✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
I keep going through this over and over in my head

I recently had a baby (3 month old girl). I love her very, very much... but this parenting/motherhood thing is A LOT more difficult then I thought it was going to be. Before I had my daughter I thought that I would want at least one more. At this point I feel like I would not want to go through everything I've just gone through again...

A lot of people have told me it's too early to make a decision just yet, and I agree, but I just can't stop thinking about this issue because I feel like my way of looking at things have completely changed.

I almost feel like it may be against God's plan... There are so many references in the Bible to have children/more then one child/lots of children... even that we should have a son. A lot of the reference is from before Christ though.

Well, as you can see, I'm very mixed up about the whole thing and hearing other people's opinions may help me to make a decision some day :)

FaithPrevails

May 7, 2006
Far, far away from here
✟18,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I personally believe it takes our bodies - not to mention our hormones ;) - about a year to get back to normal. I would wait at least that long until you make a permanent decision (or take permanent action) with regards to more children. If people now ask you if you plan more, just tell them you're enjoying this one first for a while before you decide. :) If they push back that you HAVE to have more, just smile. lol

Honestly? I have felt some degree of being overwhelmed with each baby (3 now). We experience sleep deprivation, hormonal swings, body changes, fussy babies, etc. All of that paired together should be overwhelming. If it isn't, then the mom is probably in a coma. ^_^

But, remembering that things will seem overwhelming some days and like a breeze others...and that it does typically get easier as they get older helps.

Welcome to CF, by the way. :)

Upvote 0

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Hi

I agree with Faith. Also from my own experience-I have a boy and girl. Phyically speaking I did not feel at all good during my first pregnancy, all through the first 2 years, 2 months of having my son (including being pregnant a second time) but almost as soon as I had my girl I felt like I was a new person.
Sometimes our hormones go into overdrive when we've had a baby and making any type of decision to do with more children can't be made when we're like that.

Also, I'm sorry you're finding it harder than you thought-you will get there though

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Also, you may have a baby that's more vocal or doesn't need much sleep; therefore, you get little rest. My son was like that, and I had the same thoughts. My second son was quiet. He slept well, ate well, and rarely cried at all. It seems everyone who has two, gets one of each. Just seems to always happen that way.

Are you having any specific things that you are unsure about? Anything in particular that is troubling you? We veteran moms (I'll be a grandmother tomorrow) can help a lot since we've been there, done that, and have the spit up on the T-shirts to prove it.

I suppose it could be worse:

uglybaby.jpg

Upvote 0

quinntanyad

Mar 16, 2011
New Bruswick
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Also, you may have a baby that's more vocal or doesn't need much sleep; therefore, you get little rest. My son was like that, and I had the same thoughts. My second son was quiet. He slept well, ate well, and rarely cried at all. It seems everyone who has two, gets one of each. Just seems to always happen that way.

Are you having any specific things that you are unsure about? Anything in particular that is troubling you? We veteran moms (I'll be a grandmother tomorrow) can help a lot since we've been there, done that, and have the spit up on the T-shirts to prove it.

Actually, I think that is probably part of my problem. It seems like everything about my pregnancy and early days of having my daughter went completely opposite of what I thought it would be like.

First, I am a negative RH... my husband is positive RH... so I had to get a RH shot during and after my pregnancy. My pregnancy was very uncomfortable for the most part (I had a lot of hip problems and a lot of swelling) ...and gained 70 lbs (still needing to lose 30 lbs to get back to pre-pregnancy weight).

Second, my doctor believed she was head down the whole time... when my water broke and I went to the hospital a quick ultrasound was done to show the she was actually breech (bum-down). So I ended up needing a c-section... which wasn't really that bad... they did a great job, and I am healed well now... but it was not at all what I expected.

Third, we had a very, very difficult time breastfeeding. She would not latch, or if she did, she was never on properly and I ended up with blisters and bleeding. I ended up quitting after 3 weeks as I was crying every time I tried to nurse... and I did not feel like we were bonding at all.

As soon as I started bottle feeding, I started to feel much better and started feeling like we were finally bonding. Unfortunately, she started getting colic right after, and we had to try a few different types of formula before finally finding one that didn't upset her stomach so much.

So, the fourth thing that had made this pregnancy/baby difficult is that she doesn't really like to be held much. I know she loves me though. She smiled and laughs and plays with me when I put her on a play mat or bouncer... she just doesn't like to cuddle. She seems very independent, which is a good trait to have - she will probably be a great leader. She also seems very intelligent - always looks like she is taking everything in and loves to listen/watch while I read books to her.

I love my daughter very much, and I would not change a thing about her. I am just having a hard time because almost nothing is as I thought it would be. I think I am probably afraid to have another and it being worse than what happened the first time... because even though nothing was as I thought it would be, she is still a wonderful baby, and the c-section actually went really well and healed quickly.

I also feel like I have some selfish reasons for not wanting another baby... one being if I get to a good weight again, I don't to have to go though gaining and trying to lose weight again. Also, I feel like I want some time back... to write music again... or even just to bake and take nice long baths. I'm thinking probably a lot of mothers feel that way though, hehehehe... and I know someday I will be able to do all of those things again... I just am feeling impatient sometimes :p

It's weird too, sometimes I think technically my husband and I were not supposed to have children... my being a negative RH and him being positive. Without modern medicine, our daughter would probably not be alive (being also breech). I've thanked God many times though for the miracles of modern medicine in letting us have a baby... but sometimes it seems like we went against what would have been.

LOL... I think I've rambled long enough!!! But I guess this is why I am so confused... and some outside opinions may help me to look at things in different ways :)

And maybe if I were to have another baby everything would be better, just like what happened to you singpeace!

Upvote 0

ChildByGrace

Isn't God's grace the best !!!
Jul 22, 2005
Bournemouth
✟16,228.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I'm not sure how many people actually have the pregnancy and first few months that they expected.

I too ended up with a c-section and had a baby that did not want to latch on. I also felt that my pregnancy did not go well. But it does get better.
I don't think alot of baby books and magazines help new parents-everything seems to done from a perfect baby point of view. No-one seems to tell you that all babies dont feed naturally, giving a baby a bottle usually makes colic worse, all babies don't make the transition from formula to cows milk easily.
I manage to have nice restful baths and time to myself. It helps if your dh will just take baby for an hour each week to give you time.

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I didn't go through any of that with my first but with my second, I had it in spades. I had preeclampsia and then toxemia poisoning so I had to be induced and felt awful from about month 6 or 7 of the pregnancy to about a 2 months after he was born. It took that long for my blood pressure to finally stabilize. When I went to have him they thought that he was in the right position but it turned out that he was in what's called a brow position. I didn't have a c-section but the labor and delivery were like 1000 times more intense (read that as painful) than with my first. Had no problems breast feeding him but he had horrible colic and I had to go through the whole mess with people telling me that there was no way he could be allergic or sensitive to my milk (grrrrr) but I kept it up for 6 mos. It took another 3 mos after I finally gave up breast feeding to find the right formula and the whole 9 mos we were going through all this he screamed day and night. And diaper rash... I blame this on him not properly digesting the breast milk and then the various formulas I tried at first but man, it didn't seem to matter what I did, he always had it. For me, it my daughter was such a dream child that when he came along, it was soooooo different and I felt so, just overwhelmed and it did take me quite a while to "fall in love" with him. I mean, I loved him. He was my child but I wasn't "in love" with him. I've said on many many occasions that if he'd been my first, he'd have been my only so I'm really glad he came after my daughter.

Upvote 0

quinntanyad

Mar 16, 2011
New Bruswick
✟15,144.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Ouch! That must have been really tough atlasshrugged :( . I'm thankful I haven't had it that hard... but I am afraid of if there is a next time it will be even more difficult because my daughter really is a good baby. Even though she had colic (it seems to be going away :) ) she sleeps fairly well at night and she's very social and smiles fairly easily. But I guess God wouldn't put me through something I couldn't handle, so maybe I shouldn't worry about the possibility of a next baby being more difficult?

I'm thinking I should start a list of pros and cons for ever having another baby... lol, it will probably take me a year or two to do anyway!

Upvote 0

singpeace

Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
First, I am a negative RH... my husband is positive RH... so I had to get a RH shot during and after my pregnancy.
me too.

As soon as I started bottle feeding . . . she started getting colic
mine too

I ended up needing a c-section...
me too

I hear ya Sis. Enjoy what you have now and leave the rest to God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums