I prayed and several others prayed that my Grandma wouldn't die. And she still died. Why is this???

johnny_mk1

Jan 28, 2022
Hamilton
✟7,844.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, if this goes against the rules. I just don't know who to talk about this. I don't understand. I'm absolutely shocked right now. I prayed my Grandma wouldn't succumb to the fight against Covid 19. How come she still died??? Many people were praying that she would survive. I don't understand? Why didn't God answer our prayers? She didn't die naturally, she died from a horrible disease. I'm really starting to question my faith.

Vesper_Jaye✝️

Truth-Seeker
Dec 29, 2021
the Kingdom of God
✟19,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God doesn’t always answer yes to prayers. Sometimes he answers no. People die from disease because of sin. If God healed everyone who was sick, we wouldn’t have consequences for sin. My Grandpa was very strong in his faith and he died from brain cancer, so I know what it’s like to lose a loved one to sickness. If your grandma was a Christian, she’s in Heaven now, happier than she ever could have been on earth.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟943,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, if this goes against the rules. I just don't know who to talk about this. I don't understand. I'm absolutely shocked right now. I prayed my Grandma wouldn't succumb to the fight against Covid 19. How come she still died??? Many people were praying that she would survive. I don't understand? Why didn't God answer our prayers? She didn't die naturally, she died from a horrible disease. I'm really starting to question my faith.
Welcome to CF. I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. When we pray , it is always with the understanding that our pleas may not be in God's will. I know it is difficult to accept that God's will may not line up with our will. I do hope you find the strength to hold on to your faith.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Ed Parenteau

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
San Bernardino, CA
✟452,140.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your grandmother got to know you as a believer, whereas I got to meet only 1 grandparent, my grandmother on my mother's side 1 time when she came from the Netherlands to see us. I was high as a kite and have regretted that ever since. I am guessing your grandmother's prayers were answered concerning you becoming a Christian. Hold on to that and those loving memories you have with her. Believe me, it is a gift from God.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am truly sorry that you are experiencing the grief of the loss of your grandmother at this time.

I am 62 years old at this time. In my lifetime, I have lost both parents, 3 grandparents, friends, colleagues, etc. My father died in 2020, my mother in 2016, and my mother-in-law in 2015.

I think that part of the answer to your question ... is that we are not destined by God to remain in this world (as it is) together. We pass through this life, ... which means that, at some point, we have to leave ... and we have to experience our loved ones leaving.

I have come to an acceptance of this ... basically, because of LOVE. It would not be loving to leave us and our loved ones in this world forever. There is too much evil here ... God has said that it is not good to leave people in this world for too long.

As my loved ones passed on, I learned to cherish the loving times I had spent with them ... that I loved ... and was loved by them. That will never go away. Love will always persist. Love ... is the reason that our hearts grieve when our loved ones pass on.

It is our assignment ... to love ... and to be loved ... while we are in this world. We are called to show the love of God to our loved-ones ... and to our neighbors.

God tells us to pray to Him for what we want. But God will not do what is not good ... just because we ask for it. God loves our loved ones too ... and He knows that it is good for them, at some point, to come home to be with Him.

God witnessed His own Son dying on a cross. Of course, He knew, that at some point in the future, they would be reunited.

Fortunately, God has also promised that we will see our loved-ones again, and our lives there will be even better than it is now.

So ... grieve for your loved-ones, but also look forward to seeing them again. And continue to show God's love in the world ... as even God does Himself.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Isaiah 57:1 "The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come."

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Forgive me and so sorry for your loss. I am not here to add to confusion. No one here can say anything for we do not know her at all. If I ask man... man will give me tons of reasons. What I would do? Go to God/Christ tell them exactly I mean tell Him exactly how you feel. :) Trust me He can take it. And then ASK WHY.. now KNOW He hears you know He will give you answer.. He loves you.. trust me Grandma is VERY VERY VERY VERY Happy. She knows how much you miss her. Don't let the enemy come in and steal your faith.

What we can not change is Satan as Christ said is the god of this world. So sorry for your loss

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟711,970.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Dying from disease is a natural death.

I know death is painful and no one wants to face the loss of a loved one, but if she is your grandmother then she lived a good long life. If you prayed and she still passed on, then it was simply her time to go home and be with the Lord.

Every single one of us will die someday. You, me, even my own grandchildren.. 100% of the Earth's population dies... No avoiding that. But you may rest in the knowledge that she is with the Lord. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟381,952.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry that happened.

All of my grandparents have passed.

I don't know why God didn't give her more time in this world to be with you and your family, in spite of your prayers. I too, have prayed for people to get better and not die, but they died anyway. At least one of the two was not faithfully following Christ, either. I will either see this person in Heaven again, or I won't. Nothing that I can do, say, think, or pray right now can change that.

All that being said, none of Christianity depends on all of my prayers or all of your prayers being answered favorably to be true. God existed before we did, before our grandparents did, before the human race did, before the Earth and the universe did. He didn't answer every prayer that was offered to him favorably in the days that Scripture was being written either. Israel was invaded and enslaved so many times. Yet he still existed, and worship of him rightly persisted.

Jesus died, that was witnessed. He rose again, and appeared to many people in different places who affirmed it. That happened well before our grandparents were born, and before the people we prayed for died. The fact of his resurrection does not change just because our prayers did not get the answers we deeply wanted. The martyrs understood this. Prayers by them and by others on their behalf for their rescue, when that was prayed for, didn't get that kind of answer either. Yet, Jesus still rose from the grave, and will still come again, and this was the hope the martyrs held onto.

Christianity is still true. The thing to do is hold on, and mourn, and carry on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟954,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
All parents say no from time. They don’t grant every request. Do you doubt their love when you’re denied or accept they had other things in mind?

God is no different. Give Him your pain and uncertainty. He knows you’re hurting and understands.

Upvote 0

Svt4Him

Legend
Site Supporter
Oct 23, 2003
Visit site
✟53,618.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Humans like answers and patterns. Then we think if we can't find one, then it's somehow God's fault. My 17 year old son died a little over 2 years ago. I prayed for him when he was growing up. Maybe I could say what did God allow that to happen but I'd rather just ask how good can come of it. God is good. He's not only good when we are blessed. It makes you reread the book of Job a bit different. He lost all his kids. Couldn't imagine. When when he asked God why, again and again, do you remember what God said? He said He was wise, He was powerful, He was God, but He never answered Job as to why. Sadly Christianism wants it to make sense in their minds, and sometimes it just doesn't. Doesn't change who God is though.

Attachments

• 64683817_1773401512763084_132345710669463552_n.jpg
    64683817_1773401512763084_132345710669463552_n.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 20
Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is always sorrowful to lose a loved-one, but God says: 'there is a time to be born and a time to die'; and that is ALL in our Creator God's hands. The death of one may not be a judgment against that one (as some people suppose), but may be using such a one to help others turn to their Creator, or to avoid some worse condition about to come upon them; etc. We don't know, but we MUST know that our Creator-God NEVER makes a mistake, and truly owns our souls ---i.e: He can do as He sees as needed and always does the RIGHT thing in caring for His people (a thing for rebellious souls to remember, and bow to God while we have time).
We know (or should know) that a real "born again" saint (as John 3:16) is safe and now in Heaven. Let us be comforted if one dies in peace and not suffering greatly, and we need to examine our own relationship with our God (see John 3; John 14; Romans 8; etc.)

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: Nettle
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

It's hard to accept this in a time of grief, but prayer is not guaranteed to produce the result we want at the time. It is a petition to God, and it can make a difference, but in the clutch it is God who knows what he has in mind, and in his wisdom this may have been simply the time he was calling your grandma home to her eternal reward.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lonnie Ray

Jun 25, 2022
Springfield IL
Visit site
✟10,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am truly sorry that you are experiencing the grief of the loss of your grandmother at this time.

I am 62 years old at this time. In my lifetime, I have lost both parents, 3 grandparents, friends, colleagues, etc. My father died in 2020, my mother in 2016, and my mother-in-law in 2015.

I think that part of the answer to your question ... is that we are not destined by God to remain in this world (as it is) together. We pass through this life, ... which means that, at some point, we have to leave ... and we have to experience our loved ones leaving.

I have come to an acceptance of this ... basically, because of LOVE. It would not be loving to leave us and our loved ones in this world forever. There is too much evil here ... God has said that it is not good to leave people in this world for too long.

As my loved ones passed on, I learned to cherish the loving times I had spent with them ... that I loved ... and was loved by them. That will never go away. Love will always persist. Love ... is the reason that our hearts grieve when our loved ones pass on.

It is our assignment ... to love ... and to be loved ... while we are in this world. We are called to show the love of God to our loved-ones ... and to our neighbors.

God tells us to pray to Him for what we want. But God will not do what is not good ... just because we ask for it. God loves our loved ones too ... and He knows that it is good for them, at some point, to come home to be with Him.

God witnessed His own Son dying on a cross. Of course, He knew, that at some point in the future, they would be reunited.

Fortunately, God has also promised that we will see our loved-ones again, and our lives there will be even better than it is now.

So ... grieve for your loved-ones, but also look forward to seeing them again. And continue to show God's love in the world ... as even God does Himself.

I'm truly sorry for your loss I hope that this reply finds you in good graces.
This is a hard dilemma for most to understand, I know it was for me many years ago, but I have since come to understand many things about the Word and this world. Guess we must all eventually die. Having someone die that we love is hard we feel tremendous loss, sadness and anger. It took me a long time to understand the state of this world after the fall. Jesus Christ came to save us from our sins not from what we feel. To be a firm believer in God, Christ, the crucifixion and with all that comes scripture We must also firmly believe in Satan. And to hate what he stands for, does and manipulates in this world. Sickness being just one. Satan Rules Earth and want's you to be mad at God so many are blinded to the real cause of suffering. But God gave us the sacrifice of his Son and the power of the Holy Spirit that we might claim this power over the Princess and principalities of the air so we may not be deceived. My2Cents

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2022
East Sussex
✟19,288.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
YOur right you prayed your will, desire, etc. Our Father is honoured by hearing our prayer needs.
Check the story of Manasseh who asked for a life extension & caused a bloody mess.
God doesn’t want anyone’s death, He conquered it on the cross.
So now with fresh eyes has Jesus showed you good & have you looked for it???

Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Similar happened to me.
Basically what do you do when your faith tells you one thing and the reality is another?

I had to rebuild my faith by accepting the reality.
I realised if I lost my faith when I didn't get what I prayed for - that my faith is basically based on getting what I want.
I had to build a new faith that accepted I wouldn't always get what I want from God.
I also realised that getting what I want isn't such a great thing all the time.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am sorry for your loss.

I believe God, when he does not answer our prayers, has perfect reasons for doing so. We may not know why God chose to do it that way. Many times we do not. That does not stop God from being God.

Take comfort, child of God. Do not let the fact God did not answer your prayers this time to mean he does not exist or that he never answers "Yes," to our prayers.

Job 1:20–22 ESV
“Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head and fell on the ground and worshiped. And he said, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return. The LORD gave, and the LORD has taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD.” In all this Job did not sin or charge God with wrong.”

Upvote 0