Mar 7, 2008
✟9,364.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So many things are brought to the surface when you drop your defensiveness. Sins you didn't believe were there are shown clearly. The real hurt of non-defensiveness is to your pride, because we would rather go on believing that we were okay than be exposed; ironic, because the exposure would allow us to be healed and to recover.

It's better to be laid bare before God than hold on to a secret that He knows about already. An impenitent heart is pointless because you are trying to keep something from God that He knows about already, and the guilt from the sin only accumulates as you keep it to yourself. David in Psalm 32 describes his impenitence like his bones wasting away. Yet God knows what the sin is already. Why hide? Is the light terrifying to you?

At times it is, even for the most solid Christians. We all to some degree are hardhearted, even the very best of Christians. I find that there's no room for pride in the presence of God. Pride has no place in the life of a Christian because it is not difficult to shatter once you take away its source of power. The believer finds himself wounded when he realizes just what he was made of, as opposed to what he really is, or what he really has.

True video. Why play defense against someone who's not trying to hurt you?

Reactions: gratefulgrace
Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
True video. Why play defense against someone who's not trying to hurt you?

I think the harder thing is to not play defense when someone is trying to hurt you.

Which is sometimes the case.

Either way, though, the video is right on. If I am being defensive, I am not being humble or Christlike.

Or teachable. That's so true.

I'd add that if I'm being defensive, I'm not able to teach effectively, either. An unteachable teacher is the most harmful to the students.

Also, I've noticed in my line of work that the more defensive a person is in attitude, the more likely the person is up to no good.

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Do you have scripture to back this up ?

Hi BereanStudent. :wave:

I like your user name. The Bereans were noble because they searched the Scripture themselves to see if it were true.

I'm not taking a dig at you for asking... just making a suggestion that it would be more beneficial for you to do the leg-work yourself. :)

ETA: I just realized I responded to a pretty old post. oops.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums