• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

I'll be the first topic here

Status
Not open for further replies.

BohemianChris

Mar 21, 2005
Deep Space
✟7,937.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm Chris and I'm eighteen. I'm diagnosed with either paranoid schizophrenia, or schizoaffective disorder bipolar type depending on the doctor you ask.

My last hospitlization, they said I was schizoaffective bipolar type. So, I'm not really sure. That doesn't matter much.

I currently take Abilify 15mg, Zyprexa 30mg and Perphenizine 16mg daily for schizophrenia. I'm also on anti-anxiety medicines, Klonopin and Valium.

If anyone has questions about schizophrenia, feel free to ask me, I'm very open about it.

Best,
Chris

BohemianChris

Mar 21, 2005
Deep Space
✟7,937.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
SugarMag said:
Brave Chris for posting first.

How are you doing on meds? Can you function ok on them?

To some extent. I have my good days and bad days, like everyone else. I am going to college again this year and I plan on completing 12 credits the first semester.

I haven't heard voices or seen things in about three months - since my last hospitliazation. So, the meds are working.

Best,
Chris

Upvote 0

New Creation

*Practise Promiscuous Charity*
Aug 4, 2003
Visit site
✟5,331.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
BohemianChris said:
I'm Chris and I'm eighteen. I'm diagnosed with either paranoid schizophrenia, or schizoaffective disorder bipolar type depending on the doctor you ask.

My last hospitlization, they said I was schizoaffective bipolar type. So, I'm not really sure. That doesn't matter much.

I currently take Abilify 15mg, Zyprexa 30mg and Perphenizine 16mg daily for schizophrenia. I'm also on anti-anxiety medicines, Klonopin and Valium.

If anyone has questions about schizophrenia, feel free to ask me, I'm very open about it.

Best,
Chris

Hi brother Chris,:wave:
I have some questions about schizophrenia. ACtually, they're more specifically about you and schizophrenia.
HOw old were you when you first noticed something going on with you?
What were your symptoms?
Was it very frightening?
HOw have your family and friends been through it?

God bless you brother- I hope you have a wonderful time in college and learn as much as you can. :) :cool:

Upvote 0

BohemianChris

Mar 21, 2005
Deep Space
✟7,937.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi

>I have some questions about schizophrenia. ACtually, they're more specifically about you and schizophrenia.

OK.

>HOw old were you when you first noticed something going on with you?

I was eleven when I was first put in a mental hospital for sucidal ideation. That's when I started hearing voices. They subsided until this year though.

I first started seeing lines coming off objects, then I saw men that I found out were the CIA, then I saw demons that try to convince me that I am the Antichrist.

>What were your symptoms?

Paranoia, hallucinations, delusions, and anxiety.

>Was it very frightening?

Extremely. I've been chased by the CIA and thrown down the stairs by the demons.

>HOw have your family and friends been through it?

My closest friend (and only friend), lives in Australia and also has schizoaffective disorder. My family just takes it one day at a time. It's not a big deal anymore, like it used to be since I'm stable now.

>God bless you brother- I hope you have a wonderful time in college and learn as much as you can.

Thanks. Me too.

Best,
Chris

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BohemianChris

Mar 21, 2005
Deep Space
✟7,937.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
WashedClean said:
Scientology? Sorry, I don't believe in that either. I was just curious if you had prayed for God to heal you through HIS power.

OK, good. I thought you were going in that direction. I've dealt with enough of them this summer to last a lifetime.

Yes, I've prayed about it, and they've been answered. He sent me to Four Winds Hospital, and while there, I became stable.

Best,
Chris

Upvote 0

pamaris

Aug 1, 2005
✟7,733.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have to tell you about my husband.

David was a young, talented retail interior designer in the UK. He was successful in his work, but heavily involved in the rave scene-- from about 1990 to 1998. He habitually used the drug ecstasy among many others. He also was not a Christian during this time; just thought he was a "good person". He had stopped heavily using drugs for a couple of years. Everything was going great-- he had just been promoted at work, had a beautiful new girlfriend, then one day he woke up and nothing made sense. He was paranoid; thought that the police were out to get him to frame him... at one point he thought his parents were robots from another planet... There were thousands of plots and sub plots within his thinking and he trusted no one. He was put in a mental hospital for paranoid schizophrenia, and one day he saw a picture of Jesus on the cross and he knew it was real. He became a Christian but after that, he still had to endure 2 more years of this demonic attack... It was jsut as severe, and It was constant, with the voices and everything... He even made himself homeless for awhile, walking the streets of Bristol in England eating out of trash cans, etc. He returned to his home home and then he met someone online who told him he was being oppressed by demons and he should come to America for deliverance. He didn't know what to make of what she was talking about but he was desperate. He was a shell of the person he used to be. He went to the church in America, stayed with the pastor, and got prayed for at a retreat, with hands laid on him... after 30 minutes or an hour of prayer the demons manifested themselves. He started screaming, convulsing and choking and eventually he threw up. Then the pastor said it is over, you are free. And he could feel the weight lift immediately. Everything was crystal clear. His thinking was finally his own! He stopped taking his medications (very strong meds) and has not been the same since. We met online just 2 months later, and got married 3 months after that. He went back to work, is good at what he does, and has a wife (me) and family now. He still has a "thorn in his side"-- just insecurity that ebbs and flows.

His diagnosis was either "paranoid schizophrenia" or "psychotic depression with paranoia" depending on the doctor. There are chemical imbalances and there is real demonic oppression. You may be experiencing one, the other, or both. I strongly believe it is demonic oppression, because voices do not come from a chemical imbalance. My husband was crippled by all the things you have experienced and he was set free. If you are interested in what he went through, and what his deliverance was like, I'll give you his email, just PM me.

Blessings

Penny

Upvote 0

pamaris

Aug 1, 2005
✟7,733.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have to tell you one more thing. You have got to get the book "Pigs in the Parlor" by Frank and Ida Mae Hammond. It is about deliverance from demons. There is a section about schizophrenia in there that is priceless. You will really see things in a different way after you read the book.

Upvote 0

Ssarl

Senior Veteran
Dec 7, 2004
✟10,083.00
Faith
Christian
Hi all,
Just discovered this section; and I'd like to step up and say that I am a former schizophrenic (former by the grace of God). I invite any questions people might have, because I know there was a whole lot about this I had no clue of until a year ago; and I invite Chris and anybody else who's suffering to chat with me if ever you want to. :)

I refer to myself as schizophrenic because it's the easiest fit; I too had many, many diagnoses (and I thank you guys for sharing that, I didn't realise this happens to others...). My symptoms were these (this is rather long... I'm afraid that's the deal with this disease).

- Headvoices. One of these has always clearly been me and this was not disputed. Another HATED me and abused me on a daily basis. The third would at times defend me against the attacks, as though it was somebody else stepping in on my behalf. The two which were not 'me' did at times fight while I was nothing more than an observer. Words cannot describe how frightening that was.

- Delusions. I would not speak about these, they would be in my head; sortof like a strange daydream that seemed a little too convincing, and would always serve to isolate me from the rest of the world. Things like nobody else in the world really exists outside my head; that I had psychokinetic powers, or that everybody else could read minds and I couldn't; that everybody else in the world had spontaneously vanished; that people were watching all I did (when alone) and thinking badly of me for it. These would come only very briefly, but would be utterly convincing at the time.

- Compulsions. I would *have* to do things; without any reward, but if I didn't do them I would feel very uncomfortable. Normally, these would be silly little things, not harmful in themselves or that anyone would notice. On occassion (such as in church) I would feel the compulsion to run away and do dangerous things; though I was always stopped and told to go home by a Headvoice after a time.

- Mood swings. My personality existed as a spectrum, with two extremes; one in which I simply had no interest in talking to anybody or doing anything, and I would look at the world as an utterly bleak place, and the other in which I was happy to the point of being absurdly hyperactive and nothing could bring me down. It was entirely possible to swing from high to low to high in the space of half an hour.

- Disorganised speech. My brain seems to work much faster than anybody else's (still does), and generally I am on multiple tracks at the same time. This meant any conversation with me would branch off into many, many tangents and it took quite a talent for my friends to keep up. My mind would also work in analogies, fitting together in a way I could never really explain to anyone else. I was fortunate though that I was still able to converse with people and be understood, and so I actually enjoyed this somewhat.

- Agitation - if given an external stress (such as schoolwork) I simply would not be able to sit down without great discomfort; I would pace for kilometres thinking about things very quickly. (This one did prove rather an effective way to study whilst getting some exercise!).

- Negative symptoms, basically meaning a lack of normal functions. I could not form a normal emotional response (attempts to make me have fun would generally fail) and would sometimes form abnormal ones (laughing for no readily discernable reason). For a long time, nobody could read my facial expressions. Sometimes I would just be unable to speak, it would be like trying to get out of bed first thing in the morning; it would be physically possible and I'd want to but it just wouldn't happen. Energy was often non-existent, though we never found any indication of physical illness; and I would often be completely de-motivated to do even my favourite things (never studying when I was a top student).

- Almost nonexistant social ability. I did not have friends at all for years, and when people were nice to me later on I just would not acknowledge it, would resist their attempts to spend time with me.

All of the above have been drastically reduced and are now mostly non-applicable; I'm at the level of 'rather prone to depression' rather than psychotic. One major symptom remains: the belief that I am the worst person in the world, and that for this I should be punished and hated by all. Though I find it utterly impossible to find anyone who agrees with this notion, I continue to guilt and punish myself, and I need to work through this with my God.

Reactions: New Creation
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ssarl

Senior Veteran
Dec 7, 2004
✟10,083.00
Faith
Christian
Now for my story:
I started exhibiting symptoms when I was very young (before 10) and I honestly didn't question it; I was just accustomed to it. Unfortunately, none of these symptoms were recognised until I was 18; only vague notions that I was in some way troubled had been picked up on before then. My parents failed completely to understand what was going on and unfortunately did a lot of harm by trying to punish me for my 'laziness'; they remain completely in denial of my having any illness. They're not monsters; quite shockingly ignorant, yes, but not monsters. I cannot stress how important it is to give this disease respect and not expect people to be able to 'snap' into normal function with a bit of faith and willpower! Victory in Christ will come when it comes; do not let your impatience dictate when it should happen.

Four years ago, at just under 15, I first came close to losing my life to this disease. Shortly after this, I was invited to a Christian rock concert and heard my first sermon, giving my life to Jesus Christ then and there (I'm not the hesitating type...).

God kept me alive for the next three years, though I still had no idea what was happening nor did anybody else. He started to give me the experience of having people care for me; although I utterly did not recognise, trust or particularly want it at this point.

At 18, just over a year ago, God stood by me as I hit rock bottom; having lost everything I valued other than God, I admitted I needed help at a prayer meeting. All I knew at this point was that I was depressed and wanted to die. He provided friends in my life at this point who have stuck by through the rather torturous twelve months that followed.

After the process of diagnosis and some trial-and-error with medication that I absolutely *hated* (it was all either too weak, or gave me *new* symptoms; to which I preferred the ones I already understood!), I decided that I was going to leave it up to God to heal me; I trusted no-one. I've prayed with my brothers and sisters in Christ against each problem, and one by one they have been removed.

The major psychotic symptoms were gone by last Christmas. I made a commitment that I would no longer contemplate suicide since January and have mostly been able to keep it. Mood swings vanished in April, and I had my first experience of being geniunely happy then (this is still something that is quire rare, but it does happen). People honestly cannot believe I was once asocial, it's not that uncommon to find that I need to *stop* going out and having fun in order to get some work done.

Now I would call myself troubled rather than diseased. I have real problems accepting God's love. I am still rather a person of extremes, a Bright And Happy Sadistic So-And-So, as I put it; and a total eccentric. I will most definately never be boring; but it's a whole different kettle of fish, being strange as opposed to completely unstable.

My days continue to range from utter brilliance to utter rubbish; often back-to-back; and there is still progress to be made (I must learn to accept His love for me!). I cope, with Him, and things improve. I make new breakthroughs around about every week; I have to fight for them every day but they are worth it. I'm starting to learn that I can trust Him and that He fights alongside me, which is wonderful :)

God is good. He is above all things. :)

Your brother in Christ,
Andrew

Upvote 0

puppy

loves you
Jul 8, 2004
scotland
Visit site
✟14,345.00
Faith
Anglican
hi chris

when you heard voices was it like someone talking to you, like a real person would if they were in the same room as you or more like when you have a thought ?

im not very good at wording what i mean but when i say thought i mean, if i were thirsty id be thinking and telling myself to go make a cup of tea

this is something ive been interested in for a while and you often see portrayals on tv of people will this illness, would you say they were accurate ? in particular 'beautiful mind' ive only seen the film, i know im bad i should read his book shouldnt i ? :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.