Is Fasting Biblical?

C.A.B.L

Apr 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟663.00
Faith
Christian
Oblio,

I agree with you that the church can be involved in a fast when trying to determine God's will for the future of their church. I think it is vital when making an important decesion in the church to fast and diligently seek the Lords will in the matter.

However, when seeking the Lords will for you own life, it is necessary, not an option, to fast.
Mat 6:16 Moreover when ye fast, be not, as the hypocrites, of a sad countenance: for they disfigure their faces, that they may appear unto men to fast. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. Mat 6:17 But thou, when thou fastest, anoint thine head, and wash thy face; Mat 6:18 That thou appear not unto men to fast, but unto thy Father which is in secret: and thy Father, which seeth in secret, shall reward thee openly.
In this verse it puts emphases on appearing healthy and seeking the approval of God alone. I think there are many kinds of fasts and many motivations for a fast, but the one goal in every fast is to seek the Lords will alone, it's as simple as that.

Upvote 0

Mitch

Veteran
Feb 28, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟8,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oblio said:
As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.
(Acts 13:2-3 KJV)

This clearly show that fasting is a corporate act, not simply an individual act of piety.

Yes I think it is good to fast as a groop. but also individualy, Jesus was alone when he fasted for 40 days.

Upvote 0

nb_christseeker

Jul 3, 2004
✟1,362.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
when i fasted, for even a short time, God did -amazing- things in my life. My neighbor, seemingly at random, opened up to me about his sister's cancer death and we talked about God for a good half hour, strengthening his faith.

We don't fast for ourselves and for selfish interests, we fast for others. Christian fasting is an other-centered activity, aimed at loving others. just look at what God declares his reasons for men fasting are:

Isa 58:6 Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?

the poor, the naked, the hungry... these are the reasons you fast. sure, you get closer to God, but with a purpose: loving others.

Upvote 0

Jette

Jul 29, 2004
The Emerald City
✟7,728.00
Faith
Christian
ronnieb2003 said:
paul said we should make our bodies our slaves. as christians, we should control our body, and not let our body control our actions.
its hard and im not perfect, but i believe this is correct thought.

I have trouble understanding why people think fasting is so hard, or even impossible. People act like they will die if they go without food for a few hours. Guess what, you can probably go for weeks without it. Historically humans often when through lean times, like in the winter, and had to go days or weeks without food. It doesn't hurt you, and science is now showing it si good for you. The optimal frequency may be two days out of the week. You can fast just for health reasons alone! Fasting is also one of the traditional spiritual disciplines!

Upvote 0

Bible Addict

Aug 9, 2004
✟8,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think that if you think it could help you personally to concentrate more on God and come closer to him, and if you believe that you can handle this sacrifice and you are doing it for the right reasons... to show God your love and faith, then it can be a good thing, but I don't think it's necessarily right for everyone.

Upvote 0

C.A.B.L

Apr 5, 2004
Houston, Texas
✟663.00
Faith
Christian
I disagree, if fasting wasn't for everyone, then Jesus wouldn't have commanded every believer to fast. I do agree that if you do it, you should feel lead to do it. Don't just wake up one morning and say to yourself "I think I am going to fast today" because then you will be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Addict

Aug 9, 2004
✟8,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Well, that's sort of what I meant, I didn't word it very well, if you feel lead to fast as you say, then it's right for you, and you're doing it to be closer to God, but if you just do it out of the blue for no reason, then there's no point and at that time its not right for you... kind of obscure I guess... BTW, I really like ur sig C.A.B.L. :)

Upvote 0

Bible Addict

Aug 9, 2004
✟8,539.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
C.A.B.L said:
BibleAddict,

I didn't mean to attack your or anything. If it seemed that way, I apologize. I agree with you, and thanks about the signature.
lol... I didn't take it that way, don't worry ;) People on these forums really hate conflict don't they? It's so much better than some of the other forums I've been on where a lot of people just look for fights.

Upvote 0

ExOrienteLux

The thread killer
Jul 30, 2004
✟9,795.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Like many others have already said, fasting is Biblical. Christians always have fasted and always will.

Why do we fast? In order that we may kill the flesh and the passions and allow the body to grow in their place.

As for it being difficult or impossible to fast, it is certainly difficult, but struggles against the flesh are always hard. But they're always rewarding, both in terms of physical and in terms of spiritual health.

Nothing like reiterating what's already been said, eh?

His sinful and unworthy servant,
Josh

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums