Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟944,858.00
Faith
Atheist
I suspect the IQ test isn't measuring modern ways of thinking. Think "back in my day". If a test were given that measured one's ability to use a slide rule, we'd almost all fail ... and mutter "so what, not relevant". Remember when teachers used to say "they won't let you use a calculator in college".

Anyway, ways of processing the world change ... probably faster than tests that measure that do.

Just a WAG.

• Useful
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I suspect the IQ test isn't measuring modern ways of thinking. Think "back in my day". If a test were given that measured one's ability to use a slide rule, we'd almost all fail ... and mutter "so what, not relevant". Remember when teachers used to say "they won't let you use a calculator in college".

Anyway, ways of processing the world change ... probably faster than tests that measure that do.

Just a WAG.
Im skeptical.

The new ways of processing the world are shallower, on average, than the old ways. The have to be to pass the ever narrowing gates of our contemporary attention spans.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟625,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IQ started falling in Europe before the US. It seems the US has finally caught up. It doesn't seem to be due to immigration, as countries that have less immigration have sometimes had more average IQ drop. It also doesn't seem to be due to dysgenic mating (eg, Idiocracy), as we can see IQ drops within the same family (younger siblings vs. older siblings).

I wonder if it's due to the changing nature of kids' free time. When I was growing up, we played with actual toys, blocks, Legoes, board games, that sort of thing. We also had actual physical books to read. Now days, kids are spending time in front of cell phones or tablets, and probably spend alot less time reading.
I'd say it's mainly the education system. Outside of school kids in the 70s spent time watching TV and listening to music.

I've heard the education system has become less challenging in a pursuit of equality. Basically meaning it's been taken down to the level of low achievers to make it more fair for them.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'd say it's mainly the education system. Outside of school kids in the 70s spent time watching TV and listening to music.....
In the 70s people had the patience to listen to a record. Remember them? 45 minutes of the same band.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,106.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
In the 70s people had the patience to listen to a record. Remember them? 45 minutes of the same band.
With only a pause to turn the record over.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟153,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IQ started falling in Europe before the US. It seems the US has finally caught up. It doesn't seem to be due to immigration, as countries that have less immigration have sometimes had more average IQ drop. It also doesn't seem to be due to dysgenic mating (eg, Idiocracy), as we can see IQ drops within the same family (younger siblings vs. older siblings).

I wonder if it's due to the changing nature of kids' free time. When I was growing up, we played with actual toys, blocks, Legoes, board games, that sort of thing. We also had actual physical books to read. Now days, kids are spending time in front of cell phones or tablets, and probably spend alot less time reading.
I wouldn't be surprised if what you mentioned is behind it.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
.....When I was growing up, we played with actual toys, blocks, Legoes, board games, that sort of thing. We also had actual physical books to read......
Not to mention romping around in the hills, woods, tidal marshland, etc*, pretending at all kinds of self created scenarios, negotiating, building connections to the natural world, developing agility. All that sharpens the mind in ways underappreciated, I think.

(*or whatever unruly space was available to you and your friends)

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟885,525.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if Darwin's idea of survival of the fittest plays a role in this. Part of being fit is being smart, you know, avoiding winning the Darwin Award. Because...

<puts on grumpy old man hat>

...when I was a kid, cars didn't have seat belts. You had to drive safer. And we didn't have school zones where people had to drive ridiculously slow. If a kid didn't have sense enough to look both ways before crossing the street, he might get whacked by a car. If he survived, it would be what Obama used to call "a teachable moment". He got learned something. Then there's these modern children's playgrounds, with the squishy ground and all made of plastic. In my day, playgrounds were made of wood, concrete and steel. You either learned to negotiate a treacherous environment or you didn't.

I could go on, but I need to go yell at some kids that are on my lawn.

Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟944,858.00
Faith
Atheist
old man shouts at cloud.jpg

Look, I'm old, but don't you think it's at least possible we're getting it wrong.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
View attachment 347939

Look, I'm old, but don't you think it's at least possible we're getting it wrong.
For sure I considered that possibility. But I really think the attention span thing is a big deal. Its the key to penetrating deeper insights and difficult topics, and its suffering in the current always-on mobile/media environment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wonder if Darwin's idea of survival of the fittest plays a role in this. Part of being fit is being smart, you know, avoiding winning the Darwin Award. Because...

<puts on grumpy old man hat>

...when I was a kid, cars didn't have seat belts. You had to drive safer. And we didn't have school zones where people had to drive ridiculously slow. If a kid didn't have sense enough to look both ways before crossing the street, he might get whacked by a car. If he survived, it would be what Obama used to call "a teachable moment". He got learned something. Then there's these modern children's playgrounds, with the squishy ground and all made of plastic. In my day, playgrounds were made of wood, concrete and steel. You either learned to negotiate a treacherous environment or you didn't.

I could go on, but I need to go yell at some kids that are on my lawn.
The article indicated genetics are not the issue, for reasons it explains. So Darwin can stay seated.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article indicated genetics are not the issue, for reasons it explains. So Darwin can stay seated.

I don't know about that: environments do provide a testing ground for the fitness of individuals. Sometimes, one's social environment can make or break an otherwise genetically endowed person. And sometimes, some of those like me---------who don't have a particularly high IQ------------are given wings because I somehow managed to marry above my own trophic level. :sorry:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟318,376.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
IQ scores among Americans are falling. The evidence seems to be that it is due to environmental changes, possibly due to social media consumption and screen time:

I’m more inclined to believe that IQ testing is becoming more redundant as a valid measure as the world moves away from the era in which IQ tests were initiated.

We know part of IQ test are culturally specific so it should come as no surprise.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟318,376.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You know the Portuguese man o' war? What is the plural of that? Man o' wars? Mans o' war? Men o' war?

Oh sorry I forgot we were talking about something else.
Man of Wars.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟972,678.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
IQ scores among Americans are falling. The evidence seems to be that it is due to environmental changes, possibly due to social media consumption and screen time:

One of the biggest hits to our collective IQ is the unprecedented increase in regressive autism.*
*In terms of the ICD-11, it is known as Autism w/Cognitive Deficits as opposed to Autism w/o Cognitive Deficits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟625,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the biggest hits to collective IQ is the unprecedented increase in regressive autism.*
*In terms of the ICD-11, it is known as Autism w/Cognitive Deficits as opposed to Autism w/o Cognitive Deficits.
Don't level 2 and 3 autistics only make up a tiny percentage of the population?

Upvote 0