Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think, (maybe?), I have a pretty good idea of Zwingly's disagreements with both Luther and the Catholic Church and Calvin when it comes to the eucharist. To my understanding Zwingli did not believe Christ was actually present at all during the Sacrament. while Calvin believed Christ was symbolically present, and Luther believed it was he was literally present. Am I missing anything (probably), I have been diving into the reformation and there is still a lot I dont understand. Also interested in anything else yall know about this subject...or anything tangentially related to it.

PsaltiChrysostom

Mar 20, 2018
Virginia
✟70,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A couple of books I recommend

Roland Bainton - Here I Stand - biography of Luther
Owen Chadwick - The Reformation - an overall history of the Reformation
A. G. Dicken - The Counter Reformation - a good history of the reforms of the Catholic Church due to the Reformation

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,281,001.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I think, (maybe?), I have a pretty good idea of Zwingly's disagreements with both Luther and the Catholic Church and Calvin when it comes to the eucharist. To my understanding Zwingli did not believe Christ was actually present at all during the Sacrament. while Calvin believed Christ was symbolically present, and Luther believed it was he was literally present. Am I missing anything (probably), I have been diving into the reformation and there is still a lot I dont understand. Also interested in anything else yall know about this subject...or anything tangentially related to it.

Zwingli believed Christ was present in spirit. He didn't necessarily deny the sacrament was a means of grace, but disagreed about the mode of Christ's presence.

Zwingli initially was inspired by Luther and followed his writings, but came to a different emphasis than Luther . Zwingli was more opposed to the entire medieval feudal system, because he saw his countrymen being victimized by the feudal system that treated them as cannon fodder for far away emperors and princes. Zwingli believed the problem with Catholicism was idolatry, which caused the Church to be unable to recognize the godly from the ungodly. He thought the church should be ruled by godly elders. This wasn't a completely unrealistic expectation at the time, since many clergy essentially were little more than civil servants who bought or inherited their way into office.

He struggled alot with clerical celibacy when he was younger, compared to Luther.

An interesting fact is that Zwingli survived the Black Death. He got sick but recovered. That wasn't at all typical.

Reactions: Sors
Upvote 0

Sors

Still Love This Movie
Sep 30, 2004
Texas
✟22,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Zwingli believed Christ was present in spirit. He didn't necessarily deny the sacrament was a means of grace, but disagreed about the mode of Christ's presence.

Zwingli initially was inspired by Luther and followed his writings, but came to a different emphasis than Luther . Zwingli was more opposed to the entire medieval feudal system, because he saw his countrymen being victimized by the feudal system that treated them as cannon fodder for far away emperors and princes. Zwingli believed the problem with Catholicism was idolatry, which caused the Church to be unable to recognize the godly from the ungodly. He thought the church should be ruled by godly elders. This wasn't a completely unrealistic expectation at the time, since many clergy essentially were little more than civil servants who bought or inherited their way into office.

He struggled alot with clerical celibacy when he was younger, compared to Luther.

An interesting fact is that Zwingli survived the Black Death. He got sick but recovered. That wasn't at all typical.
This is great information. Thank You!

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟518,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You may find these useful....

...Carl Trueman speaks about the Marburg Colloquy, a meeting called by Philip I of Hesse to unite the Protestant states in a political alliance. To accomplish such a union, he sought theological agreement between Martin Luther and Ulrich Zwingli. While Luther and Zwingli could agree on fourteen theological points laid out at the meeting, they could not come to terms on the real presence of Christ in the Lord’s Supper. Dr. Trueman is professor of biblical and religious studies at Grove City College.

Upvote 0