NW England
✟796,725.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I've posted on the Prayer Wall, and can understand how upsetting losing family things can be. Also frustrating when you take your computer for repair and it comes back minus your important docs. I've had a computer come back unusable as far as I was concerned - it wasn't but I hadn't a clue what to do, so I bought a new one. Can't remember about the docs. So when you get to Stark Raving Mad you'll probably find me there!

I'm praying that you'll get your docs back. Did you have any back up? Maybe send copies of family docs to your daughter in future? (I know that's stable door and horse bolting! - do you have that expression in the States?) Again I feel for you. Maybe they've been saved to the Cloud, whatever that is. Please let us know what happens.:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I've posted on the Prayer Wall, and can understand how upsetting losing family things can be. Also frustrating when you take your computer for repair and it comes back minus your important docs. I've had a computer come back unusable as far as I was concerned - it wasn't but I hadn't a clue what to do, so I bought a new one. Can't remember about the docs. So when you get to Stark Raving Mad you'll probably find me there!
Thanks for the chuckle.

I'm praying that you'll get your docs back. Did you have any back up?
No one taught me how.

Maybe send copies of family docs to your daughter in future? (I know that's stable door and horse bolting! - do you have that expression in the States?)
Ha! Ha! I've never heard that expression.

Again I feel for you. Maybe they've been saved to the Cloud, whatever that is. Please let us know what happens.:)
My daughter might take the computer in for me on Tuesday.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟796,725.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Oh I understand about the "no-one taught me how"! Would your daughter show you how to back up? I hope they can find your docs.

Computers can do marvellous things, but they can't allow for human behaviour. Years ago, at work, a colleague called me to say I needed to go over to his department to look at a new computer system they had set up. He'd put in on Doris's computer. He was going into a meeting but I'd find it there. It was Friday, about 4pm, and all his staff had gone home (we worked flexitime), so I sat at Doris's computer and tried to make sense of the screen. After messing about for a bit I couldn't see what I was looking for. Another guy came in and I told him that I was told that what I needed was on Doris's computer. He walked straight to Sue's computer and there it was. Sue and Doris had changed desks and no-one had told me!

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Closing the barn door after the horse is gone. ;)
Oh, I haven't heard that one either! My mother's most common expression was "Knock on wood," which I thought was bizarre.

Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Oh, I haven't heard that one either! My mother's most common expression was "Knock on wood," which I thought was bizarre.

It basically means too little too late. I tried to find some info on its origin. Appears to be English from as far back as the 1100s and can be said in a variety of ways, like rebornfree's comment. Maybe it's more of a southern saying in the US.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It basically means too little too late. I tried to find some info on its origin. Appears to be English from as far back as the 1100s and can be said in a variety of ways, like rebornfree's comment. Maybe it's more of a southern saying in the US.
The relatives I'm familiar with had German ancestors, and I don't remember that sort of thing anyway, except "It's snowing down south" means a woman's slip is showing below her hemline. And "I have a bone to pick with you."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
So sorry to hear that. I've lost files before when a hard drive died. A good thing to do is keep them backed up on a flash drive. And if something pops up and says you have a virus, exit the page immediately. Most of the time it's a scam of some sort.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So sorry to hear that. I've lost files before when a hard drive died. A good thing to do is keep them backed up on a flash drive. And if something pops up and says you have a virus, exit the page immediately. Most of the time it's a scam of some sort.
I tried to exit, but my computer didn't let me. The shop told me to unplug the tower so I did that. I don't know what a flash drive is and no one will explain it to me. My word perfect has the folders I want but when I click on them, I get a message "...Already exists. Replace?"

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟796,725.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
My daughter brought the computer back. :( No explanation, no Word Perfect. I wonder what they did. :(
Sounds odd! I think computer experts expect the user to have a similar degree of knowledge as they do, so they hand us back the machine and expect us just to get on with it!

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟796,725.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I tried to exit, but my computer didn't let me. The shop told me to unplug the tower so I did that. I don't know what a flash drive is and no one will explain it to me. My word perfect has the folders I want but when I click on them, I get a message "...Already exists. Replace?"
Does it give you an option to 'open'? If not, could you phone the shop while on the screen so you can tell them what you see and they can talk you through the procedure?

I think a flash drive is a device you can plug in and save documents to it. (Older computers had disks.) Then you remove the drive WHEN IT TELLS YOU TO - that's very important, you could corrupt the files if you remove it too soon - and if your computer gets sick you have your files safe on the drive to open when it's repaired (or after you've killed it and got a new one!).

But who am I to tell you about computers? I'm just another exasperated user (or have been) so I hope I'm not misleading you. Really I think the shop should help more. Also other CF members could help if you post it as a computer question, but I remember from a previous occasion that they talk in incomprehensible terms although their intentions are well meant.

Oh btw in Stark Raving Mad we might not understand technology but we can add up without using a calculator and write properly without spelling check or grammarly! :)

Upvote 0

godisagardener

Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟66,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Does it give you an option to 'open'? If not, could you phone the shop while on the screen so you can tell them what you see and they can talk you through the procedure?

I think a flash drive is a device you can plug in and save documents to it. (Older computers had disks.) Then you remove the drive WHEN IT TELLS YOU TO - that's very important, you could corrupt the files if you remove it too soon - and if your computer gets sick you have your files safe on the drive to open when it's repaired (or after you've killed it and got a new one!).

But who am I to tell you about computers? I'm just another exasperated user (or have been) so I hope I'm not misleading you. Really I think the shop should help more. Also other CF members could help if you post it as a computer question, but I remember from a previous occasion that they talk in incomprehensible terms although their intentions are well meant.

Oh btw in Stark Raving Mad we might not understand technology but we can add up without using a calculator and write properly without spelling check or grammarly! :)

That's exactly what a flash drive is. You can buy them anywhere. Walmart or Amazon have some for around $10 that will hold as much as some computers. It plugs into one of the "wide" slots on the back or front of the computer (like the slots where a monitor might be plugged). Files of any kind can be backed up to it, moved, copied, grabbed and dropped, etc. It's about the size of a small matchbox maybe.

Truly important files should be backed up somewhere.

Rescued One, your daughter should be able to show you how to use the flash drive. But you'd be able to figure it out yourself, I think. ;) My husband uses them to save his genealogy stuff and he admits to not being computer savvy. Or cell phone even!

The computer place should be more helpful. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟796,725.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
That's exactly what a flash drive is. You can buy them anywhere. Walmart or Amazon have some for around $10 that will hold as much as some computers. It plugs into one of the "wide" slots on the back or front of the computer (like the slots where a monitor might be plugged). Files of any kind can be backed up to it, moved, copied, grabbed and dropped, etc. It's about the size of a small matchbox maybe.

Truly important files should be backed up somewhere.

Rescued One, your daughter should be able to show you how to use the flash drive. But you'd be able to figure it out yourself, I think. ;) My husband uses them to save his genealogy stuff and he admits to not being computer savvy. Or cell phone even!

The computer place should be more helpful. :(
Thank you for your confirmation of my understanding of a flash drive and for explaining it in layman's terms. :)
Computer place is excellent! Word Perfect is archaic!
So you think that it's the software which lost your files?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
So you think that it's the software which lost your files?
I'm not very knowledgeable about technology, but I talked to someone who is, and he couldn't retrieve my missing info. He spent a lengthy amount of time and patience with me. You might say I believe this is how God answered our prayers.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟796,725.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
I'm not very knowledgeable about technology, but I talked to someone who is, and he couldn't retrieve my missing info. He spent a lengthy amount of time and patience with me. You might say I believe this is how God answered our prayers.
That's comforting to believe that God is patient with us.I believe that He is too.

It was nice of that guy to help you get your files but it's a pity that he couldn't retrieve them.

Upvote 0