If an atheist converts, will he still end up in hell?

Matthewj1985

Oct 7, 2008
Texas
✟1,669.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So by definition an atheist (not agnostic) denies the existence of any supernatural forces and Gods in general. The Christian God is 3 Gods in 1, so if I as an atheist converted and was saved tomorrow, would I still go to hell?

I am talking about Matthew 12:31 by the way. I mean that is straight out of one of the 3 branches of the big man, I don't really see how you could get around this.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟767,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, you would not go to hell. There is the example of the thief on the cross (Luke 24:39-43) who repented directly to the Saviour & this is open to everyone from there on. Also, not all Christians feel that hell is an automatic for non Christians. We affirm that salvation is through our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ but cannot dare to assume where his mercy extends elsewhere. There is no universalist guarantee nor is there a guarantee of damnation. This may be better expressed through the Orthodox Church here: http://www.goarch.org/en/ourfaith/articles/article8089.asp

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Matthewj1985

Oct 7, 2008
Texas
✟1,669.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I was raised in the church and understand the "born again" process but that doesn't take into account Matthew 12:31 where JESUS himself says that the one unforgivable sin is to blaspheme the Holy Spirit. Denial of ALL supernatural forces, especially Gods would be blasphemy.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To gain understanding of Matt 12:31 you need to look earlier in the chapter as to why he stated what he did. In verse 24 the Pharisees accused Jesus's power/ability of healing the blind man as coming from 'the ruler of demons'.

In direct response to this accusation Jesus explains from verses 25 to 32 that it was one thing for them to slander him but to say that the power of the Holy Spirit was demonic was unforgivable.

Now in answer to your question, as soon as you realise that God exists and you 'convert' and repent of your sins, your slate is wiped clean. So no, you will not still go to hell.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟767,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
From where we stand it means deliberate acceptance of evil itself not ignorance of God since the Holy Spirit can work in those who do not know Christ. If non Christians do good how can Satan cast out Satan? Have to go now & cannot continue discussion (if you want to) til tomorrow. God bless.

Upvote 0

Lotuspetal_uk

Say 'CHEESE!!!!'
Jan 26, 2003
Good Ole' Blighty!
Visit site
✟87,683.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So saying his name in vain is blasphemy but he denying his existence is not? That seems like having your cake and eating it too.
Not at all.

The context to take this in would be a believer witnessing what Jesus did but attributing it to satan, just because Jesus has taken them outside of their established comfort zone to where they pridefully stand by their POV even though they know it's wrong.

Now compare that to a person not knowing who Jesus was (not knowing what he's done etc), saying he's a liar but on realising who he actually was, sincerely regrets his first remark and apologises to him.

The former has blasphemed, as shown by how Jesus described those Pharisees who accused Him in verses 34-37.

The latter - in response to receiving additional information - regretted and corrected their stance on being better informed.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟244,038.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So by definition an atheist (not agnostic) denies the existence of any supernatural forces and Gods in general. The Christian God is 3 Gods in 1, so if I as an atheist converted and was saved tomorrow, would I still go to hell?

I am talking about Matthew 12:31 by the way. I mean that is straight out of one of the 3 branches of the big man, I don't really see how you could get around this.
Denying the existence of God and attributing the work of God's Spirit to Satan (which is what Jesus is referring to in Matthew 12:31) are two different things.

Both things, though, are, in a sense, unforgivable. To both atheist and blasphemer God says "Jesus is the Way to Me." The atheist responds, "Jesus is not the Son of God. There is no God." The blasphemer replies, "Jesus is of the devil." Both atheist and blasphemer by virtue of the negative way they view God's Son place themselves beyond the saving effect of Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross. In this condition they are "unforgivable". Not, however, because God refuses to forgive them, but because they refuse by their rejection of Christ to be forgiven.

Peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens

Matthew 12:31 is usually taken to mean that when one is rejecting the Holy Spirit one is rejecting the very means of forgiveness and reconciliation. While one does so it is (quite literally) unforgivable.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟175,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Your definition of the Trinity isn't correct. It isn't three Gods in one. There is only one God. God is one in essence and Triune in three Persons (or Hypostases). The Church pronounces in its liturgical confession: "I confess the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, Trinity consubstantial and undivided".

Regarding your misconception about what the scripture in question means: One must realize that the people this passage refers to were Pharisees, who claimed to believe in and follow God (they knowingly rejected what they knew to be true and embraced evil). Unless an atheist is lying about God existing (meaning they truly believe in God), and then further, rejects the Holy Spirit as being Satanic (which they would also have to be lying about not believing in), I don't see how an atheist could truly commit the unpardonable sin.

[FONT=&quot] Matthew 12:31-32 (NKJV)

31 "Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men.
32 "Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or the age to come.

From the commentary in The Orthodox Study Bible (p.35):
"12:32 Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is blasphemy against the divine activity of the Spirit--the accusation that Jesus healed the demoniac by demonic power (v.24) rather than by the power of the Holy Spirit (v. 28; see Mark 3:29, 30). Every sin against the Son of Man can be forgiven, because the Jews do not yet know much about Him. But blasphemy against the Spirit, whose divine activity they know from the OT, will not be forgiven. This blasphemy is willful hardness of heart. It attributes the saving action of the Spirit to Satan and refuses to accept God's forgiveness and mercy."

So, in a nutshell, if a person can be worried enough to fret about it, then they haven't committed the unforgivable sin. In other words, there is hope for such a person. Those blasphemy challenge individuals you see all over the internet are missing the point. [/FONT]

Also, where are you getting the idea that conversion equals immediate salvation? I'm assuming you're referring to the idea that a person simply confesses a belief, says a little prayer, and then they're good to go. This is not an idea that is espoused by the Church. We must turn from sin daily and follow Him.

Matthew 24:13
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Mark 13:13
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Matthew 10:22
You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HandmaidenOfGod

Christ is Risen! Indeed He is Risen!
Sep 11, 2004
✟23,269.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Also, where are you getting the idea that conversion equals immediate salvation? I'm assuming you're referring to the idea that a person simply confesses a belief, says a little prayer, and then they're good to go. This is not an idea that is espoused by the Church. We must turn from sin daily and follow Him.

Matthew 24:13
But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Mark 13:13
And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Matthew 10:22
You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.

I agree completely with Seshale said, and I just wanted to build upon the above point. The steps to salvation are as follows:

a) Believe
b) Repent
c) Be baptised in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit
d) Continue to walk in the faith

Every second of every day is a struggle and a choice as to whether we follow God or man. It is not enough to just believe. We have to live our faith.

For as St. James says,
What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

Likewise, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out another way?

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:14-26

Reactions: seashale76
Upvote 0