Is the Ascension a holy day of obligation?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,775,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, the solemnity of the Ascension is a holy day of obligation, but the exact day of its celebration depends on your local bishop.

One of the principal feasts of the liturgical year is the solemnity of the Ascension of the Lord, commemorating when Jesus ascended into Heaven.

The event is narrated in the Acts of the Apostles:

So when they had come together, they asked him, “Lord, will you at this time restore the kingdom to Israel?” He said to them, “It is not for you to know times or seasons which the Father has fixed by his own authority. But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samar′ia and to the end of the earth.” And when he had said this, as they were looking on, he was lifted up, and a cloud took him out of their sight.
Acts 1:6-9

When is the Ascension celebrated?​

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,260,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
My Diocese seems to do it on a Sunday.
Mine did that. Then I moved and it's Thusday again. It is refreshing that we get Ascension Thursday on Thursday and we get to have the Sunday readings on Sunday instead of skipping those and having Ascension Thursday Sunday. What an odd thing.

Upvote 0

Lady Bug

Thankful For My Confirmation
Site Supporter
Aug 23, 2007
✟800,523.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Mine did that. Then I moved and it's Thusday again. It is refreshing that we get Ascension Thursday on Thursday and we get to have the Sunday readings on Sunday instead of skipping those and having Ascension Thursday Sunday. What an odd thing.
I might sound bad but it's less stressful for me if it's on a Sunday. :sorry:

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,260,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I might sound bad but it's less stressful for me if it's on a Sunday. :sorry:
Your bishop picked that day for whatever reason. It's really fine. I guess be glad I'm not a bishop.

Upvote 0