Visit site
✟15,679.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I spoke with a pastor friend of mine. He says the most important thing for you to do, is pray and read your bible every day. There's still no guarantee you will ever be a pastor. It is a calling and not just something you decide to do one day. If you truly feel a calling from God, I say go for it. Study, pray, and read your bible. I pray for your success in whatever God has for you.:prayer:

Upvote 0

Ptilinopus

May 1, 2007
Parkes NSW
✟15,810.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Blessed!

I relate to your desire to be a pastor. I decided at age 9 to be a minister - and from then on, I never doubted it; all my high school studies, all my work, was aimed in that direction. As soon as I completed high school I applied for, and started theology training. Three years later, I realised that I did not fit my concept of a minister. I completed my degree in theology, but did not enter ministry - I took further studies and entered teaching - and later nursing (then taught nursing in mission service in Africa for 7 years). More career changes until 5 years ago, the Lord spoke to me in meditation time, to tell me, "You've been running away long enough. I want you to come back to your first calling." I obeyed, and have been in ministry now for 4½ years, and though I entered it late, have never regretted it.

Why the long tale? Don't doubt your desire to follow the Lord; He promises to guide our paths if we are willing to submit to His leading (Prov.3:5,6). He may lead you to ministry directly, He may lead you via a detour (as He did me). In my case, looking back, I can see I was not ready to be a minister - dogmatic, argumentative, cocky, full of myself - no, the Lord needed to knock a few corners off before He could use me in ministry. Meanwhile, He used me in other areas.

So pray, study His Word, and submit to His will. Plan ahead, choose your high school studies to give you a solid grounding in English (and other languages if you wish), Bible, clear and logical thinking, writing and speaking, balanced with other general subjects. Check out the ministry training colleges that would qualify you to serve in ministry. Plan ahead - but always keep your plans before the Lord, and subject to His approval. God bless you Blessed! I'll pray for you.

Upvote 0

Godslilgurlalways

I am a Child of the King:)
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2005
Earth now heaven later
✟67,365.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I spoke with a pastor friend of mine. He says the most important thing for you to do, is pray and read your bible every day. There's still no guarantee you will ever be a pastor. It is a calling and not just something you decide to do one day. If you truly feel a calling from God, I say go for it. Study, pray, and read your bible. I pray for your success in whatever God has for you.:prayer:
agreed:)

Upvote 0

david01

Senior Veteran
Jul 6, 2007
✟11,221.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I can understand your puzzlement given the fact that the Bible itself says nothing about how to become a pastor. In fact, the word is only used three times in the Greek New Testament and the only offices in the church in the New Testatment are those of elder (or overseer or bishop) and deacon (or servant). Elders are commanded to shepherd (pastor) in I Peter, but the New Testament never speaks of a church having a pastor as we know it today.

If you want to become a professional clergyman, then by all means, prepare yourself toward that goal and go to seminary. However, don't expect God to somehow mirculously reveal to you anything more than He has revealed in His inerrant Word, the Bible. In regard to pastor, don't take my word or anyone else's, but look it up yourself with a good concordance.

Upvote 0

Ptilinopus

May 1, 2007
Parkes NSW
✟15,810.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
david01's comment on the few times "pastor" is mentioned in the Bible plays down the fact that "pastor" is simply another word for "shepherd". Check out references in the Bible to shepherd, flock, feed my sheep, feed my lambs, under-shepherd, and you will perceive a different picture. And the concept described as "elder" is consistent with being a shepherd to the God's flock - i.e. caring for and nurturing a congregation. The word "overseer" ("bishop" in some translations) has the same connotation. Overseer (bishop) did not originally refer to a boss-clergyman as now used, but to a shepherd who watched over the flock. And there is ample scriptural evidence that in New Testament times, elders (pastors, bishops, overseers) were appointed in church groups as a matter of course. So pastoral care in a church group is entirely Bibical. How it is used may vary in different church bodies.

Upvote 0

BreadAlone

Hylian Knight
Aug 11, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Visit site
✟21,772.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
For sometime this past year I really felt as if God might be leading me on towards the Pastoral ministry..however at this point I'm thinking not so much anymore. Though I'm caught between my not knowing if I'm really not meant to be a Pastor, or if I just don't WANT to be. Plus there's the 8 or so extra years of schooling I'd have to undergo..:o

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
J

JosephOrtiz

Well fellow pks its a weird feeling. To be told by God your going to be a pastor. And then to look at how your father lives and does things and other pastors and this and that.You get this feeling of noooooooo wayyy.For years people have been telling me your going to be a pastor just like your dad.We all know (every pk knows)that members of the church say that all the time to the pk when they do something good for the church.Or help out a family on there own.Like visit the sick or elderly or something with out your parents. Well point being God lets you know and he shapes our life in a way to get ready for this purpose. Why I find it important to know this as a pk?Because we are living in crazy times. And us as pk has been trained since birth about the ministry. I am sorry if this might make you take a gulp but if we like it or not!Since birth!We been trained for something in that area lol. So the person who post this pk or not. You wanna become a pastor i say You go and do it.You prepare your self preach the word of god.Prepare your preaching with extensive life changing messages. Learn about situations that the pastors have to deal with.Learn about how the church money works.What are the church biggest bills.Insurance all things church.Learn about how pastors decide how to appoint officials. Learn the bible inside and out. Learn about how pastors deal with members and what advice do they give to there flock. When it comes to cheating marriage drugs you can name a whole bunch of things learn how pastors deal with it. Did I say learn the bible inside and out :D

Upvote 0

pressingon17

Oct 20, 2007
Nor Cal
✟12,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well,I'm pursuing my calling and now I'm Interning under my youth pastor.They feel such a calling on my life that they have offered me a junior high youth pastor position when they start a seperate junior high group that's not with the high school students.I feel God is leading me and I'm going to Bible College next fall.

Upvote 0