Is it a good idea to defund the State Department, the National Security Council, or the Defense Department?

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I am curious about people's first reaction to that question.

To me, a simple "no" makes sense.

And if that's the case, it seems like it should go without saying that using that as a bargaining chip to get what you want, also seems like an inexplicable self sabotaging action.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/politics/house-israel-weapons-bill-vote/index.html
I was hoping to go "buddy buddy' with cnn and put a foxnews link but I can't find it on their website.
I wonder why.

Obviously, Biden would never sign it but doesn't it seem twisted that ANYONE would vote for this bill?

Honestly, all I see from this bill is that the Israeli lobby in the US has an, disproportionately unhealthy hold on your government.

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟77,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that bill is an attempt to prevent Joe and his Administration from following through on the threat to NOT deliver the exact military supplies to Israel which was earmarked to Israel by an earlier bill passed by the Senate and the House and which Biden signed off on.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I believe that bill is an attempt to prevent Joe and his Administration from following through on the threat to NOT deliver the exact military supplies to Israel which was earmarked to Israel by an earlier bill passed by the Senate and the House and which Biden signed off on.
So you believe it's appropriate to threaten to defund those 3 groups....

It's weird because only a couple hours later (IIRC) Republicans condemned calls to "defund the police".

like....wha?

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟77,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I believe that fiscal accountability and fiscal responsibility in government is a good thing to have in these days of trillion dollars deficits and $34 trillion dollars National Debt. However, there ain't enough politicians in the government who actually and truly with sincerity believe in fiscal accountability and fiscal responsibility when it comes to the deficit and the National Debt.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the link:

The bill would prevent Biden from withholding, halting, reversing or canceling weapons transfers that have been approved by Congress from the United States to Israel, and requires any that have been withheld to be delivered to Israel within 15 days of the bill’s enactment.​
It is unlikely to be taken up in the Democratic-led Senate and the White House has said that Biden would veto the bill if Congress passed it. The House vote was 224 to 187. Three Republicans voted against the measure and 16 Democrats voted for it.​
The funding has already been voted on and approved by congress - the President is trying to circumvent the congress - someone has to tell him no

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I believe that fiscal accountability and fiscal responsibility in government is a good thing to have in these days of trillion dollars deficits and $34 trillion dollars National Debt. However, there ain't enough politicians in the government who actually and truly with sincerity believe in fiscal accountability and fiscal responsibility when it comes to the deficit and the National Debt.
Ok....but the bill was calling to DEFUND those bodies.

Does that fall, in your mind, within the realm of "fiscal responsibility"?

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
From the link:

The bill would prevent Biden from withholding, halting, reversing or canceling weapons transfers that have been approved by Congress from the United States to Israel, and requires any that have been withheld to be delivered to Israel within 15 days of the bill’s enactment.​
It is unlikely to be taken up in the Democratic-led Senate and the White House has said that Biden would veto the bill if Congress passed it. The House vote was 224 to 187. Three Republicans voted against the measure and 16 Democrats voted for it.​
The funding has already been voted on and approved by congress - the President is trying to circumvent the congress - someone has to tell him
So you believe the threat to defund THOSE bodies is reasonable and rational?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So you believe the threat to defund THOSE bodies is reasonable and rational?
So's law -

I stated what I believed - let me clarify.

I believe there is a separation of powers in our government. The funding was voted on, passed and signed - the President does not have the authority to stop or alter it by decree - that is authoritarian.

He is the President - not an all powerful ruler who can make changes as he wills.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
So's law -

I stated what I believed - let me clarify.

I believe there is a separation of powers in our government. The funding was voted on, passed and signed - the President does not have the authority to stop or alter it by decree - that is authoritarian.
I did use So but that was not meant to be under So's law. I just wanted to clarify based on the question I EXPLICITLY asked in the OP.

He is the President - not an all powerful ruler who can make changes as he wills.
Who's the guy arguing that in front of the Supreme Court again?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did use So but that was not meant to be under So's law. I just wanted to clarify based on the question I EXPLICITLY asked in the OP.

Who's the guy arguing that in front of the Supreme Court again
what on earth does that have to do with Joe Biden trying to circumvent Congress and withhold what has already been approved and passed?

A little focus here would help.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
what on earth does that have to do with Joe Biden trying to circumvent Congress and withhold what has already been approved and passed?

A little focus here would help.
I'm sorry that wasn't clear.

You indicated that a president doesn't get to rule as he or she fits...I believe your exact words were. "He is the President - not an all powerful ruler who can make changes as he wills."

What I did there was allude to the fact that there is currently someone attempting to give Joe Biden that VERY ability. We both agree that it would be terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE for a president to that have kind of power.

I can understand the umbrage with "stopping" that shipment to Israel. I happen to agree with it 1000% but I can absolutely understand that it should go through.

There. Now perhaps you could speak to the question in the OP which asks:

Is it okay to threaten to withold funds from those bodies to get what you want?

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟335,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am curious about people's first reaction to that question.

To me, a simple "no" makes sense.

And if that's the case, it seems like it should go without saying that using that as a bargaining chip to get what you want, also seems like an inexplicable self sabotaging action.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/politics/house-israel-weapons-bill-vote/index.html
I was hoping to go "buddy buddy' with cnn and put a foxnews link but I can't find it on their website.
I wonder why.

Obviously, Biden would never sign it but doesn't it seem twisted that ANYONE would vote for this bill?

Honestly, all I see from this bill is that the Israeli lobby in the US has an, disproportionately unhealthy hold on your government.
From what I've seen with The Fox News channel. They don't report news that makes Democrat's look good. They don't tell the truth . Just bit of brain washing stuff. And they do everything to make fun of Biden. Because their party is that bad. As for defunding important things. I'm not for it, at all. I wasn't for defunding police either. I'm glad that Democrat law makers just quietly let that idea go away. I noticed liberals get to crazy. But the majority of Democrats leaders aren't. But the Republican leaders are becoming crazy right extreme. Which both sides need to come to a normal balance.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟77,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok....but the bill was calling to DEFUND those bodies.

Does that fall, in your mind, within the realm of "fiscal responsibility"?
Defund, to me, means to decrease the amount of funds. Therefore, when we have out of control deficits and an out of control National Debt, then I answer your question with a "Yes."

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟377,512.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Defund, to me, means to decrease the amount of funds. Therefore, when we have out of control deficits and an out of control National Debt, then I answer your question with a "Yes."
You also agree with defunding the police, too?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟77,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You also agree with defunding the police, too?
No.
Because in some of the cities where police funding has been decreased, those cities experienced an increasing number of criminal activities.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There. Now perhaps you could speak to the question in the OP which asks:

Is it okay to threaten to withold funds from those bodies to get what you want?
That is the quid pro quo that BOTH sides have used for decades - it is a leveraging tool. Is it legal - well they are the ones who make the laws - so it would be up to them and the President who has final say.

Is it OK to threaten to with hold funds - is it threaten or warn that if you do this - we will do that.

Long story short - I would have to look at it on a case by case basis.

In this specific instance - where the Congress debated it - voted on it and passed it - with the approval of the President- They should be required to be people of their word. Their yes should be yes and their no - no.

And it seems that there is 15 Democratic Congress people who feel the same way.

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
From the link:

The funding has already been voted on and approved by congress - the President is trying to circumvent the congress - someone has to tell him no
Has this legislation been brought up in the Senate?
(Even if the Senate does pass this measure, will Biden sign it seeings as there’d almost certainly be no veto-override of this finely crafted bill.)

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟975,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Defund State, NSC, or Defense? No. But cut the defense budget. We have the highest defense budget in the world many times over. It's one reason why we can't have nice things. Universal Health Care anyone?

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Defund State, NSC, or Defense? No. But cut the defense budget. We have the highest defense budget in the world many times over. It's one reason why we can't have nice things. Universal Health Care anyone?
Someone’s kidney surgery is two torpedos and a porthole.

Upvote 0