• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

"I have overcome the world.”

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33

A key attainment across religions and philosophies is peace of heart that is not diminished by what happens in life. 'Equanimity" is one of the closest words to define it. Equanimity - Wikipedia

It requires surrender and acceptance. I think this must be a life long process because at 68 I am just beginning to make some progress. It requires detachment, forbearance, patience, letting go.

How are you doing with it. I seem to go in cycles.

Reactions: ari.sketch

mourningdove~

"Pray, and prepare ..."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2005
✟454,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No one wants to change? Overcome the world?

Oh I definitely do! (Anxiety is not a 'friend' I wish to keep around!)

When we talk about peace of heart, I believe we are also talking about keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus ...
and not so much the things of this world.

As Catholics, we are blessed to have ways to deliberately focus on Him.
I am especially thinking daily Mass, and Eucharistic adoration ...

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh I definitely do! (Anxiety is not a 'friend' I wish to keep around!)

When we talk about peace of heart, I believe we are also talking about keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus ...
and not so much the things of this world.

As Catholics, we are blessed to have ways to deliberately focus on Him.
I am especially thinking daily Mass, and Eucharistic adoration ...
Right, we need it all to stay focused. Liturgy of the Hours also

• Useful
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’m new to it all having only recently been born again in to Christ our saviour. I am suddenly detached from earthly things, my desire for material and monetary gain have suddenly gone, my desire for the sin of earth, is gone. These things I have left behind and my thoughts of them are numb.I am consumed by the living of Christ the man, Christ the mentor, advisor, carer, lover, father, mother………he is constantly in my mind, this where I feel that “I have overcome the world” not I as in me, but my spiritual heart and soul, only by the grace of Jesus Christ.

Reactions: ari.sketch
Upvote 0

ari.sketch

Aug 14, 2023
Daejeon
✟14,889.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm going through a difficult time in life at the moment ... sure could be nice to have that peace of God ... it comes and goes.

In the process I am learning to increase my faith, it's been a huge battle, one that I almost lose or gave up on numerous occasions ... just trying to hold on onto Him at the moment and believing in His promises,
but not gonna lie, it ain't easy peasy lemon squeezy

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm going through a difficult time in life at the moment ... sure could be nice to have that peace of God ... it comes and goes.

In the process I am learning to increase my faith, it's been a huge battle, one that I almost lose or gave up on numerous occasions ... just trying to hold on onto Him at the moment and believing in His promises,
but not gonna lie, it ain't easy peasy lemon squeezy
No, and I try to change my body's reaction to things I don't like or want. What if I could just relax when my body gets angry or tense.

Upvote 0