In a new church (I think Southern Baptist)

t4inted-

part of Gods flock :)
Dec 9, 2019
planet earth
✟48,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi brethren I recently started going to a new church this year after COVID. I was going to a non-denominational before but they brought in another gospel so I thought it was time to go to a new church so I started looking for other churches and found this one baptist church that was birthed out of the SBC that seems to preach the word of God so I was drawn to it and started attending.

Things are a bit different than what I’m use to the people are welcoming and what not but it’s been a big change for me.

I am just wondering what kind of things do the baptists hold to regarding doctrine and what not.. I know the believers baptism and I also think OSAS

can anyone tell me a bit more about baptists ? I have done some research but I can’t get my head around it.

thanks

Reactions: DragonFox91

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟1,002,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi brethren I recently started going to a new church this year after COVID. I was going to a non-denominational before but they brought in another gospel so I thought it was time to go to a new church so I started looking for other churches and found this one baptist church that was birthed out of the SBC that seems to preach the word of God so I was drawn to it and started attending.
Things are a bit different than what I’m use to the people are welcoming and what not but it’s been a big change for me.I am just wondering what kind of things do the baptists hold to regarding doctrine and what not.. I know the believers baptism and I also think OSAS
can anyone tell me a bit more about baptists ? I have done some research but I can’t get my head around it.
thanks
If the church is Southern Baptist here is a link to their most recent "Baptist Faith and Message" Which explains all their beliefs and practices.

• Informative
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Things are a bit different than what I’m use to the people are welcoming and what not but it’s been a big change for me.

I am just wondering what kind of things do the baptists hold to regarding doctrine and what not.. I know the believers baptism and I also think OSAS

thanks

Not only is every denomination different, but each church within a denomination is different. You 'll be sitting in service thinking that everyone is the same mind. Then you go to Sunday classes and you find that many people are there because of the faith of their spouse and they have an entirely different faith. One congregation is full of devoted Baptists and the next is full of new transfers from other faiths. Attending Sunday school is the only way to know your congregation.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟219,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I copied & pasted this from another thread:

I attend Baptist church regularly. We believe the history parts of the Bible as real history. We understand God to be unchanging, God’s commands are as relevant today as they were in Bible times. Society may change, but God’s word doesn’t. We are evangelical & believe being born again & repentance. We believe in regular Bible-study, prayer, & fellowship.

We are very traditional & Sola Scriptura. We don't believe in skipping over the hard or 'censored' passages.

Yes, believer's baptism.

I'm actually not sure about OSAS, sorry. :/ I want to say yes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I copied & pasted this from another thread:

I attend Baptist church regularly. We believe the history parts of the Bible as real history. We understand God to be unchanging, God’s commands are as relevant today as they were in Bible times. Society may change, but God’s word doesn’t. We are evangelical & believe being born again & repentance. We believe in regular Bible-study, prayer, & fellowship.

We are very traditional & Sola Scriptura. We don't believe in skipping over the hard or 'censored' passages.

Yes, believer's baptism.

I'm actually not sure about OSAS, sorry. :/ I want to say yes.

If it's out of the Southern Baptist tradition, they definitely believe OSAS. That said, that is the case for most Baptists with the exception of those out of "General Baptist" and "Free Will Baptist" traditions. (General Baptists are a smaller denomination mainly in the Midwest and Mid-South states. Free Will Baptists are more of a Deep South and East Coast thing.) These two groups hold to a teaching called "Reformed Arminianism" which basically teaches that salvation CAN be lost under circumstances of extreme apostasy, but once a believer totally abandons the faith there is no coming back per Hebrews 6.

Upvote 0