God is controlling our faith through election, then why in the Gospel's did Jesus marvel at some for unbelief and other's for great faith?
Do you not marvel at your faith? I do. . .that I now am able believe what I was unable to believe before.
No faith comes by hearing God's word and we all choose what we listen to (Romans 10:17).
And it is God's work in the disposition that gives us to choose what we listen to (Php 2:13, Jn 6:37).

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟138,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Which does not alter the fact that it refers to the totality of the specific people, men, everyone referred to and, in the light of the rest of the NT, what is referred to there is the elect.
None of this word salad appeals to reason or scripture.
Do you not marvel at your own faith, at being able to believe what you were not able to believe before? I sure do!
You are not Jesus. Jesus marveled at the contrast of faith and unbelief that He encountered. It would make no sense for Him to do so if everything was scripted from eternity past by God as the WCF proclaims. And if everything was scripted, then why didn't Jesus clearly allude to that? Jesus's astonishment was to encourage certain choice behaviour - like choose to believe!
And is not the choice made according to the disposition God has or has not worked within the individual (Php 2:13, Jn 6:37), without which work of God no unregenerate one would/could come (Ro 8:7-8)?
Where is the scriptural argument that God disposes some to salvation and others to reprobation? Have you considered the possibility that predestination applies to a class of people (believers - those that can be said to be In Him) as opposed to some Totally Depraved individuals who fortunately for them happen to be "elect" even though they did not exist before what Calvin attributes to be a decree before the foundation of the world?

God desires that everyone be saved (! Timothy 2:4). However, God doesn’t want all to be saved irresistibly, but rather He wants all to be saved freely, which He accomplishes through a well-meant offer of the gospel.

Calvinism portrays God as having decreed whatsoever comes to pass which makes Him the author of all sin. If God decrees all that comes to pass which includes your sin, - then God is the cause as you cannot do otherwise. Calvin even claims God governs your mental faculties (i.e. your will), so how under that system can anyone be held responsible for what they want to do? Calvinism has God creating most people eternally tormented and separated from His love that He never had for them, in order to use them for the purpose of selfishly receiving glory and becoming an object lessons of the divine attribute of wrath.

The Bible (not Calvin) shows God leaves some decisions to us as Jesus loved the "rich young ruler" who rejected Jesus (Matthew 10:17-27). The way that Jesus explained why some rejected salvation (John 3:18-21) has nothing to do with the puppetry that Calvin asserts;

“We hold that God is the disposer and ruler of all things, –that from the remotest eternity, according to his own wisdom, He decreed what he was to do, and now by his power executes what he decreed. Hence we maintain, that by His providence, not heaven and earth and inanimate creatures only, but also the counsels and wills of men are so governed as to move exactly in the course which he has destined.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 1, Chapter 16, Paragraph 8)​
“…individuals are born, who are doomed from the womb to certain death, and are to glorify him by their destruction.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 6)​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The point is not about reason or Scripture, it's about the meaning of the Greek language.

And Scripture is "word salad" to you because you ignore God's answer to your question.
You are not Jesus. Jesus marveled at the contrast of faith and unbelief that he encountered. It would make no sense for Him to do so if everything was scripted from eternity past as the WCF proclaims. And if everything was scripted, then why didn't Jesus clearly allude to that?
God desires that everyone be saved (! Timothy 2:4).
And God chooses some (but not all) to be saved (1 Pe 1:2).

You don't believe the potter has the right to do with the same lump of clay as he pleases (Ro 9:21).

The gospel call goes to all. God would have all men to be saved, but justice must be observed, honored and glorified.
Therefore, some are elected to glorify his mercy, while others are left to glorify his justice.

And no injustice is done thereby, for God didn't make this mess, Adam did.
And God does not owe it to his enemies (Ro 5:10) to clean it up.
God owes mercy to no one. He is free to take this lost hopeless mess and work it around to serve his own purposes, which he has done in his will to redeem some and not others.

"God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens (leaves in condemnation) whom he wants to harden."
"Then why does he still blame us, for who can overcome God?"
But who are you, O man, to talk back to God?
"Shall what is formed say to him who formed it, 'Why did you make me like this?' (Isa 29:16, 49:9)."
Does not the potter have the right to do with the same lump of clay as he pleases, to make some of it into vessels for noble purposes and some of it into vessels for ignoble use (human waste)? (Ro 9:21)

What if God choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--who prepared themselves for destruction? What if he did this to make the riches of his goodness known to the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory; i.e., even us, whom he also called?" (Ro 9:22-24).

That is God's answer to your objection. . .to which answer of God you likewise object.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟111,733.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The gospel call goes to all. God would have all men to be saved,
It has been said, Grace and Election are on the same side of a coin with a "fill in the blank" on the other side. What is viewed as grace in time is viewed as election from the perspective of eternity. To preach grace alone is to preach election.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟138,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Which does not alter the fact that in the Greek, pantas (all) means the totality of the persons or things referred to and, in the light of the rest of the NT, what is referred to there is the elect.
The point is not about reason or Scripture, it's about the meaning of the Greek language.

And Scripture is "word salad" to you because you ignore God's answer to your question.
Twisting God's word to support your presuppositions is never the answer. There are 90 uses of the greek word "pantas" in the NT and they are consistently translated in English to some variant of all or everyone Greek Concordance: πάντας (pantas) -- 90 Occurrences None of the major English translations agree with you and Jesus knew what He was saying.

Calvinists commonly twist scripture. There are many NT passages that reference terms translated as "world", "everyone", "all men", "all people", and "all" which mean "all people without exception" in regards to God's universal love and provision for mankind. However, Calvin did not accept that God who is love magnanimously provides for all people, and as a result Calvinists conduct a widespread rejection that those terms mean "all people without exception". I provide examples below. In some of these passages where something like "all men" is used multiple times, Calvinists cling to an "all men without exception" for the first use, but not in subsequent uses (See 1 Timothy 2:1-6, 1 Corinthians 15:22, Romans 11:32, and Romans 5:18) - no reuse of the same word in proximity implies the same meaning..
  1. 1 Timothy 4:10 God is the Savior of all people, and especially of those who believe.
  2. 1 Timothy 2:1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. 5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, 6 who gave himself as a ransom for all people. This has now been witnessed to at the proper time.
  3. 1 John 2:2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
  4. John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
  5. 2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
  6. John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”
  7. 1 Corinthians 15:21 For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. 22 For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive.
  8. Romans 11:32 For God has bound everyone over to disobedience so that he may have mercy on them all.
  9. Romans 5:18 Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people.
  10. Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people.,
  11. Hebrews 2:9 But we do see Jesus, who was made lower than the angels for a little while, now crowned with glory and honor because he suffered death, so that by the grace of God he might taste death for everyone.
The gospel call goes to all. God would have all men to be saved, but justice must be observed, honored and glorified.
Therefore, some are elected to glorify his mercy, while others are left to glorify his justice.
This shows God preferring some, but leaving others to a horrific fate like the passer-by Pharisee in the parable of the Good Samaritan. Per Calvin and the WCF, everyone (saved & damned) does exactly what God decreed they do - as they could not do otherwise - and yet their eternal destiny could not be more different. Does Calvin present a just God where people are constrained to act exactly as scripted and yet judged by the content of that script? If not, the problem is with Calvin. God is not glorified by injustice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟284,645.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Twisting God's word to support your presuppositions is never the answer. There are 90 uses of the greek word "pantas" in the NT and they are consistently translated in English to some variant of all or everyone Greek Concordance: πάντας (pantas) -- 90 Occurrences
None of the major English translations agree with you and Jesus knew what He was saying.
Nor do they disagree, because we don't have that meaning for "all" in the English language, among many other things which the Greek language has that the English does not and, therefore, cannot be translated exactly into the English.
That's why Bible students consult the Greek text, to get the true meaning in Greek.
And that is the true meaning of "all" in the Greek where pantas is used.
Calvinists commonly twist scripture.
As previously stated, I don't defend "Calvinism," or any other "ism," only "Paulism."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟24,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good day,

We see in John 6 Jesus says it twice and it does not go over very well.

Joh 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Then again:

Joh 6:65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.

The universal inability of man to come to Christ requires the active intervention of God on behalf of man.. so, he told them twice.... it finally sank in.

They (many) did not like that, so they leave Him.

Thoughts?

In Him,

Bill
I see it as a relief.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟138,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I see it as a relief.
How so? Please elaborate,

Note that @BBAS 64 is a Calvinist. When I became a believer, I had struggles and was offered Calvinism by a good friend as being a relief. I respectfully rejected it because his scriptural argument was weak. Scripture does not teach Calvinism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom

Note that @BBAS 64 is a Calvinist. When I became a believer, I had struggles and was offered Calvinism by a good friend as being a relief. I respectfully rejected it because his scriptural argument was weak. Scripture does not teach Calvinism (1 Timothy 4:1).
Scripture is not a theological treatise which teaches Calvinism, Lutheranism, Arminianism, Molinism, Augustinianism, Catholicism, Eastern Orthodoxy, etc., etc., etc. Many would turn the Bible into a neat, tidy theological handbook. It would make life so much simpler for folks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟24,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Note that @BBAS 64 is a Calvinist. When I became a believer, I had struggles and was offered Calvinism by a good friend as being a relief. I respectfully rejected it because his scriptural argument was weak. Scripture does not teach Calvinism.
I think there's a natural principle here. It's common for people to compare other people with animals. And the bible does it as well. In the bible, the enemies of God tend to be compared to aggressive predator animals. God's children are compared to passive sheep, and converts are compared to fish. (I know there are exceptions to this rule).

Fish never have the intention of being caught. And when fish are placed in a fishbowl as pets, their life depends completely on an outside agent feeding them, by placing food into their created environment. Otherwise they would die.

The bible gives us a revelation that man cannot come to God without His intervening. We've also been given the revelation that man's rejection of God is without excuse. As best as my limited human mind can comprehend, this means that man also has a choice. The bible doesn't seem to address the paradox. We generally get explanations of that from commentaries. I think the authors of the inspired Word of God explained salvation the best way they could in their understanding of time, and it is completely sufficient. When it comes to time, we all have to deal with paradoxes, including non-believers. There's evidence that time travel into the past is scientifically possible, but we have no idea what would happen if one prevented their birth if they did. There are mysteries only God knows, or will be cleared up for believers in God's Kingdom.

The relief is that I don't think I can trust myself alone when it comes to salvation. Without God's complete supervision, we're completely vulnerable hopeless prey to Satan. Unless God sends His hook down for us to bite, we're open prey to sharks.

Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟138,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I think there's a natural principle here. It's common for people to compare other people with animals. And the bible does it as well. In the bible, the enemies of God tend to be compared to aggressive predator animals. God's children are compared to passive sheep, and converts are compared to fish. (I know there are exceptions to this rule).

Fish never have the intention of being caught. And when fish are placed in a fishbowl as pets, their life depends completely on an outside agent feeding them, by placing food into their created environment. Otherwise they would die.

The bible gives us a revelation that man cannot come to God without His intervening. We've also been given the revelation that man's rejection of God is without excuse. As best as my limited human mind can comprehend, this means that man also has a choice. The bible doesn't seem to address the paradox. We generally get explanations of that from commentaries. I think the authors of the inspired Word of God explained salvation the best way they could in their understanding of time, and it is completely sufficient. When it comes to time, we all have to deal with paradoxes, including non-believers. There's evidence that time travel into the past is scientifically possible, but we have no idea what would happen if one prevented their birth if they did. There are mysteries only God knows, or will be cleared up for believers in God's Kingdom.
Good response. God's drawing is necessary (John 12:32), but not irresistible as Stephen states that people commonly resist the Holy Spirit in Acts 7:51.
The relief is that I don't think I can trust myself alone when it comes to salvation. Without God's complete supervision, we're completely vulnerable hopeless prey to Satan. Unless God sends His hook down for us to bite, we're open prey to sharks.
I agree that Satan is our enemy per 2 Corinthians 4:3-4, but God desires that we be saved (1 TImothy 2:4). God will not make us do what He commands us to do.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Good response. God's drawing is necessary (John 12:32), but not irresistible as Stephen states that people commonly resist the Holy Spirit in Acts 7:51.

I agree that Satan is our enemy per 2 Corinthians 4:3-4, but God desires that we be saved (1 TImothy 2:4). God will not make us do what He commands us to do.
That leaves God in the tenuous position of being either incapable or unwilling to act out His will.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟138,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That leaves God in the tenuous position of being either incapable or unwilling to act out His will.
In Calvinism, if God really wants something, then proof of what He wants is found in what He gets. If God really wants a certain thing, then He gets a certain thing. However, as a non-Calvinist, I believe that Jesus sincerely desires everyone to come to know Him, but just because I don’t believe that He forces His love on to everyone, doesn’t mean that I question His sincerity. I believe that God wants everyone to be saved freely. Nevertheless, Calvinists assume their own premise, as a fact, in order to reach a Calvinistic conclusion. In order to avoid Circular Logic, Calvinists should first attempt to prove that God always gets what He wants, rather than just assuming it.

Non-Calvinists argue from Ezekiel 18:23 and Matthew 6:10 that God Himself testifies that His will is not presently being done on earth, as it is in Heaven, though one day it will.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟376,738.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In Calvinism, if God really wants something, then proof of what He wants is found in what He gets. If God really wants a certain thing, then He gets a certain thing. However, as a non-Calvinist, I believe that Jesus sincerely desires everyone to come to know Him, but just because I don’t believe that He forces His love on to everyone, doesn’t mean that I question His sincerity. I believe that God wants everyone to be saved freely. Nevertheless, Calvinists assume their own premise, as a fact, in order to reach a Calvinistic conclusion. In order to avoid Circular Logic, Calvinists should first attempt to prove that God always gets what He wants, rather than just assuming it.

Non-Calvinists argue from Ezekiel 18:23 and Matthew 6:10 that God Himself testifies that His will is not presently being done on earth, as it is in Heaven, though one day it will.
I think I understand your position. In essence, God is not incapable of doing anything, but He is unwilling to intrude into the realm of the human will. Is that (more or less) correct?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: John Mullally
Upvote 0

Roderick Spode

Nov 12, 2019
Silicon Valley
✟24,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

There's no question that people resist the Holy Spirit. I still think there's a mystery involved that makes it tough to square away one position over the other.

In Paul's conversion, there wasn't much room to resist. So much so that it could be argued he didn't really have any choice. The thing about Paul though, was that he was extremely zealous. And he was either going to be completely zealous for God, or zealous for the extreme opposite by persecuting the children of God. No in between. The latter position, which is what he was in, was one of not being able to listen to reason from any believer. And it would appear that a forceful conversion directly from God was the only way to bring him to Christ.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟138,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
There's no question that people resist the Holy Spirit. I still think there's a mystery involved that makes it tough to square away one position over the other.

In Paul's conversion, there wasn't much room to resist. So much so that it could be argued he didn't really have any choice. The thing about Paul though, was that he was extremely zealous. And he was either going to be completely zealous for God, or zealous for the extreme opposite by persecuting the children of God. No in between. The latter position, which is what he was in, was one of not being able to listen to reason from any believer. And it would appear that a forceful conversion directly from God was the only way to bring him to Christ.
Indeed, Paul would likely not have chosen to come to Christ, aside from Christ’s visible encounter along the road to Damascus, though even that is still speculation, just as anti-Christians do sometimes convert to Christianity without major revelations of God. Some even have a death-bed conversion. Clearly, God was not going to wait that long since He intended to call him to evangelism. Nonetheless, two facts remain: (a) God didn’t make Paul positively respond to His orders, and (b) others in similar severe circumstances chose not to act positively to God’s orders, such as Balaam and Jonah. Paul still had his own choice to make while he was blinded for three days. He could have chosen to harden his heart, like with Jonah and Balaam. It is question-begging to suppose that since Paul made the right choice, that his choice must have been made for him.

Upvote 0