Montgomery
✟150,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you're concerned about anchor babies?
I thought that was an objectionable term. I’m just stating the fact that there are going to be children of undocumented immigrants who can vote in 18 years. Some people were emphasizing that these people are not likely to be able to vote. Their children will be able to though.

• Agree
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is that cheating the hard way or something that we need to worry about?
It’s just a fact. Some people are emphasizing that these people are not likely to be able to vote (which I’m not so sure about) but their children will absolutely, legally be able to vote

• Agree
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Down in New Mexico, near where I recently lived, there are two little towns right next to each other way out in the middle of the desert. The US border runs right between them: Puerto Palomas, Chihuahua and Colombus, New Mexico. For many years, there was no maternity clinic in Puerto Palomas so the women who lived there came across and had their babies in Columbus. There is a maternity clinic in Puerto Palomas now, so the women stay home to have their babies but there are still few older kids left who live in Puerto Palomas with their families but as US citizens, every morning they come to the border gate and are picked up by the Luna County school bus on its rounds, taken to a US public school and then dropped off at the border gate after school and they walk across to their homes in Mexico. No doubt that when they grow up they will vote in the US. Good for them.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It’s just a fact. Some people are emphasizing that these people are not likely to be able to vote (which I’m not so sure about) but their children will absolutely, legally be able to vote
It also has nothing to do with the OP, nor anything near term.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It has to do with the current wave of undocumented immigrants eventually affecting voting

We don't have much of a history of legalizing and providing paths to citizenship for undocumented entrants even after decades. The so-called "dreamers" have been excused from deportation for their childhood illegal entry, but as them if they can vote yet decades later.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We don't have much of a history of legalizing and providing paths to citizenship for undocumented entrants even after decades. The so-called "dreamers" have been excused from deportation for their childhood illegal entry, but as them if they can vote yet decades later.
Irrelevant. I’m not talking about children brought here I’m talking about children born here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Irrelevant. I’m not talking about children brought here I’m talking about children born here.

And it will take decades before they could vote. That's how the time works.

What about young people who were born in the US and grew up here voting once they are adults is scary to you?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It has to do with the current wave of undocumented immigrants eventually affecting voting
Right. Some of the asylum seekers will be allowed to stay and may eventually become US citizens. Some will have babies who will also become US citizens. Some will even have babies while waiting for their asylum claims to be heard and those babies will be US citizens even if the parents' asylum claims fail and they are repatriated. All those US citizen babies will grow up and vote (we hope) some day. But you have no idea whatever how these new citizens will vote, or even what parties and candidates they will have to choose from. It seems a strange thing that anyone should be seriously concerned about

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And it will take decades before they could vote. That's how the time works.

What about young people who were born in the US and grew up here voting once they are adults is scary to you?
Stop putting words in my mouth. First someone said anchor babies now your deflection fell flat so you claim fear.? I’m just stating the facts

• Agree
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right. Some of the asylum seekers will be allowed to stay and may eventually become US citizens. Some will have babies who will also become US citizens. Some will even have babies while waiting for their asylum claims to be heard and those babies will be US citizens even if the parents' asylum claims fail and they are repatriated. All those US citizen babies will grow up and vote (we hope) some day. But you have no idea whatever how these new citizens will vote, or even what parties and candidates they will have to choose from. It seems a strange thing that anyone should be seriously concerned about
I only claimed they could vote. We don’t know how they will vote. It’s a risky strategy

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟178,443.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I only claimed they could vote. We don’t know how they will vote. It’s a risky strategy
It's a risky strategy with any US citizens: You don't know how they'll vote until they get in the booth and vote. There is always a risk that a US citizen will not vote conservative. Counting on a conservative vote would be a very poor strategy indeed--as would counting on a Democratic vote

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟311,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Stop putting words in my mouth. First someone said anchor babies now your deflection fell flat so you claim fear.? I’m just stating the facts

This thread is about the nutty notion that the surge of illegal immigration will distort our elections by altering the census count and therefore the apportionment of Congress and the electoral votes. The problem with this as noted in several posts by various posters is that this "surge" came *AFTER* the census of 2020 was taken so it would have exactly *ZERO* impact then we get things from posters about elections after the next census and the minor impact that would have on reapportionment, *AND* we get including from you, stuff about babies born to those immigrants. So I put the question to you again...

What does it matter who their parents were? How are the children of illegal immigrants any different than any other native born US citizen when they become eligible to vote at age 18? Or does it just not matter at all?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a risky strategy with any US citizens: You don't know how they'll vote until they get in the booth and vote. There is always a risk that a US citizen will not vote conservative. Counting on a conservative vote would be a very poor strategy indeed--as would counting on a Democratic vote
I don’t think anyone is counting on those kids being conservative

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟150,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is about the nutty notion that the surge of illegal immigration will distort our elections by altering the census count and therefore the apportionment of Congress and the electoral votes. The problem with this as noted in several posts by various posters is that this "surge" came *AFTER* the census of 2020 was taken so it would have exactly *ZERO* impact then we get things from posters about elections after the next census and the minor impact that would have on reapportionment, *AND* we get including from you, stuff about babies born to those immigrants. So I put the question to you again...

What does it matter who their parents were? How are the children of illegal immigrants any different than any other native born US citizen when they become eligible to vote at age 18? Or does it just not matter at all?
If they’re born here they can vote. I never said any different and I don’t think that is likely to ever change

Upvote 0