May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

:) You'd be surprised at how many people say 1.00 Now that I think about it I asked the question wrong. it's supposed to be the ball is a dollar and the total is .10 how much is the bat, but anyway something like 70 percent of college students get this question wrong. It's an interesting look into the assumptions of the mind.

Three businessmen share a room. The clerk charges them $30. After they get to the room the clerk realizes that they were overcharged by $5.00. Not knowing how to split $5 three ways he decides to pocket $2 and gives them each back a dollar. They have now each payed $9. 3 times 9 is 27, plus the two in the clerks pocket is $29. Explain where the other dollar went.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Three businessmen share a room. The clerk charges them $30. After they get to the room the clerk realizes that they were overcharged by $5.00. Not knowing how to split $5 three ways he decides to pocket $2 and gives them each back a dollar. They have now each payed $9. 3 times 9 is 27, plus the two in the clerks pocket is $29. Explain where the other dollar went.
The dollar is in the clerk's pocket.

In reality, the businessmen paid $25 + $2 for both the room and the "tip" that the porter helped himself to.

To reduce it to a formula: 30 = 25 + 2 + (1+1+1).

Had the entire transaction taken place in the lobby, it would go like this:

Businessmen: We need a room please.
Front Desk Clerk: Sure. $25.00 please.
Businessmen: Here is $30.00.
Front Desk Clerk: Here is $5.00 change.
Businessmen: Here is $2.00 tip for the porter.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A two-slot toaster toasts only one side of bread at one time for a duration of 30 seconds.

So if you put two slices of bread in, it will toast only the A-side of each slice in 30 seconds.

Then you take the bread out, turn it around and toast the B-side of each slice for 30 seconds.

Thus it takes one minute to toast two slices of bread.

Question: What is the shortest amount of time required to toast three slices of bread, and how is it done?

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,703.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Buy one of these? Total time 30 seconds or so...
9350-1126.jpg

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,949,336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
^_^ That would do it, Jacks!

You could use the money you saved by taking two friends to the game once, and the dollar you got back from the desk clerk at the hotel, and the sale on baseball bats to buy that toaster! :oldthumbsup:

Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Songsmith

May 3, 2015
✟9,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
A two-slot toaster toasts only one side of bread at one time for a duration of 30 seconds.

So if you put two slices of bread in, it will toast only the A-side of each slice in 30 seconds.

Then you take the bread out, turn it around and toast the B-side of each slice for 30 seconds.

Thus it takes one minute to toast two slices of bread.

Question: What is the shortest amount of time required to toast three slices of bread, and how is it done?

Now, this is just thinking out loud here, but I think it's done in 1 1/2 minutes.

You would toast Side A of two slices.
Take one slice out and put a fresh one in to toast side A of the new slice and side B of the first one.
Then you would be able to toast the B side of both remaining slices.

That is my guess and I'm sticking to it. And the toast will still land butter side down even if it's only half toasted.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,703.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it is my belief that today is new years day. You're birthday was on December 31 when you turned 43. This year on December 31 you will be 44 and then next year, 45. Yes?

Yes! I'm actually born on December 31st and I couldn't figure it out until someone else told me! Well done.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0