If a priest says the sacraments are charismatic and you don't need the renewal?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟255,424.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
What do you do if a priest or bishop says you do not need the renewal because the sacraments are charismatic? Who then does healing masses, but does not even pray in tongues? I know one who says you are born again when you are baptised. And other things.

ChesterKhan

No, Emotions are not a good reason!
Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What do you do if a priest or bishop says you do not need the renewal because the sacraments are charismatic? Who then does healing masses, but does not even pray in tongues? I know one who says you are born again when you are baptised. And other things.

He sounds like an anti-Charismatic. Such things, I'm afraid, are rampant.

Nevertheless, he is correct in a sense. You receive God Himself when you receive the Sacraments. You don't technically need the Charismatic Renewal. The Renewal is just a devotion, a take-it-or-leave-it part of the Church. Just because he is not a Charismatic does not mean he has no authority to speak about the sacraments.

And to be a faithful Catholic, you do not need the Renewal. It can be efficacious to salvation, but so can a thousand other things.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
you are born again when you are baptized

St. Paul's Epistle to the Romans was read at Mass on November 2
here is an a quote from chapter 6:3
Brothers and sisters:
Are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus
were baptized into his death?
We were indeed buried with him through baptism into death,
so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead
by the glory of the Father,
we too might live in newness of life

Upvote 0

ChesterKhan

No, Emotions are not a good reason!
Jul 28, 2014
Omaha, NE, USA
✟7,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The late Father Emeliano Tardiff M.S.C. taught that we need a balance of the sacraments and charisms.

We need the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit unites both the Sacraments and charisms, as the Catechism notes, and we ought to look out for our charisms.

But this historically does not necessarily mean only the Charismatic Renewal as such, but rather any gift of God, particularly the spiritual gifts of God, His graces.

So one's charisms are the sacraments, as well as the gifts and tools God gives to you to accomplish your mission on Earth, as well as any extraordinary manifestations of the Holy Ghost He may give - i.e, the Renewal.

So, you see, charisms are broader than speaking in tongues or interpreting them, or those other special gifts. They can include an increased faith, or a gift of wisdom, or prophecy. The Supreme charism is that of Holy Orders, which not only is a sacrament, but that through which Christ works most powerfully.

Upvote 0