• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Intrusive thoughts

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
What sort of intrusive thoughts do you mean exactly?
a lot of unwanted thoughts that don't fit my personality. i don't think i can go into much more detail than that. sexual...angry....past painful memories etc

• Prayers
Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,019,088.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
a lot of unwanted thoughts that don't fit my personality. i don't think i can go into much more detail than that. sexual...angry....past painful memories etc

I have pretty much all of that on a daily basis. It's no fun. I wish I could recommend something to help you. :(

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I have pretty much all of that on a daily basis. It's no fun. I wish I could recommend something to help you. :(
prayers. It's awful, I agree

Upvote 0

Dome558

Jul 15, 2022
canada
✟1,614.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
How do you deal with intrusive and unwanted thoughts? Are they sinful?

God bless
There's this old saying " you can't keep a bird from flying over your head but you can stop it from building a nest" . What I'm trying to say is we don't always have control over what thoughts enter our minds but, we do have control over whether they stay or not... if we keep them around and only want them gone with half our heart than yes its sin and will be judged by God... I do have the same problem but I can control it a lot better with being careful by what I watch and read ....

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,957.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
How do you deal with intrusive and unwanted thoughts? Are they sinful?

God bless
Intrusive thoughts grow like plant life because our bodies have sin in them, the scripture speaks of a good seed, I would recommend applying this (planting good seeds) in the realm of your thoughts so the good outgrows (or even devours) the bad. Perhaps coupled with sacraments.

I found a solution for my own issues with this, but what works for me, may not work for the next person.

Upvote 0

Skye1300

Vegan Pro life Mom
Mar 19, 2022
West Coast USA
✟47,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like internal struggles and healings that needs to get out and be resolved. What is the cause of the angry thoughts and feelings? What triggers them? Try spending time meditating and see where your thoughts take you. There's some unresolved feelings trying to get out.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds like internal struggles and healings that needs to get out and be resolved. What is the cause of the angry thoughts and feelings? What triggers them? Try spending time meditating and see where your thoughts take you. There's some unresolved feelings trying to get out.
Generally being alone, or stressed, or unoccupied.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
There's this old saying " you can't keep a bird from flying over your head but you can stop it from building a nest" . What I'm trying to say is we don't always have control over what thoughts enter our minds but, we do have control over whether they stay or not... if we keep them around and only want them gone with half our heart than yes its sin and will be judged by God... I do have the same problem but I can control it a lot better with being careful by what I watch and read ....
That's true. I need to be more careful about what media I consume.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Intrusive thoughts grow like plant life because our bodies have sin in them, the scripture speaks of a good seed, I would recommend applying this (planting good seeds) in the realm of your thoughts so the good outgrows (or even devours) the bad. Perhaps coupled with sacraments.

I found a solution for my own issues with this, but what works for me, may not work for the next person.
Thank you. I appreciate your insight.

On a side note, I wish I could frequent Holy Communion on a daily basis as an antidote against sin and for the abundant forgiveness of sins when I'm in the state of grace. My soul needs the nourishment.

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟414,043.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, the unholy trinity of the devil, the world, and our own sinful flesh tempt and influence us in different ways. With respect to what you're talking about, I think we can perhaps consider it in two parts.

The first part of it is just how our sinful mind works when it picks up on things we've heard and seen and puts them together in terrible ways. But also, the second part, though I'm sure many would think I'm superstitious, I think that many of the images and ideas that we suddenly receive are demonic. Extreme cases of this is sometimes called Obsession (obsessio spiritualis), which is a focused demonic attack from the outside. It's different from Possession, which is an attack from the inside, and it's different from general demonic attacks in that it's more severe, frequent, and focused. So if you believe that what you experience is beyond what's common, maybe it can be a good idea to consult a priest. Though I should say that (1) intrusive thoughts or images happen to everyone, and I think some people are just more alert to it than others, and (2) we have to be very careful about dealing with Obsession.

To answer your questions:

How can we deal with it? Well, we can't really control it, because we are sinners and we live in a sinful world. But we can combat it by keeping our minds on God's Word, trusting in His grace, and praying for forgiveness and sanctification.

Is it a sin? This was a big controversy at the Reformation, and I believe the Roman Catholic answer is that what you experience isn't a sin, but from a Lutheran perspective, we believe it is sin. I'm happy to elaborate on this, but if you want to do your own reading on it, I can recommend taking a look at the controversy regarding Concupiscence.

Generally, though, my own advice, and what I live by, is simply to repent and trust in Christ. That is, I don't think there are any magic solutions or formulas to rid ourselves of unwanted thoughts, but we suffer it as we suffer any sin, by confessing it and receiving God's forgiveness, and trusting His promise that He will protect and sustain us and raise us to new life, where we finally will be free from all sin and suffering.

God bless!

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟256,639.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah, the unholy trinity of the devil, the world, and our own sinful flesh tempt and influence us in different ways. With respect to what you're talking about, I think we can perhaps consider it in two parts.

The first part of it is just how our sinful mind works when it picks up on things we've heard and seen and puts them together in terrible ways. But also, the second part, though I'm sure many would think I'm superstitious, I think that many of the images and ideas that we suddenly receive are demonic. Extreme cases of this is sometimes called Obsession (obsessio spiritualis), which is a focused demonic attack from the outside. It's different from Possession, which is an attack from the inside, and it's different from general demonic attacks in that it's more severe, frequent, and focused. So if you believe that what you experience is beyond what's common, maybe it can be a good idea to consult a priest. Though I should say that (1) intrusive thoughts or images happen to everyone, and I think some people are just more alert to it than others, and (2) we have to be very careful about dealing with Obsession.

To answer your questions:

How can we deal with it? Well, we can't really control it, because we are sinners and we live in a sinful world. But we can combat it by keeping our minds on God's Word, trusting in His grace, and praying for forgiveness and sanctification.

Is it a sin? This was a big controversy at the Reformation, and I believe the Roman Catholic answer is that what you experience isn't a sin, but from a Lutheran perspective, we believe it is sin. I'm happy to elaborate on this, but if you want to do your own reading on it, I can recommend taking a look at the controversy regarding Concupiscence.

Generally, though, my own advice, and what I live by, is simply to repent and trust in Christ. That is, I don't think there are any magic solutions or formulas to rid ourselves of unwanted thoughts, but we suffer it as we suffer any sin, by confessing it and receiving God's forgiveness, and trusting His promise that He will protect and sustain us and raise us to new life, where we finally will be free from all sin and suffering.

God bless!
Thank you. I plan on going to confession and receiving Holy Communion this coming Saturday. I am very familiar with demonic influences and obsession and I think the devil works in subtle ways to trick and harm us. Thank God for his faithfulness and mercy.

God bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeekerOfTruth354

Aug 9, 2022
Linton
✟20,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

I mean in honesty what you said kinda does not make since. It is pretty sickening coming from ME who has been through intrusive thoughts that will not leave, even if you pray for them to. "There's this old saying 'you can't keep a bird from flying over your head but you can stop it from building a nest"

Ok so your inserting a belief that you CAN stop a specific thing from coming in mind.

Also. "What I'm trying to say is we don't always have control over what thoughts enter our minds but, we do have control over whether they stay or not... if we keep them around and only want them gone with half our heart than yes its sin and will be judged by God.."

My question too you:
Why would anyone only want them half gone?
Is my question to you????
Have you ever been through a death of your mother, loved one, anxiety attack, panic, or just stress?

I believe that is a little hogwashed by your saying in the beginning. "If we keep them around and only want them gone with half of our heart then yes it is sin and will be judged by God."

Ok well your using a double standard and a double negative. Human emotion and human illness does not always allow us to let go of certain things that enter our minds. If that was what your saying is the case then every person sins always whether they want too without Adams original sin or not.

1 John 4:1
King James Version

"4 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

Your post:
if we keep them around and only want them gone with half our heart than yes its sin and will be judged by God.."

So your telling me even if you believe with ALL your heart that God will take it away including anxiety, sexual lust, etc.. and it is still around this means you sin? Your meaning is it means it is not gonna go away because your using "half of your heart", That is a insult. Its called temptation my friend. Something you go through on a daily basis. Do you know how it feels to have a panic attack? A anxiety attack? A sexual lust temptation so strong you feel you cannot resist? And im supposed to believe that it is because Im using half of my heart?

You have a non biblical outlook on how things should be. The bible tells us
Acts 19:12 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
"So that from his body were brought unto the sick handkerchiefs or aprons, and the diseases departed from them, and the evil spirits went out of them."

Didnt really seem like the person had a say in the matter. Yes sin prolly led them into what they were into or maybe not?
Take Job for example.

Job 1:8

“And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?”

Did Job just have a half heart? Or was God a liar?? Not at all!!

I urge you to rethink your position on this topic. You do not know the hearts of men. I mean this with respect and honesty. I have been through all of it and for someone to say I have only a half heart on the subject is a insult.
Peace

Last edited:
Upvote 0