Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What if your pastor doesn't seem to care..like he's too busy or unavailable?
Who would be my local church leaders? My home group leaders? My ladies bible study?

What about Jesus? Doesn't he have a say?
Why is it only male? Is it wrong for me to help with Sunday School since I am looking after sheep there?

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if your pastor doesn't seem to care..like he's too busy or unavailable?
Who would be my local church leaders? My home group leaders? My ladies bible study?

What about Jesus? Doesn't he have a say?
Why is it only male? Is it wrong for me to help with Sunday School since I am looking after sheep there?
Schedule an appointment with your Pastor. I am sure you can do this no matter how busy he may be. Also speak with the elders, deacons, or whatever formal officers exist within your church. What denomination, if any, is your church affiliated with? Your denomination likely has a main web site that will have information about ordination requirements.

Nothing wrong with helping in Sunday School. But the topic is one of an ordained pastor who wants to become a Chaplain to secular organizations. As I have stated, there are formal requirements for pastors in Scripture.

I will not debate the matter of female preachers in this forum. Per what I believe Scripture teaches, I am a firm complementarian, not egalitarian on the matter of the roles of men and women.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have no idea what a complementation is.
I started the topic and it has nothing to do with pastor ordination. It was for ordinary people wanting to be chaplains, in response to an ad calling for them.
I have already scheduled an appointment and like I said it was cancelled/postponed twice already.
I am not trying to start a debate. I was only asking a question.

My church is the one Jesus started. I don't believe in denoms and ordination. Denoms are in a name only. I can look up presbyterianism, anglicanism, baptism, pentecostalism, whatever, but the ad did not mention any denomination. It is for chaplains in schools, esp primary schools. In NZ we have public schools not affiliated with any religious group, we also have christian schools, and there are sects like catholics and SDAs that have their own schools.

I will go elsewhere to ask questions as I seem to be getting nowhere here.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟911,831.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I started the topic and it has nothing to do with pastor ordination. It was for ordinary people wanting to be chaplains, in response to an ad calling for them.
I have already scheduled an appointment and like I said it was cancelled/postponed twice already.

My church is the one Jesus started. I don't believe in denoms and ordination. Denoms are in a name only. I can look up presbyterianism, anglicanism, baptism, pentecostalism, whatever, but the ad did not mention any denomination. It is for chaplains in schools, esp primary schools. In NZ we have public schools not affiliated with any religious group, we also have christian schools, and there are sects like catholics and SDAs that have their own schools.

Their questions are relevant because most chaplains belong to a particular faith or denomination and while it might not be written in the ad, they'll almost certainly be looking for, at the very least, a particular faith and almost certainly the most common denomination in your country.

Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

On the contrary, it has everything to do with ordination. Chaplains are ordained ministers well before they become Chaplains.

Any reputable organization that certifies Chaplains will require them to be members of a church and have been ordained by a church. These organizations will also want references from local church officers. That is why I continue to point you back to your local church. It sounds to me that you do not belong to any local church, so this is going to be a major roadblock for your chaplain desires.

Now if some secular organization wants to hire someone that is not properly ordained, having some biblical training or experience and call that person "Chaplain" they may do so in regions where local rules and laws permit the same.

Here is a nice resource that explains what I have been speaking to:
http://www.ccccusa.com/cccc-chaplaincy-services/chaplaincy-links-and-contact-info/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I had a talk with the life walk coordinator today, she answered all my questions. I don't think there was any denomination bias at all. Actually forget to ask, nor did she ask me what denom I belonged to.

Also she said no, did not need ordination. I think it is something God would like me to commit to. I really like children, especially those who need someone who will listen to them about cares and concerns, and just reassure them that things will be fine.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It starts in Feb and she said as I had no income they would offer me the training for free..I think about 10 weeks in total. And I would be based at a local primary school for a minimum of 4 hours a week. I would need to commit to at least 2 years though.

Hopefully I will be able to find a local part time job as well to cover the cost of food and petrol. I think being a literacy tutor would be fun, especially for children who's parents don't speak much English. They don't have anybody to read to them. This will be after I finish my TESOL course.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Goodbook, sorry for missing your thread. Chaplains duties, qualifications, etc. vary from organization to organization. It would be best to inquire about the school chaplain at the school.

I do not know any shopping malls with chaplains but I have heard of some corporations that have a chaplain.

Grace and Peace
Chaplain Steve

I am a chaplain with Transport for Christ. We minister at truck stops where we are invited to serve.
TFC has both volunteer and staff chaplains. Volunteers merely need to be able to sign off on a very general statement of faith and apply.
Staff chaplains go through a vetting process that can last a year. They are required to have at least two years of Bible college. After the vetting process, they attend a week of formal chaplaincy training (including fundraising) and then go through a year's internship under an established chaplain.

Reactions: Goodbook
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ho, i forgot i had started this thread!

And now I think about it, a shopping mall chaplain is really needed. You dont know how many lost souls are wandering around shopping malls looking for something but cant find it because its something money cannot buy.

Upvote 0

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ho, i forgot i had started this thread!

And now I think about it, a shopping mall chaplain is really needed. You dont know how many lost souls are wandering around shopping malls looking for something but cant find it because its something money cannot buy.
It's a good thread. How have you been doing?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's a good thread. How have you been doing?
Hi Chaplain David!
Well I was called to be a teacher for bibles in schools so being a chaplain is kind of on hold for now. I told one of my friends whos now qualified as a social worker and looking for work about school chaplaincy but she wasnt really interested, she says she needs paid full time work.

I was thinking of the shopping mall chaplaincy because of the verse in Iasiah about God calling people to come buy all those who have no money... but as far as i know no such thing exists, my church does have a group of retired ladies and another group of men who meet in the mall for coffee but am not sure if they actually reach out to shoppers or just go there to chat amongst themselves so they can be out of the house.

This church I go to isnt the greatest at evangelism I found...i mean just to give you an idea only ONE person was baptised last year and it was the husband of someone already belonging to church.

Reactions: actionsub
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chaplain David

CF Chaplain
Nov 26, 2007
USA
✟284,152.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

The church you describe does seem to be having less internal evangelism than I'd expect. Is this something that you could meet with the deacons or pastor about? Perhaps you would be put to good use there?

As far as the public chaplaining you talk about I think it's great. I met a guy who used to come down to Market Square in Pittsburgh and preach. He always had an audience and some of them were Christians too. We need the services sometimes almost as much as the preChristian.

Please keep in touch. I think you're doing good work and would love to be updated. God bless you and what you are tasked to do.

Faithfully,

Upvote 0